Working Out Webmerge-created Index and Detail Page URLs.
    Hi...

I wonder if anyone has already come up with a good way of Working Out Webmerge-created Index and Detail Page URLs.

I know I can use the Navigation tags (WM-Link... ), but I want to build my own links so I can add title and alt tags to the link. I need to know the url which webmerge will create and this will then make my life much easier. At the moment I am adding lots of columns/fields to my input file, and 'manually' removing spaces and other invalid characters from the field which I am using as th basis for my page names.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

I am having the same fun. I can generate category indexes with all the proper links, but then manually adding in the title and alt tags takes up all the time I saved. I hope Frank will come in and tell us where to find the answer.

Affiliate Manager
    I'd like to see this too. Can you tell me how you'd like to see the syntax look? I'll be happy to see if I can put that in v2.7.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Smile Detail and Index Page URLs
    Hi Richard... it would be great if you could.

I see it being another two Webmerge Info Tags. I'll be happy if you just keep it simple, and create tags called something like:

[WM-CurrentRecordUrl] which gives the url of the current detail page.
    [WM-IndexRecordUrl] for the url of the current index page.

In either case, if it just returns the http://etc url of the current page or index on its own it would meet my requirements. It would be good if both tags could be used in both index and detail pages.

I wonder if this would be sufficient for 2busy's requirements too

Thanks... Mark

Affiliate Manager
    Re-reading your original post, I see that you wrote "I want to build my own links so I can add title and alt tags to the link." WebMerge should support that now, since v2.5 and later, since it will allow any optional attributes you like following any WebMerge attributes you use, even JavaScript calls and CSS class assignments.

For example, this should work:

[WM-Field: MyField nolink alt="This is my alt info" class="MyCoolLinksClass"]

I see that's not documented well in the current version, so I'll be expanding the Help page for the WM-Field tag in v2.7 to make that clearer.

If that's not working for you please let me know and we'll work out the syntax to make sure it does.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I have been adding in a column/field to use for page names so that they are lower case and don't have any word---word in them and still contain the product names for detail pages. I use WM-Fields for alt and title tags and that isn't working within another field like imagepath. In the example above it would be:
    [WM-IMAGEPATH nolink alt="[WM-Field: alt info]" class="MyCoolLinksClass"]. In a normal record field it is no problem, but in the fields used for generating links to index pages and category links the field generates closed tags within the [ ] brackets. I've probably mangled the description of the situation, and have no clue what would fix it. I really think it is my problem because I don't have a complete grasp of all the functions which is why I think if I had a week with nothing else to do that I could dig deeper and find what I need.

Detail and Index Page URLs
    Hi Richard...

What you have explained will meet the majority of my requirements, so that is great.

The other reason I need to have access to the url being generated is so I can easily generate sitemaps. Simple text sitemaps just need one url per line, with just the http://etc address and no hyperlink.

Cheers... Mark

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread