Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm looking around MailWasher Pro and I stumble upon the Stats. I installed this version about 30 days ago, because I just registered it after the trial period a couple of days ago.

I'm not able to run reports for even a week because the program will choke. But for just today:

Emails received: 4035
    Spam Filtered: 3983 (that's not including the spam it misses, but that's not too many)

Totals since installed:
    Email received: 74525
    Spam Filtered: 68302
    Spam as percentage: 91%

And yes I do have filters set at the server level also. I have SpamAssassin running on one heavily hit domain. Another domain I had to turn it off because of a conflict with cpanel and it was deleting my legit email also. If I had to turn off SpamAssassin where it is running, those numbers would jump by at least 50%.

Have I said how much I hate spam??? Anyone feeling sorry for me yet???

But did you get the email I sent you on 8-4? Haven't heard back from you...

Just went and checked Connie and it's there. Sorry about that. I left to go out of town that day but it did survive the 7k emails I had waiting for me when I got back. Thankfully that account isn't getting hit yet.

I'll go answer it now. It just got lost in the shuffle of the legit ones I had and me getting caught up from being away.

Thanks! I was waiting patiently....

I feel sorry for you Ms.B I know what its like to look at 1000+ emails
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Did you get the one I sent you yesterday? No hurry on it but since you have sooooo much coming thru (glad mine's not like your's!!), just want to check and see if you got it.

ABW Ambassador

Hi, Ms. B,

One possible way to cut down on the harvesting
    of email addresses off of your web site is to
    list your email addresses on .png or .gif
    graphics rather than as text entries.

I do this on my web site. So far I'm averaging about two spams per day. (Knock on wood!).

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

I receive well over 1000 spams a day.

To prevent any further harvesting I conceal my e-mail address on my sites inside a javascript.

Recently, it occured to me that I could pre-enter a subject line, so when I receive a message with this certain subject, my spam filter will recognize it as good.

This works well, but I'm still some way from a full solution (like the perfect spam filter that doesn't yet exist).

It's worth saying that if you conceal your e-mail address in an image, then it must not be linked, otherwise the address will be in the source code and very harvestable. Like on RadarCat's site, the user will have to enter it manually into the address field.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ms.B when all the smoke clears Me and Charlie will cut you into our spiff off the Digi-eStamp solution which no one can claim won't cure spam. No digi-eStamp no delivery of the message. None of the spammers, Opt-in or OUT, can figure out what to put in an e-mail worth a 1 penny digi-eStamp or 100th of a cent for bulk e-mailers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

My problem with spam at the moment is the other way around.. someone is using randomly generated addresses on one of my domains in the "To:" field and is happily spamming away with them. I've received about 8500 bounce messages in four days with no sign of a let up.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

A simple contact page using a form should take care of that.

It looks professional, too.

If you need one, I can make one up for you in PHP.
    Deleted

According to Eudora, I've gotten 98% junk. That excludes the addresses where I'm using spam filtering. Oh my.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I get hundreds of SPAM emails a day myself and bounce everyone of them with MailWasher Pro.

Does anyone know if boucing SPAM does any good? Do the SPAMers even care about bounced email?

TM
    Travelin' Colorado

Typically bouncing the messages does no good at all, because the From: field is fake and some poor sod like me ends up with all the bounce messages.

8732 now and counting...

Animal Lover
    Moo

I feel your pain...I'm in the same spoofing arena...and what's worse, I get rude emails telling me to stop spamming others with email addresses that don't exist but are tagged with my domain name...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Moo,

Been there too. Right now (knock on wood), I'm only getting about 50 or so of those a day. When that and the spam are both in full swing, that's when I just want to crawl into a cave somewhere. Or throw the computer across the room.

Thanks for the offer Stevinid. The problem is that the 2 domains that are the worse culprits are domains that have been around for over 5 years and the spammers have them already. Once you get on those CD's, it's a done deal.

I just had 180 in under 5 minutes. I think I'm being targeted.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread