Tax Paying Member
    Here Comes Earl
    Earl is on the rampage.........

.All of you folks with your buttz hanging into the Atlantic need to be careful..........That means you Bill....Tie the planes down.

NC has already started some evacuation of the extreme outer coast. There is only one low lying road and one bridge to the mainland from Hatteras.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

http and a telephoto
    Hope everyone stays safe and it goes east enough to not impact us all. Vinny says we are going to get hit Saturday. If we end up evacuated we spend the weekend at Aquaduct! What a place to get evaced to!

If I were in NC I'd be headed inland to a hotel ASAP!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ocean City has emergency plans in place - just in case the storm takes turn more toward land. If it stays on the center of the "projected" track then our Maryland and Delaware beaches will have the equivalent of a wintertime nor'easter. Bad enough, but not as bad as a Cat 3 Hurricane.

Stay safe, everyone.

@Witzer - I actually keep the airplane far away from the coast. It's in a hangar about a half hour drive northeast from our Baltimore house. I would only worry if the storm changes track and heads directly up the Chesapeake Bay. Interesting though, if that were to happen, my insurance policy would cover the cost of relocating the plane at least 100 miles away from the storm's path.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Earl passed us Sunday - Monday, for awhile it looked like it was coming through, but that was before it had built up as much as it is now. We got a few inches of rain and gusts up to 20 MPH. I'm hoping it follows Danielle into oblivion.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Earl passed us Sunday - Monday, for awhile it looked like it was coming through, but that was before it had built up as much as it is now. We got a few inches of rain and gusts up to 20 MPH. I'm hoping it follows Danielle into oblivion.
    Glad to here it pretty much missed you. People are pulling boats out of the water here and pretty much bracing for a big one. We'll know after it hits or misses North Carolina.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Annnndddd..... power outage due to the heat. Grid here is overloaded.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Weather man said you had cool on the way up there. Hope it comes quick an bumps Earl.

Ouch! That is awful.

Not only the hottest summer on record but this week's heat wave was predicted far in advance. You'd think the power company could do a better job of preparing.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

I do not miss hurricane stress.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Bill you need to add a generator section to the beach sites
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    If you saw the power "grid" here, you would understand. lol. Staten Island lost power yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Bill you need to add a generator section to the beach sites
    Uh-uh...candles and wine.

@ Debbie. I do know what you mean. Old, but charming, neighborhoods have [just plain] old infrastructure. Last summer our entire neighborhood was a mess because the water mains were being upgraded and/or replaced. They hadn't been touched in over 60 years.

Water mains, I hear they will be putting them in here soon lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The Maryland and Delaware beaches escaped with only some winds, gusts and rain - nothing too bad. Not even as bad as a normal wintertime nor'easter. I do feel badly for the folks in the eastern end of maritime New England. They may have a rough time of it.

As an aside - traffic has really spiked today for my main beach site. I'm getting three times normal September traffic. I have one page that lists and links to several beach-cams - and people want to "see" what is going on downey ocean (as Merlinders like to say). It's interesting to see the long-tail key phrases that people are using to find that one page (which could hit 5-figures today in page views - woohoo).

http and a telephoto
    Our problem is that there isn't any way to put the lines underground, *all* the power and internet cables are above ground, hence subject to wind problems. Looks like we might be ok now though.
    Deborah Carney

Tax Paying Member
    Our problem is that there isn't any way to put the lines underground,
    Why would that be??

When the dry air and I mean dry........We need rain inland..........mixed with old Earl, it took the wind out of his sails.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

http and a telephoto
    Witzer, we are on an island. No basements, no underground cables. We have water and sewers and that's about it. No gas lines either. Everyone has their own tanks of gas and oil burners are the norm for heat.

Certainly different from where I grew up!!! But I like it. We just got some spectacular sunset photos over the bay with the clouds stirred up by Earl...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread