Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was speaking to an affiliate manager yesterday and we started the whole what is affiliate marketing and it's it's benefit discussion and because we never finished it, I decided to post it here as an open discussion to get a nice cross section of views - content supporters (cough cough), pure datafeed players and everyone in between.

I, personally, see affiliate marketing's value added as primarily the ability/capability to get directed to specific product or service via a SERP without drudging through multiple sites of useless content or clutter (i.e.. If I am looking for Martell XO Cognac [My Fav] (see http://www.google.com/search?q=marte...utf-8&oe=utf-8) and I click on the first link ... www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/martell.html I see the perfect example of affiliate marketing at it's finest - a sales page with no superfluous clutter and a link to buy. When I click the link to buy I'm sent to the merchant's product sales page and then ... viola a sale. This is what affiliate marketing is all about and a perfect definition/example of the value added by the channel to me.

What's your take? (come on content guys, beat that!)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>come on content guys, beat that!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, trying to pick a fight or what?

No just a good healthy conversation detailing the value added from both sides.

I was only "goosing" the content people

BTW - The AM I was speaking with is totally "content affiliate" centric.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

OK, I'll jump knowing I'll need to be ready for flames ...

The big value-add from our perspective is that AM allows us to make easier for our users to find the things they want. It follows a natural progression in the evolution of our site.

We started out by simply placing newspaper stories online. We soon realized that people wanted to get most of their news in one place, so we added additional news content.

Then we realized people wanted to view classifieds online, so we added them. And they made it clear that they wanted to search for local homes, cars & jobs in one spot, so we added that.

We know from historical data, common sense, research and anecdotal evidence that they also want local shopping information pulled into one spot, so we're developing the appropriate products now.

And since our users are already using the Web for shopping, why not make it easier for them by instituting affiliate marketing. It helps make our site a close-too one-stop destination for a lot of Internet activity.

I'm hyped on this because we had some focus groups last night and the main focus was online shopping habits. We MBA-niks love this sort of thing.

ABW Ambassador
    I would ask you to define content site before speculating, as some might think (myself included) that THIS IS A CONTENT SITE. Where from your post, i think you believe it is not.

Chet

Forgot to add ...

Obviously, from the merchants point of view, we're extending their reach. I'd make a similar pitch to an online-only retailer that I would to one of our local businesses.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice to see you found an affiliate Liquor review site on the #1 spot for the search. Not even a subsequent coupon search vai another window would have overwritten his cookie as the display leads to a Yahoo store coded link.(not a major network). So the affiliate found a niche' and researched the products, made up his own datafeed, photo/description and generated his clean indexed product pages.

No tricks or hoops for the shopper to jump through. Google trolled his page and he even was able to score a direct link in the #3 spot http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...f+rws1827.html that gives him credit there too. Page building effort with smart SEO without any worries of your own tricks tumbling you out of the SERPs makes good long term planning.

Norton won't block the links and the liquor niche' isn't plagued with popup BHO triggers. The guy can now afford som more spin for the page thanks to Haiko. Now pour me a short shot and hope this becomes the future openings for those who see putting value into a click from a shoppers viewpoint.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Chet:

I assume that you are speaking to Haiko???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    I would ask you to define content site before speculating, as some might think (myself included) that THIS IS A CONTENT SITE. Where from your post, i think you believe it is not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't see this as a "Content site" I see limited "content" that is completely and obviously sales pitch oriented and not content oriented by my definition -ie. the history of cognac or martell's history, how cognac is made, the different makers of cognac, etc.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Karl,

I don't see your mentality or methodology as "content" oriented (see examples of such in my answer to Chet above).
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Haiko:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't see your mentality or methodology as "content" oriented <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To take a twist on Slick Willie, it all depends on what your definition of "content" oriented is.

We make content, in the traditional sense of the word, decisions based largely on market demand. That market-driven approach led us to affiliate marketing.

And while the approach might not be considered content-oriented, I think most folks would agree that phillyBurbs is a content site. That being said, we obviously generate revenue, a lot of revenue. The two cannot be separated, in my opinion. There's no way that I'm going to have the luxury of five content editors (nor my boss the luxury of our designer, technical manager and sales team) without generating significant revenue.

Our content helped establish a solid - and growing - audience. The size and demographics of that audience naturally attracts the interest of businesses and service providers. That leads to revenue opportunities.

I'm starting to ramble here, but I guess the point is, maybe Chet is right. Perhaps you need to define content site a bit.

For my 2 cents content is content ... if a beer bottle has water in it then it still has "content", no matter what the "content" is it is "content".

Maybe the word "content" is the wrong word to use in this instance maybe "sales blurb" for sales oriented sites and "rubbish" for other sites like phillyburbs.com

You know I'm only kidding Karl
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the question shoule be posted to our site visitors. There are some looking for a product and finding an affiliate site directing them to a merchant selling the product is value to them. There are some that know what product they want to find and go to a comparison shopping site to try to find the best price on that product. There are some that know what merchant they want to shop at and know their favorite coupon site will give them a coupon or promotion to save money on their purchase. Different shoppers look for different things and affiliates fill those needs.

Haiko has some class - Martell XO Cognac - good stuff.

But is this content: The ad part.

"Looking For Martell XO Cognac? Click Here."

You click here and go to Yaddah, yaddah, Martell XO Cognac at x amount with free shipping page. Nice picture of bottle and a bimbo all star.

Click Here To Buy It Now.

You click over pays your money and hope the bottle dosen't break in transit....

Or is this content

The complete BS on the history of Cognac with links to Martell XO Cognac...if you want to buy it.

I say they are both content, one just contains more useless drivel for one purpose than for the other one.

Now if you were writing a term paper on Cognac, you might prefer B to A. But if you were looking to buy the stuff you might prefer A. But both get the sales job done.

Only testing would say which does it best.

ABW Ambassador
    I see things from the SEO/SEM perspective.
    How does it benefit the merchant?

Once a merchant has found and hired a firm dedicated to that function the
    merchant can stop there OR hire 10 to 30 more SEO/SEM firms or individuals
    acting as affiliates that get paid on performance only using differing
    methodologies.

It's a win/win.

The merchant pays on performance ONLY and the SEO/SEM doesn't have to take any %$#@ from the merchant.

[Is that too simple?]

Content is Content....

Hmm... Benefits is the keyword here.
    The benefits to the merchant is that he gets to advertise in parts of the country without having to pay for traditional ads. Savings and time bonus.

The benefits to the customer is like Haiko says less time searching the net, getting more product choices and savings too.

The benefits to us is more products to sell for income than drop shipping, retail, etc. Oh and we get time savings too.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... that get paid on performance only using differing methodologies.

It's a win/win.

The merchant pays on performance ONLY and the SEO/SEM doesn't have to take any %$#@ from the merchant.

[Is that too simple?] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple = easy and not complicated

Elegant = of seemingly effortless beauty in form or proportion

Your answer was both.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You know I'm only kidding Karl <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense taken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    I, personally, see affiliate marketing's value added as primarily the ability/capability to get directed to specific product or service via a SERP without drudging through multiple sites of useless content or clutter....

What's your take? (come on content guys, beat that!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you threw the guantlet down...

Yes, good example but... what about the "potential customer" who might not have ever heard of or seen a particular thing for sale. They come to my site to look at the content -- and there along with the content is something relevant to buy. I have just introduced said "potential customer" to product/merchant.

So I think that it works both ways - there can be "sales only sites" that direct people to a merchant for something they all ready know they want and also content driven sites that introduce people to a merchant/product.

Both work but the "useless" content site is easier to get links to

And how useful a sales site is or the content site is depends on the end user - there is room for both. IMHO
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>get directed to specific product or service via a SERP <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko: I didn't address this in my original post, but Ebudae brings it up, so ...

Not everyone uses the search engines to find stuff. Certainly, we don't use it for AM and folks are finding us and buying stuff through our links. Again, our focus groups reinforced that for us.

My sites are content sites in various niches and after going through a number of ideas of how my sites should work I've come up the following two ways - don't laugh they do work!

1/ 1st model, my sites are like the store at the British Museum or National Portrait Gallery. People go along not because it's the best selection in town, but because there's stuff you just don't see together at all any where else and you just can't reproduce that ambience antwhere else. I provide a nice atmosphere to buy in. You know those stores you've been to, for you sometimes they get it just right, you walk in and you know you're going to buy something, you're not that bothered what, but you just like the stuff they have and the atmosphere so much, you just want to get to the till and own something they have.

2/ Extravagant labels on items and sales people who sell to you without you realising it. Forget the item, what it costs, what it is next door, these are the reasons that you should buy it... these are the reasons it's right for you... this is why your fears of a duff purchase are unfounded.

The killer bit of doing this on the net is that at the same time you can deliver via the right merchants, the best price and great service.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One advantage content sites offer to merchants is spontaneous (unplanned) purchases. A visitor to a content site may be looking for information or entertainment but is then exposed to contextually relevant ads upon reaching the site. The visitor hadn't gone to the site for the purpose of making a purchase but is enticed to once they reach the site.

The content site doesn't necessarily compete directly with the merchant in the SEs which some AMs prefer to direct SE competition. This is short-sighted in my opinion because the merchants should be competing with their fellow merchants, not their affiliates. If a merchant runs a clean, attractive affiliate program to entice affiliates with the highest ranked sites, those affiliates can help force the merchant's competitors out of the top listings of the SEs. Happy merchant...happy affiliate.

(Side note: I couldn't believe my ears when someone told me that some Affiliate Managers actually look at Alexa rankings when deciding who to admit to their program.)

My "content" site never made much money. My sites that consist of only products have allowed me to stay home free to do as I please.

Nuff said.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I don't know. Don't you think it would be better if he or she would have put up some information about how grain is turned into alcohol and how it's bottled and shipped to it's destination? You could learn how the glass is blown to make the bottles and how the metal caps are made from recycled aluminum and how by turning in your pop cans you help our economy grow while at the same time save the environment which the whales will need if they live because the world is getting warmer due to the greenhouse effect which wouldn't happen if you'd just recycle those cans. It's important to remember everyone has to do their part so here is a link to greenhousegasses.com. Oh you wanted to buy something? Sorry pal go to some other site.

Hey! That's real good! All you other affiliates just go and do that, OK?

Me? I guess, I will just keep doing what I do now.

But, don't let that stop you. Please! Go write those content pages, OK?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast