Question iPad or Netbook
    Which one is best when travelling to check email and minor online functions?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

My iPad is great for what you described. I bought it, as opposed to a netbook, because it works anywhere there is AT&T cell connectivity - via 3G. However it will first check for an open WIFI connection. I signed up for the 2-Gigs of service and used less than 40% of that in the first month. (Obviously, I was not streaming video. )

I bought it specifically because I was going on a four day (baseball) road trip a couple weeks before Summit - and knew I had some things to keep up with. It was somebody else's turn to drive this year. I did experience some connectivity problems going through the mountains of western Pennsylvania - so I would turn it off and try again as we approached the next town. It is a nice tool.

Oh, yeah - AND - the battery life is incredible.

BTW - you saw us using it at Summit at our Meet Market table.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Having a netbook and seeing Bills IPad at Summit I would get an IPad.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    I like my netbook. I think I would be too hard on an iPad AND I like keyboards. Touch screens are not a fav.

Your determining factors should be:
    Do you want a keyboard
    Do you want AT&T service
    Do you want to be able to close the cover

To me those are the determining factors and no one can tell you which is better for you.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Your determining factors should be:
    Do you want a keyboard - not necessarily
    Do you want AT&T service - never, why would i need it with just wifi?
    Do you want to be able to close the cover - i don't know yet...
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

http and a telephoto
    Bill, can you plug a broadband card into the iPad, or is it just AT&T or local wifi?

I like to be able to close the cover I saw some very thin netbooks tonight when we were out.

iPad might be just right for you, but I need to be able to plug things in, like usb drives, wireless mice. I think I saw someone with a keyboard attached to an iPad, so maybe it has some input capabilities. I didn't look at one closely enough
    Deborah Carney

you can't plug in one into a ipad but you can get a mifi for the same cost as a wifi card and share with up to 5 devices included your iPad.

Also many phones offer thetering if yu have sprint its included with some plans

I travel a lot and have both netbook and ipad i find myself using the ipad more i got the eyboard for it.
    Last edited by HardwareGeek; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Bill, can you plug a broadband card into the iPad, or is it just AT&T or local wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek View Post
    you can't plug in one into a ipad but you can get a mifi for the same cost as a wifi card and share with up to 5 devices included your iPad.
    I have a Cradlepoint Router that I use. It lets you plug a USB aircard into it, and then it makes the connection available via WiFi.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I have a Cradlepoint Router that I use. It lets you plug a USB aircard into it, and then it makes the connection available via WiFi.
    Can you use that away from home? It sounds like yes. I'm not very familiar with Apple equipment, but am trying to figure out what is better also. Trying to keep an open mind
    Deborah Carney

Yes, I use it as a "backup" at home, and take it with me almost everywhere I go. It's about the size of a pack of cards (plus a power plug and the aircard and I also have a small external antenna). It's great when you have multiple devices that need Internet access.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm thinking netbook since I travel and blog. I don't think I could live without a keyboard. But my wife does want to start saving up so we can have the iPad for home use.
    Greg Hoffman

>"so we can have the iPad for home use."

At home I use a laptop most of the time. EXCEPT if lounging on the couch or on the porch. For example, last evening watching the Ravens/Rams game - I was able to keep up with some forum posting and email.

At one point good ol' Verizon lost the signal in our neighborhood - but the iPhone automatically switched over to 3G and I kept right on keepin' on. Jill was visiting for a while and her netbook was down for the count.

Oh yeah, another point - the screen is readable outdoors. My MacBook is worthless outside.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I find my week old iPad much more social - I can sit on say the couch and check my email well my wife watches a movie - that is so much better than hunched over in the office.

My wife (who has zero portable electronics - no texting etc..) took the iPad on a trip two days ago, her first email was about three paragraphs so by that gauge the keyboard is not that bad.

One huge plus is the boot up time is zero, apps load very fast and you are productive or entertained almost immediately. Even on my Mac laptop the wake from sleep, and the wait for it to connect to WIFI is much slower.

iPad all the way! Here is why, you can make your ipad do or function the same way as a netbook. You can't the other way .. for example, you can get the keyboard dock for when you really want to write a good blog post and the touchscreen in just too much (however, I think the touchscreen keyboard is quite big in landscape that if you are returning emails, tweeting, iming, ect .. no big deal at all. I do, however, agree with lox that I like keyboards, sooo, you can always buy the dock (looks like it is running about $69 at appledotcom) if you don't like it.

If you buy a netbook and want a touchscreen? Out of luck, you are stuck.

It was also mentioned about closing .. I would assume for protection. Yes, the iPads are very sensitive, BUT, there's a million and one cases out there starting at around $10, even found a few on amazon for less than that. My case of choice is a portfolio case .. it basically makes my ipad look like a day planner and cost me $20. (It's the plaid one at cimousadotcom). My husband decided another route, he got this very padded laptop looking case (like a slip cover with lots of cushion) with handles to carry it around (think his cost him $30?). He doesn't have anything on it, BUT it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a skin on it, just in case he were to drop it.

My husband got his first, and he uses the AT&T service (he likes to use it while I am driving since we kind of live in the sticks), and as much as I hate to say it .. he gets pretty decent service (I am a verizon girl myself).

I wanted just the wifi version, but my husband got one for me by surprise because he walked into a best buy and they just happened to have one in stock (several months ago) but it was the 3G .. never have turned on AT&T, but use our mifi with it constantly. Works great.

One thing to remember, AT&T might be the devil, but their service package has no contract. So if you go to Vegas for Summit, turn on the 250mb package, which should be good for a week, but they will warn you if you are getting close, for $15, then cancel it after. I can definitely see where it can be handy, and technically, you don't have to claim you are an AT&T customer .. lol.

I also have to put a plug in for the best app on there (no affiliation whatsoever, but I use it EVERY DAY). Buy 'pulse'. Best RSS reader available .. LOVE IT!

So, you may end up more coin into an iPad, but it can do everything a netbook can .. and that is a one way street.

Good luck with your decision Greg!
    KK

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Kinsey View Post
    It was also mentioned about closing .. I would assume for protection. Yes, the iPads are very sensitive, BUT, there's a million and one cases out there starting at around $10, even found a few on amazon for less than that. My case of choice is a portfolio case .. it basically makes my ipad look like a day planner and cost me $20. (It's the plaid one at cimousadotcom). My husband decided another route, he got this very padded laptop looking case (like a slip cover with lots of cushion) with handles to carry it around (think his cost him $30?). He doesn't have anything on it, BUT it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a skin on it, just in case he were to drop it.
    *** Shameless plug ahead ***

You can get your iPad case at iFrogz.com as an affiliate and I will add a $10.00 CAB to your account if you send me your SAS sale transaction number and affiliate ID ...

*** end of shameless plug ***
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez View Post
    *** Shameless plug ahead ***

You can get your iPad case at iFrogz.com as an affiliate and I will add a $10.00 CAB to your account if you send me your SAS sale transaction number and affiliate ID ...

*** end of shameless plug ***
    Thanks, Andy. But I have a new client ready to give out free iPad and iPhone cases to affiliates.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    Thanks, Andy. But I have a new client ready to give out free iPad and iPhone cases to affiliates.
    Game on
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

The Ipad is definately my pick. My wife is a big fan of the clutch from Happy Owl. I actually think the Wallet Lite is the way to go for us guys. :Plug: Happy Owl :Plug now complete:
    Anyways, I have had nothing but a good experience with the Ipad and would definately choose it over a netbook for travel and light web use.
    Last edited by PDXreader; September 3rd, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

I think the iPad is better for on the go stuff. For example if I just want to check email on the train then I can do that with both but with a netbook I need to place it on my lap or on a table which you don't need to do with an iPad. However if you are doing some hard core work on it then a netbook is probably easier so it depends on what you are using it for!

Affiliate Manager
    The iPad's a lot of fun, but inevitably I'll get an email that requires me to reply with something I need from a full computer. So I got an Asus EeePC - only a little heavier, but lets me run pretty much all the same software I use on my bigger computers so I can handle just about anything I need.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I have an iPad and leave my computer at home on and use remote desktop from logmein.com on my ipad have never ever ever ever needed to use a notebook etc since.

The iPad with the Mac wireless keyboard won. I bought it about an hour ago. Thanks for all your thoughts.
    Greg Hoffman

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread