No tracking pixel or image, but impressions are recorded
    There is a merchant in CJ which I actually never promoted specially, just placed a few banners here and there. I was always a bit suspicious about them, because before they jouned CJ I tested their inhouse affiliate program and my experience showed it was pure fraud (I sent them a mail with 5 proves of the fraud and they never bothered to object). But I trust CJ, so when they joined the network, I tested them again. I had a few sales with them, but the conversion rate was rather poor.

Recently I uploaded a new version of one of my websites, and totally updated all affiliate links for the merchant. I have ONLY affiliate links that should track clicks and sales, no tracking pixels and no tracking images, all banners are hosted on my server. So theoretically there can be no impressions recorded as far as I understand. However, my yesterday's statistics shows 3 impressions and 2 clicks for the merchant! I checked again all the links and code, and I know 100% that I don't have anything that can record impressions in the code.

My question is, can it be technically possible that impressions got recorded in this case? If not, what does it indicate?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webaurora View Post
    because before they jouned CJ I tested their inhouse affiliate program and my experience showed it was pure fraud
    Thanks.
    Why on earth would you promote them once they joined CJ? You found proof of fraud, but then you promote them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Why on earth would you promote them once they joined CJ? You found proof of fraud, but then you promote them anyway?
    Firstly, as I wrote above, I don't promote them specially, I just have a few banners for them here and there. Secondly, they pay 125.00 usd per sale, that is rather attractive I think. So even a few sales I had with them in CJ was worth it in my opinion. Thirdly, I was under impression that CJ provides tracking of sales once a merchant joined their network. Please correct me if I am wrong. That is actually what I wanted to find out: can a CJ merchant manipulate impressions, clicks and sales performance while they are tracked?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    There is no reason to manipulate impressions, its more than likely that 1) you missed a link pixel on your site somewhere or there is a page you forgot about. These pages seem to have a life of their own. or 2) someone copied some of your content onto their page and grabbed the pixel by 'mistake.'

Also, if there is fraud involved, how do you know its not really $5 per sale or less? You should find a more reputable merchant.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Totally agree with Oranges. You probably missed something somewhere. There's no way they can track impressions unless you have a tracking pixel (or network hosted banner) somewhere. How would they know?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sometimes our pages get cached, and past versions can be accessed via search results after they no longer exist.

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    its more than likely that 1) you missed a link pixel on your site somewhere or there is a page you forgot about. These pages seem to have a life of their own. or 2) someone copied some of your content onto their page and grabbed the pixel by 'mistake.'
    Since I totally rule out the first (the links have ever been only on one of my sites, recently I completely redesigned it and all the code is written anew from A to Z. I perfectly know that I haven't pasted any impression code in the new version of the site, and anyway I triple checked it again), the second does make sense to me and answers the question. I know that my content have been copied by a number of scrapers, so this really can be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    There's no way they can track impressions unless you have a tracking pixel (or network hosted banner) somewhere. How would they know?
    Absolutely agree. That is why I posted here Just looked as a wonder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Sometimes our pages get cached, and past versions can be accessed via search results after they no longer exist.
    Also a possibility I suppose.

Anyway the issue persists, and last 2 days impressions show up in the statistics again..

I have never noticed anything like this for any of my other merchants...

I also have links that I eliminated well over a year ago that still track impressions. Several months ago I went to one of my web pages and indeed saw the old link on a computer I didn't use very often. Hitting "Refresh" brought up the new link. So I, too, have seen old links show long after being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by webaurora View Post
    the second does make sense to me and answers the question. I know that my content have been copied by a number of scrapers, so this really can be the case.

Could you be getting clicks/view from your own auctions when you viewed the banners on CJ or maybe in an email they sent?

Also a possibility I suppose.
    Not just a possibility, a probability. Caches hang around for a long time, especially the WayBack Machine. I have seen impressions/clicks on ePN campaigns that had been removed for 6-10 months.

If you're showing "moving items" on your site that means a lot of times users will not find what they searched for on your page when they get there from an SE. The savvy ones all go back and look at the cached versions when that happens.

Yep cache seems the most plausible explanation, besides you really shouldn't be promoting a merchant you suspect of fraud, merchants get suspended from CJ all the time, so they also have problems getting payment from some of them

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread