Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Checkmate to Facebook!
    Hi all...

Just wanted to share this link with you, it's about the "anti-Facebook" social network about to be launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11108891

Diaspora is the name, is said to have a the most secure system when it comes to privacy and most important of all, they won't store the users information or claim rights on it like Facebook.

Would you switch?

I'm not a big facebook user, but all my relatives are on there. They are scattered across the Southern US and it would be hard to get them all to switch.

I wouldn't switch, either. The only reason I'm on Facebook is because I have a large portion of my family and friends on there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I just recently cut back on Facebook by ending my Mafia Wars addiction. I don't think I'll be looking for a replacement.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager
    I will be sitching without thinking twice... The idea of sharing my info only with the ones I want to, seduces me

Specially if Facebook is not around to claim rights on my stuff

Cheers!
    Last edited by Victoria B; August 31st, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

http and a telephoto
    People are on Facebook because people are on Facebook. You can set your privacy levels to an acceptable level and you control of course *what* you post there.

No social network or website is 100% secure and in the future they can all change their rules on a whim or sell to a company that can "change the rules".

Social networks are only as successful as the people that use them. The new one will fill a need, but I bet most of those people that use it will still be on Facebook.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I wouldn't switch either. My fiends and family are all on Facebook. I like the fact that I can get maximum exposure if I want to. You can change your privacy settings if you don't want to share your information with everyone.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbar_Wix View Post
    I wouldn't switch either. My fiends and family are all on Facebook. I like the fact that I can get maximum exposure if I want to. You can change your privacy settings if you don't want to share your information with everyone.
    Of course you can what you can't is prevent Facebook for claiming the rights over anything your post there... what about posting a pic of your baby daughter to find out that this pic is used to promote baby products?

This is what it's not fair about Facebook, it's not a matter of privacy anymore, goes beyond it

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    what about posting a pic of your baby daughter to find out that this pic is used to promote baby products?
    FB is not using pictures of its users for promotional purposes (as far as I know) and I'm pretty sure you can sue any company that uses your pictures without permission, even if they are posted on FB.

Affiliate Manager
    Please take a look

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php#!/terms.php

Facebook can sue them, not you, because Facebook owns the rights on that pic

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    Please take a look

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php#!/terms.php

Facebook can sue them, not you, because Facebook owns the rights on that pic
    I don't see that. What I see is "You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook..."

It goes on to say you give them permission (subject to your privacy and application settings) to use the content. They have to get this permission or they couldn't show anything you post or share. The right ends when you delete the content.

I'll be staying as long as my friends are there.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager
    "We can limit your access to data".
    Is a very clear statement Greg.

We are not discussing here if Facebook is good or bad, we are talking about another option that could be or not, a better one.

Sounds interesting to me having the possibility to do as I want with all my info, ideas and thoughts with no need to sign an agreement that takes from me everything that I post.

I actually want to believe that people have no idea about Facebook T&C otherwise they really don't care about privacy, and I am not talking about blocking this guy or the other dude, I am talking about copyrighted material.

The question is if everyone knows about Facebook T&C

Cheers!

I'm going to take a good look at it when it comes out as I would like an option to facebook.

Insofar as nobody from switching from FB, AltaVista.... meet Google.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

http and a telephoto
    The Facebook T&C was discussed at length when they made a bad change last year, they reversed that change within days. They can use your images and content within their own site, but cannot sell your content to an advertiser to put your baby on a baby food jar.

If you are aware of the terms, Flickr actually allows people to use your image even more than Facebook does. No place is completely private, so if you are worried about your content being used in a way you don't want it to, don't post it to the internet at all.

I personally won't post images I have for sale on Facebook or Flickr or any other shareing site. Just posting in my own gallery opens the images up for stealing.

There are limits to what you can do, this new network will not give you any more protection. But have fun with that Everyone needs to go where they need to go. For business, we will be staying at Facebook and where ever else our merchants, affiliates and customers are.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    There are limits to what you can do, this new network will not give you any more protection.
    Agree that stealing images can happen from any site, however, as to protecting one's personal information, you simply cannot know that yet.
    ~Lynn Hall

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Agree that stealing images can happen from any site, however, as to protecting one's personal information, you simply cannot know that yet.
    Based on my experience on the internet, nothing posted on the web is ever completely private. If someone wants to get it, they will.

You missed my point, but that's ok. Let's just agree.
    ~Lynn Hall

You missed Deb's point. If anybody really gave a damn about privacy issues they wouldn't post private information on the internet at all.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I didn't miss her point at all, some places are safer than others is all. Some websites protect your info better (If you choose to give it). Some websites privacy protection promises are a complete skam, David.
    ~Lynn Hall

The point still being that if you want to keep information about yourself private, keep it to yourself and don't go posting it up on the internet. Yanno?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    You missed my point, but that's ok. Let's just agree.
    I didn't miss your point at all.

I think these kids are geniuses. I saw them when they were raising the money at kickstarter and I knew they had something big when all they were asking for was like 10K and they had received already 170K

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonusman View Post
    I think these kids are geniuses. I saw them when they were raising the money at kickstarter and I knew they had something big when all they were asking for was like 10K and they had received already 170K
    I agree with you, seems that these guys are really serious about this project and lot of ppl are contributing to the cause.

Cheers!

ABW Ambassador
    Eh, they would be if they came up with the idea, not copy it off somebody. It's not going to be any checkmate or anything like that to Facebook (too big/ingrained). If you're the first/one of the first and do it right, you're hard to beat. Ask any of the Twitter clones how they're doing. I doubt this gets any real traction, you'll have some people sign up to check out, some will become regulars but they're late in the game. Will be another in the long line of Facebook wannabes. Their name sounds like a shoe too.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, had to find out what shoe it was reminding me of - http://www.zappos.com/mens-diadora
    Last edited by Trust; September 3rd, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

@Trust: As a rule, you're right. But MySpace disagrees.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast