Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does ticketmaster close the affiliate program?

Smile does ticketmaster close the affiliate program?
    hi guys,
    does ticketmaster close the affiliate program permanent?
    do you know any updates about this?
    thanks

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Anyone know anything about this?

Is there any kind of message on Buy.At?
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Affiliate Network Rep
    The program has not closed it has simply gone private.

Please email -

affiliates@ticketmaster.com

If you have questions
    Last edited by Amy Ely; September 7th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Charlie,

Did no one see this Ticketmaster program change coming over at Buy.at? What action did Buy.at take to inform it's existing Ticketmaster affiliates that they're partnership could suddenly expire? Seriously, Buy.at seems to have absolutely no respect for it's affiliate base at all, and if there are safeguards built-in to the account notification process clearly they are readily ignored.

Thanks for, well, nothing at all I guess.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Coefield -

While I am not one to normally talk about what goes on behind closed doors I will do my best this time.

TM came to us one day, with no warning, and said take the program down. They were re-evaluating the spend associated and would only be working with contracted partners (people who have direct deals with TM). So to answer your first question, no we were given no warning.

They wanted us, that same day, to reject anyone who wasn't a partner. Which equated to thousands of affiliates.

We did not do this, as it was something we would never do to our affiliates. We convinced TM to send out notice to anyone who was being culled and to honor all cookies that currently existed. The hope was that this would allow affiliates to make the necessary changes to their sites and PPC spends. The last thing we want to do is cost the affiliates of our network time and money that will not earn them commission.

We really do understand the affiliates' frustrations in this matter, because it is just as frustrating for the buy.at team. We helped grow a program that did not exist and helped it mature for more than 2 years. It had finally really blossomed into a fantastic business just as it went through these massive changes.

To say people on the buy.at side don't care or have no respect for the affiliate base could not be further from the truth. Our team, in fact our entire business, is reliant upon the affiliates of this network. We live and breathe affiliate everyday, and the only way we are successful is if we help our affiliates become even more successful than we are on that same day. We would never intentionally jeopardize our affiliate relationships and go to bat for the affiliate base on a daily basis.

So, as I said, we understand your frustrations. But please know we did everything we could to protect our affiliates, keep them informed, and still provide our advertiser with the level of service they have come to expect from our network. It's a hard place to sit, in the middle of your advertisers and publisher base, but we do it with integrity and professionalism every day.

Thank you for your time, this was a long post, but I hope you will all find it was one that was worth reading.

Regards,
    Charlie Calabrese
    Operations Manager, buy.at Affiliate Network

Charlie,

Did my last post portay me as someone who has been contacted by Ticketmaster to inform me of their decision to go private; or a person who has otherwise been provided the time required to alter the 400 links on my site? Taking Ticketmaster at their word apparently just isn't good enough, thus the notion of Contractual Law in business.

Many affiliate programs maintain a 30-day notice of impending change structure built-in to their affiliate contracts. So, while you may as suggested have 'convinced' Ticketmaster to contact those affilates impacted by the decision to go private; like myself, Ticketmaster has indeed notified no-one.

Thanks again...

Charlie, I have received no notice from anyone, and my account is still showing commissions on a regular basis, but I am not a "direct partner", or even close to it. Can I assume I will be paid these commissions? Do I assume that I am still "in the program" as long as commissions register? Or is there some quesiton about that?
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

PS: I sent them an email regarding the pre-sale/first 24 hour policy just yesterday and they just responded that they would pass on my email to their executives. Whether they make any changes or not, I am encouraged by the fact that they got back to me. I guess I am still an affiliate.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Affiliate Network Rep
    Shuvee -

You do appear to still be an affiliate. If you are seeing transactions, commissioned or not, then you are still an affiliate. I say this, because the new time based windows still show the transactions, but they do not have associated commissions.

This was done so that affiliates could be sure that the pixels were firing and transactions were recording.

A great many affiliates have reached out to TM about their concerns regarding the new 24 hour/presale commission structure. I hope the TM Executive team takes these concerns seriously and please know that we too are working to get this back for the affiliates.

Regards,
    c3

Thanks for the feedback Charlie. I sent you a copy of my communication with Ticketmaster regarding the new commission structure. I am happy to hear that you are still working to change this.

And I had indeed noticed the lovely 0 commission messages that tell me that the pixels are firing. I had to smile at that: transparency at its finest!
    ---
    Valerie Magee

I'm in the 0 Commission Club!
    Copying my first one to share from the Commission Value report:

LIFEHOUSE, KRIS ALLEN, ALYSSA BERNAL - Onsale24 0 commission

** slapping hands with Shuvee **

Ok, so the system is working, and apparently I'm still welcome in the program. Long gone are the miserable early days of technical glitches with widgets and such that we have suffered. ** knocking on wood **

Connie D. in Houston

Regarding Ticketmaster Going Private
    Charlie,

I just read the posts regarding Ticketmaster's affiliate program going private. I log into users.buy.at multiple times a day to check my sales and commission status. Sales, transaction values and commissions are showing for my account and being updated throughout the day. I have not received any emails from ticketmaster.com or buy.at saying that the program has closed. Are you telling us that we are linking to events on Ticketmaster.com and producing sales for them that we are not going to get paid for (other than the 0 commission in first 24 hours)?
    Last edited by gusp; September 20th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by gusp View Post
    Are you telling us that we are linking to events on Ticketmaster.com and producing sales for them that we are not going to get paid for (other than the 0 commission in first 24 hours)?
    I would like to know the answer as well. It is a little confusing...

It appears that "gone private" just means that they are not advertising the program on their web site, and that they are not soliciting new members. If you did not get a deactivation message of any kind, and you are still showing commissions credited, I think it is safe to assume that you are still in the program. That is the case with me. Charlie did confirm my account status specifically, but I'd say that continued sale crediting confirms your status. If you check Charlie's message to me, above, he said, "If you are seeing transactions, commissioned or not, then you are still an affiliate."
    ---
    Valerie Magee

ABW Ambassador
    Just got this message:

We regret to inform you that as of October 15, 2010, we will no longer award commissions for tickets sold through our program. As the program cookie period is 30 days, we will make payments on any cookies dropped up to the 15th but none there after. This was a difficult decision to make, as we recognize the fiscal impact on our affiliates.

Despite this decision, we realize that many affiliates may still benefit from the information and content available via our extensive event database. As a result, we will continue to offer our affiliates access to our creative database, product feeds, as well as our real time tracking and reporting. If you think your website could benefit from using our API, please email us to learn more.
    It's funny that they said "we will no longer award commissions for tickets sold through our program" but "we will continue to offer our affiliates access to our creative database, product feeds, as well as our real time tracking and reporting".

Yes, I just got it too. I guess they saw no value in the event marketing that we did, or they figure that we will continue to do that (even to use their material, which, yes, is pretty funny), With a performer web site, I will continue to provide event information, but I certainly won't spend as much time as I did when I got a small commission.

I guess I'd better plan to send my last big ticket mailing before 10/15.

Very disappointing.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

So is this the end for the program? Here's the e-mail I just received:

We regret to inform you that as of October 15, 2010, we will no longer award commissions for tickets sold through our program. As the program cookie period is 30 days, we will make payments on any cookies dropped up to the 15th but none there after. This was a difficult decision to make, as we recognize the fiscal impact on our affiliates.

Despite this decision, we realize that many affiliates may still benefit from the information and content available via our extensive event database. As a result, we will continue to offer our affiliates access to our creative database, product feeds, as well as our real time tracking and reporting. If you think your website could benefit from using our API, please email us to learn more.

I would assume so, at least for us "little guys". Some of the big, mainstream entertainment sites might still be paid commissions (of some sort). I would tend to think that; otherwise, Ticketmaster wouldn't continue to pay Buy.at for their services. At least that's my thought on the subject.

I feel sorry for anyone who did some serious development to work with their datafeed. I only used direct links to concerts, since I was dealing primarily with one performer (although I did add a few banners for related artists, which I will pull). I can't pull my concert links for my primary artist since I have always (going back to 1998) provided ticket purchase links, but I started doing more when I discovered a commission opportunity. Were I retired, I might do as much, but unfortunately I am still working for a living, so I won't be able to justify spending as much time on concert promotion (except when I am working with a promoter, which I do on occasion).

And, with the program ending, I guess I'll never get the money for the CDN tickets I have already sold. It's only a dribble because the concerts are more than 6 months away, and only the devoted fans plan that far ahead. I suppose I can write another email about those concerts before October 15th, urging people not to wait (which they shouldn't if they want decent seats).
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Quote Originally Posted by shuvee View Post
    And, with the program ending, I guess I'll never get the money for the CDN tickets I have already sold. It's only a dribble because the concerts are more than 6 months away, and only the devoted fans plan that far ahead. I suppose I can write another email about those concerts before October 15th, urging people not to wait (which they shouldn't if they want decent seats).
    Man, I forgot all about my CDN money. Looks like I've got about $36 in there, along with $10 from the UK program. Guess I should figure out how this pre-paid Mastercard works, and get my money out of there.

Affiliate Network Rep
    All -

As always the users have beaten us to the post.

TM is changing their program, and while they do not, I believe most of you will see this as a program closure. They will no longer be paying affiliates commission for tickets sold.

They will, however, be leaving the program open to provide, people who are interested, banners, data feeds and API access.

This decision was made late last week and we worked with TM to provide the affiliates in their program with as much notice as we could.

I hope the notice they provided is, in some way, adequate.

If you have questions please reach out to TM directly at:

Affiliates@ticketmaster.com

Regards,
    c3

Zander Chance: Each of the foreign programs has a different minimum. For Canada, it is $20 CDN (I believe). I'm probably at about $10. When I am actively selling tickets for Canadian concerts, I set my minimum to transfer to Payoneer to much higher, as each deposit costs $2. At the moment, I have about $10 in my account. Getting to $20 this far ahead of the concerts is probably impossible. Hopefully, they will do a final payout (although the take is 10% at $20, and more at lower).

Word to the wise: Don't load your Payoneer card at the end of the month, because they charge you $3 monthly fee at the start of a new month if you haven't done at some minimum number of transactions on the card - even if you just loaded the money the day before. I read that but then forgot and blithely loaded the money a day or two before I went to spend it. The program was better than waiting to get to $450 CDN (which I don't think I would have reached, although I was upwards of $250), but it was a bit inconvenient. Also, Payoneer changed their bank or their card twice in the one year or so I have been in the program. Each time, they sent you a new card which you had to activate ...

Charlie, can you tell us if there will be any provision to do a final Payoneer transfer, even if one is below the minimum?

PS: I don't remember the minimum for the UK, since it did not apply to me, but it might have been higher than the CDN one.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

A weeks notice...that takes balls. At least they could have given us 30 days notice like all the other affiliate programs I work with do.

What about monies due us from Canadian ticket sales where we have not reached the C$450 by October 15th?

Quote Originally Posted by gusp View Post
    What about monies due us from Canadian ticket sales where we have not reached the C$450 by October 15th?
    Use Payoneer. See my post above.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Payoneer would not send me a card because they required it be mailed to a street address and USPS does not deliver mail up here in the mountains. We all are required to have PO boxes down at the local post office and Payoneer would not make an exception. Granted I am only owed $153.06 for commissions to Canadian events but I will be damned if I am going to let that slide.

gusp: Call them. I had problems when card #2 never arrived (of the three different ones they had during the one year). I called, got a reasonable human, and explained my frustration. I kept to polite language, but did not hide my dissatisfaction. They not only mailed me a new one, they mailed it to a different address than the one I had on file (because I was at my other home for 3 weeks and wanted the money). Surely that is not "standard procedure", yet they made the exception. They also paid to send it faster than usual (meaning, after the several days it takes for a new card to be issued, they sent it overnight).

Just call and calmly explain your problem. I think they will be reasonable. The customer support people seem to be intelligent and will surely understand that there are still places in the US where the post office does not deliver mail. They might ask you to fax them some reasonable id, but I think you will get the problem resolved. Good luck!

PS: I would not mention the Ticketmaster program situation. They will value you more as a new customer if they don't know that (and they probably do not at this point).
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast