Why isnt there a decent wp datafeed plugin?
    Whey are all datafeed plug-ins for WP just take the feeds and create dozens of posts instead of providing the ability to display the datafeeds in rows or in one post. The big coupon/deal sites display datafeeds for each merchant on the same page in rows with the image of the merchant, the deal description and the coupon code or click here link.

Is there any way one can connect to a mysql database and insert tables in a custom format to display any datafeed of your choosing. Does anyone know of a good WP plugin or script that would do that? Thanks.

I will say there is a guy posting on the form recently with a wordpress plug-in for CJ that appears to have lots of tags that you can use to format the posts. Otherwise iI]t sounds like you are looking for something like pop-shops (non-wordpress)?

My gut feeling is anyone working a lot with datafeeds is doing it for themselves. I've got a lot invested in my processes, but they are 1,000's of hours away from something that works good enough to release the public. Most people end up solving their own needs and leaving it at that (until the next problem crops up).
    Last edited by iolaire; September 3rd, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    I will say there is a guy posting on the form recently with a wordpress plug-in for CJ that appears to have lots of tags that you can use to format the posts.
    This is the link I mean: http://hytekk.com/cj-datafeed/

From the screenshots it looks like there are custom posts tags, that would leave you - RICK430 - to develop a Worpdress template, css, post template, etc.. that lays out those posts how you want.
    Last edited by iolaire; September 3rd, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks, Iolare for the link. I know about the service and just like the rest, it creates posts for the feeds instead of just displaying the feeds in one post like a table or row format. I am using popshops which is ok, but since I am experimenting with mysql and php and even downloaded feeds to mysql tables. Problem I am having is to find a script that will list the tables in wordpress posts in table or row format.

Does it have to be a single post or are you just looking for a certain look?

I'm having hard time invisioning a look and feel that can not be created via single posts on Worpdress - the templating system is extreemly flexable. For example, there is nothing saying you can not code a page template so that each post is a single tr (table row)? Or for example you could code it to have each product post to be a box like the following site (not mine) - bountii com/pricedrops.php . I think I had a layout like (not a nice looking) that at some point years ago.

Lolair, I think you know what I am thinking of. Your example of that site is precisely what I am talking about. Now, that site has customized each feed alot more, which is great but how can one get such a script. Do you know of any?

This isn't a WP site but it's a script that builds the entire site for you from datafeeds.

Script: http://www.pricetapestry.com/

I use it on all of my sites.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; September 4th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I really think a person could customize their wordpress template + article template to look like that site. You probably will not find it ready made.

At this point, I think I would hire a programmer to customize a WP post template and using ExecPHP execute php to display feeds within my database in a custom fashion. Doesnt appear that there are any WP ready made scripts that can enable a non-programmer to customize or create such templates.

http://www.wpcsvimporter.com/
    "WP CSV Importer - WordPress Content Import PluginImport any CSV file, content database, or datafeed to WordPress"

Haven't used it yet. But intend to give it a try soon. Bill passed this on to me.

http and a telephoto
    There are a ton of paid plugins that take data and make posts from the data. So at this point if you need to have something else done sounds like you will need to approach some of those developers and ask them to add the features you are looking for.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If you Look at couponmountain.com, couponcabin.com or others you will see a list view feed presentation. This is what I am looking for, which I believe would be a custom script or applicaiton for wordpress, is to input whatever merchant feeds you have in ONE wordpress post in a list view similar to those. I was hoping I could find a ready made plugin or script which would let me present feeds in a worpdress post in list view instead of the current existing plugins which import the feeds via CSV and make you creat whithin the application one post for each feed.

http and a telephoto
    None of those sites run on WordPress, they are on custom scripts. You would need to contact a programmer to get something like that, and I would recommend contacting one of the programmers that has created a pluging that pulls per post because they probably don't think it is needed and can probably do it if asked.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I know they are custom. But really all that needs to happen is to have a plugin or script that will display feeds of a merchant within your mysql database or the networks in list format. So, for example if your post is about orbitz travel then you can list various deals from orbitz feeds in your post in list view. Easier than your typical wordpress plugin that creates custom post for each feed automatically, I would assume. Just cannot believe there isn't any ready made plug-ins or scripts out there the enable presentation of feeds in wordpress as list view. I will try to find a programmer who can create such a call script or plug in and let you know.

There are lots of scripts that display affiliate feeds, it's about how much you want to spend on custom development.

Datafeed management is not a cookie-cutter system - there are multiple networks that provide inconsistent formats, unmatched categories & brands, and many more issues that fall under database management. Getting the data into a manageable mySQL database is more than half the battle.

We have become used to paying very little for advanced scripts & plug-ins (I include myself in that!) - someone who can develop this type of script would probably just create their own affiliate site.

The coupon sites you mentioned have spent thousands on development, nothing easy about replicating that process.

A php developer here or better yet from India is not going to start their own affiliate program just because their are expert developers. Being a developer and a successful affiliate is two different things. But you are completely correct one needs to hire a programmer to develop such a script which would be in php and just present the feeds in a database in list format, I personally don't think its a big deal to do since as I mentioned before there already are dozens of plugins which import your feeds and make automatic posts from them. Just look at couponpress, which is a Wordpress theme that does just that, the only problem is I do not like the theme and you would need to start a new site. All we need, I sure I am not alone, is the ability for list view datafeed presentation within wordpress or any other site.
    Last edited by RICK430; September 5th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

I wasn't suggesting any developer would become an affiliate.. we're talking about a developer who has an understanding of affiliate marketing (how/why to display products in a specific format & the required fields).

I do agree with you that it sounds like a simple enough undertaking - I've gone through various stages of it myself, from my own php solution, an attempt to customize canned scripts, etc. My finished product is a hybrid... but after spending lots on the finished product, the biggest challenge is still the database management.

Maybe that's the reason no list-view scripts exist - they would need a consistent database to product meaningful results, which means the script would include a fixed database format. Lots of work for someone.. whereas the per-product per post just appends to existing content tables. Much easier to deploy, without support requirements (like how to update the database, harmonize categories, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by RICK430 View Post
    Just look at couponpress, which is a Wordpress theme that does just that, the only problem is I do not like the theme and you would need to start a new site.
    I've tried to say this before - it sounds like you don't like the default look of the Wordpress scripts - if so you just need to develop or pay someone to develop a theme that meets your wishes.

The Wordpress script developers have done the hard work - getting the data into Wordpress - it is understood that you should be able to customize the output to your liking using the Wordpress theme system.

It will be much cheaper to go to someone with an existing site and say I want a Wordpress template to make it look more like something else - than it would be to have someone code a new datafeed import solution to look like you want.

Hiring someone to develop a theme from one of the million+ developers with Wordpress theme experience would be much cheaper than building a data feed import script (anyone with real experience is doing it themselves or see you a cash cow).

you maybe right but I have a very successful manual coupon site where for the past 18 months i have done everything manually and using popshops currently, which is fine but since I want to have more control over the datafeed presentation on my site that is why I am looking to create a list view on certain posts witihn the current wordpress theme. Love the theme as well.

Most probably will be looking for a developer to create a php script that will connect to an existing database and present datafeeds in listview format on any given sepecific post.

By the way, what do you guys think of CouponPress? Has anyone tried it. For starting a new site, this may be the option of using their system of list view and changing the wordpress theme completely to your liking.
    Last edited by RICK430; September 5th, 2010 at 11:41 PM.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread