4Checks did not track
    I placed an order with 4Checks (GAN) on Sunday which has not tracked.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Hijacked, maybe, by one of the many parasites?

Anyway of finding out what happened here? I sure would like an update

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Hijacked, maybe, by one of the many parasites?
    Bill, I'm sure he would know if he had parasites on his computer. That kind of comment doesn't help anybody.

Did you check the source code of the order confirmation page to see if a tracking pixel was present? That would either confirm or eliminate one possible cause of "tracking failure".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Bill, I'm sure he would know if he had parasites on his computer. That kind of comment doesn't help anybody.
    Sorry, I must have responded to that in a fog this morning - meaning before my second cup of coffee. Upon re-reading the OP I see that it was his own computer on which the order was placed (don't know how I could have missed that). I suppose because (tell me if I'm being naive or not) I also track orders placed by friends and family and may have inferred that was the case.

@ Danny - I apologize for not being any help in your thread.

@ Trust - Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate you keeping an eye on me.

OK - back on topic...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok.

I'm just always against misinformation and fear with this kind of thing. If your computer is clean, then it's not a parasite issue. You can have new people reading this and getting confused. Then I thought, since you were a competing check merchant, it was more marketing as well.

But, I'll take what you said.

Well I am not a "competing check merchant" but I am an affiliate of 4checks, and tracking failure is a matter of grave concern to me.

And "parasites on your computer" are only one type of parasite; parasitic affiliates. Merchants can be parasites too by disabling tracking mechanisms. Networks (or network employees) can be parasites by diverting sales.

I'm not saying this is the case here, or that it is likely to be, but the simple fact is that if a purchase was not tracked and credited to an affiliate, then SOMETHING is wrong.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

ABW Ambassador
    "then SOMETHING is wrong"

Exactly but we both know what people think when somebody says parasite, you can expand the definition if you want. It's not "parasitic affiliates" if you don't have them on your computer. So it's something else and that's what needs to be found out. Could be lots of things.

Side note, I actually have 2 4checks sales yesterday and 1 today.

From what I've seen, sales at GAN, track pretty instantly, so this one should have also.

Side note, I actually have 2 4checks sales yesterday and 1 today
    I've had some too.

But that is beside the point and totally irrelevant to the fact that Mr. Bonin made a purchase that did not get tracked and credited.

If his purchase did not get tracked.... how many of your referrals did not get credited to you? How many of my referrals did not get credited to me?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I've had some too.

But that is beside the point and totally irrelevant to the fact that Mr. Bonin made a purchase that did not get tracked and credited.

If his purchase did not get tracked.... how many of your referrals did not get credited to you? How many of my referrals did not get credited to me?
    We're not disagreeing on that part. But you know very well, over the years that when something happens, there has been this tendency to scream parasite and usually people stopped at that. And we never got to the real problem. And it's not parasites, the affilite parasites/adware if he doesn't have them on his computer. And I'm guessing he doesn't, since he's been here awhile and knows about them.
    Last edited by Trust; August 31st, 2010 at 02:43 PM.

Indifference is no better.

I understand that you are not concerned about the matter, the fact that you "got some sales" in recent days is enough to satisfy what little concern that you may have had.

It's not good enough for me though, and probably not good enough for Mr. Bonin, and probably not good enough for many other affiliates who have a lot of time and effort invested in promoting this particular merchant. We're concerned about orders that did not track, not orders that did.

Perhaps it would be better for you to stay out of threads about matters that are of no concern to you? :P

Networks (or network employees) can be parasites by diverting sales.
    I once read an article and I really wish I had kept it where an network employee had set up sites under his girlfriend and a friend . Being he was on the inside he was diverting all sales to these sites and making big bucks. This issue has never been discussed here at all. I really wonder if this is still ongoing

ABW Ambassador
    Indifference is no better.

I understand that you are not concerned about the matter, the fact that you "got some sales" in recent days is enough to satisfy what little concern that you may have had.

It's not good enough for me though, and probably not good enough for Mr. Bonin, and probably not good enough for many other affiliates who have a lot of time and effort invested in promoting this particular merchant. We're concerned about orders that did not track, not orders that did.

Perhaps it would be better for you to stay out of threads about matters that are of no concern to you? :P
    Where do you see indifference? You see me wanting to get to the real problem, whatever that is. Not screaming parasite, when it's not. It's never been good giving crutches to affiliates, you do that still sometimes and sometimes it's like you're just wanting to get at some other check merchant. And like I said, since I'm also an affiliate of 4checks, it is my concern as well.

And now reading the post before mine, you did exactly that, when that kind of thing probably happens very rarely.
    Last edited by Trust; August 31st, 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    I placed an order with 4Checks (GAN) on Sunday which has not tracked.
    I always advise my wife to clear all her cookies and come through my link fresh right before making a purchase. Not sure where I got this plan since I'm forgetting so many tech details these days. It seems like the fairest way to give the merchant a test purchase. You may have even done that.

Most customers aren't going to pull over and clear their cookies before they proceed to click on an affiliate's link. It would be fair if the affiliate gets credited for a purchase regardless of whatever other cookie action there may have been before theirs was set.

Most customers aren't going to pull over and clear their cookies before they proceed to click on an affiliate's link. It would be fair if the affiliate gets credited for a purchase regardless of whatever other cookie action there may have been before theirs was set.
    Of course you are right, but it rules out some things if you are mostly interested in seeing if the tracking on the merchant site is working. It's like debugging a script. You have to attack the problem in segments.

No response as of today from 4Checks.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread