2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Would the Kerry campaign actually spam me with a donation request? Well, maybe, maybe not, but it was certainly suspicious and smelled of a Phisherman. Grass Roots support needed for John Kerry ...blah blah blah. It's a clone of a Kerry-Edwards campaign contribution solicitation, this one an appeal from Kerry's brother Cam. I don't know if Kerry actually has a brother named Cam, but that's the angle the message takes.... Red flag goes up!

I noticed the From: address in the message, online-voteuz@Johnkerrys.com. What does "voteuz" mean? And I know the actual campaign domain is johnkerry.com.

The next obvious step is to view the source on the message. Aha! It all falls into line. Most of the graphics in the message come from johnkerry.com, but the actual "donate" form links go to http://testhost.yahoogoogle.biz/John...ntribute.html, a page which, unsurprisingly, is now down.

Hmmm. Who is this yahoogoogle.biz company? A quick trip to the home page finds one of those sleezebag shyster outfits that guarantees you a Top 10 search result in Google and Yahoo. Driving traffic schemes via spam is old hat. It surprises me that any of these creeps fly under the radar at all, but I suspect this particular company is in trouble, especially if the election goes the wrong way for them and GWB's crew bites them in the butt.

clicked on the Donate link, which is usually safe if you're all patched up and have anti-virus software, but it's still a bit scary. Since the page is down you can't verify any of this anymore, but there were a bunch of other red flags on it.

First, the links in the e-mail had said that it would take me to "Make a secure donation," but the page it took me to was HTTP, not HTTPS. Funny how most phishers don't want to get an actual digital certificate. There were also "contribute by mail" and "contribute by phone" links on the page, but they were deadends. I can smell CC theft as a sideline.

The Web site JohnKerrys.com in the From:field is even more interesting. The ownership records are incomplete, but the domain is for sale. The address and phone number, if you want to buy it, are in Cape Verde, an island off Senegal in the Atlantic Ocean.

I didn't go through with the payment process so I don't know how well-done it is. First, the owner of yahoogoogle.biz (it's registered to someone in India) should get in big and conspicuous trouble. Actually, just in case it's unclear that they are responsible, it should be even easier to track who the credit card payments would have gone to so a copy goes to the Cybercrime guys for followup.

I want to see these people carried away in chains for duping the liberal democraps out of their hard earned spin money. Next week the phisher will be giving away free Bush coffee mugs with donations over 50.00 at a different e-mail address as the Republicans need a little more pushing. Life is good when you a 3rd world spam operator.

whois.fabulous.com]

Domain johnkerrys.com:
    For sale domain $500
    rosam 47 Blvd # 77
    gom, . . CV

Administrative contact:
    Technical contact:
    Billing contact:
    For sale domain $500
    Buy this domain $500
    thriftys@aol.com
    rosam 47 Blvd # 77
    gom, . . CV
    Phone: +238.013104949403
    Fax:

Record dates:
    Record created on: 2004-03-07 11:01:47 PDT (0)
    Record modified on: 2004-03-07 11:01:47 PDT (0)
    Record expires on: 2005-03-07 PDT (0)

Nameservers:
    ns1.fabulous.com:
    ns2.fabulous.com:

Domain Status: clientHold
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: inactive
    Registrant ID: EBD2E54BA1BFD4DF
    Registrant Name: Blocked Blocked
    Registrant Organization: Blocked
    Registrant Address1: Blocked
    Registrant City: Blocked
    Registrant Postal Code: 123456
    Registrant Country: India
    Registrant Country Code: IN
    Registrant Phone Number: +91.123456
    Registrant Email: blocked@yahoogoogle.biz
    Administrative Contact ID: EBD2E54BA1BFD4DF
    Administrative Contact Name: Blocked Blocked
    Administrative Contact Organization: Blocked
    Administrative Contact Address1: Blocked
    Administrative Contact City: Blocked
    Administrative Contact Postal Code: 123456
    Administrative Contact Country: India
    Administrative Contact Country Code: IN
    Administrative Contact Phone Number: +91.123456
    Administrative Contact Email: blocked@yahoogoogle.biz
    Billing Contact ID: EBD2E54BA1BFD4DF
    Billing Contact Name: Blocked Blocked
    Billing Contact Organization: Blocked
    Billing Contact Address1: Blocked
    Billing Contact City: Blocked
    Billing Contact Postal Code: 123456
    Billing Contact Country: India
    Billing Contact Country Code: IN
    Billing Contact Phone Number: +91.123456
    Billing Contact Email: blocked@yahoogoogle.biz
    Technical Contact ID: EBD2E54BA1BFD4DF
    Technical Contact Name: Blocked Blocked
    Technical Contact Organization: Blocked
    Technical Contact Address1: Blocked
    Technical Contact City: Blocked
    Technical Contact Postal Code: 123456
    Technical Contact Country: India
    Technical Contact Country Code: IN
    Technical Contact Phone Number: +91.123456
    Technical Contact Email: blocked@yahoogoogle.biz
    Created by Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Last Updated by Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Domain Registration Date: Tue Jul 13 07:39:16 GMT 2004
    Domain Expiration Date: Tue Jul 12 23:59:59 GMT 2005

more meat for the hook...
    Domain Name: YAHOOGOOGLE.BIZ
    Domain ID: D7354044-BIZ
    Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Domain Status: ok
    Registrant ID: E45EA0AD02FAFFF8
    Registrant Name: Nilesh Kothari
    Registrant Organization: Web Hosting Solution
    Registrant Address1: Tonk Phatak
    Registrant City: Jaipur
    Registrant Postal Code: 302015
    Registrant Country: India
    Registrant Country Code: IN
    Registrant Email: **********@rediffmail.com
    Name Server: NS1.FASTMAILER.BIZ
    Name Server: NS2.FASTMAILER.BIZ
    Created by Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Last Updated by Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Domain Registration Date: Tue Jul 13 07:39:16 GMT+00:00 2004
    Domain Expiration Date: Tue Jul 12 23:59:59 GMT+00:00 2005
    Domain Last Updated Date: Tue Jul 13 08:05:25 GMT+00:00 2004
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Voteuz is French for, "call me a Democrap one more time and I'm gonna pop you one."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scam artists posing as fund-raisers for Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry are trying to trick Internet users into sending them money, an Internet security firm has said.

The Kerry campaign said on Tuesday it had asked the Justice Department to investigate.

Two separate mass e-mail "spam" campaigns were uncovered that ask users to contribute to Kerry's presidential bid, but direct the money to Web sites in India and Texas that are not affiliated with the campaign, said the security firm SurfControl, which makes Internet content filters.

Such "phishing" scams will likely become more commonplace as the presidential campaign heats up, SurfControl vice president Susan Larson said in a news release.

"Phishers and other scam artists are masters of leveraging timely events to exploit the unwary," Larson said.

Kerry campaign spokesman Phil Singer said the campaign was aware of the situation and had asked the Justice Department to investigate.

Kerry's campaign is no longer accepting donations, after receiving the Democratic nomination last week, so any e-mail money solicitations purporting to come from the campaign would not be legitimate.

Both Kerry and U.S. President George W. Bush, the Republican candidate, have said they will rely on public money rather than private funds after accepting their party's nominations.

A Kerry spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

Both Kerry scams were dated August 1 but the Web sites behind them were no longer operational, SurfControl said.

Online records show that one of the Web sites, www.johnkerry-edwards.org, is registered to a woman in New Braunfels, Texas. A call to the listed phone number was not immediately returned.

The other Web site, www.yahoogoogle.biz, is registered in Jaipur, India. No phone number was provided.

The official Kerry Web site is www.johnkerry.com.
    Phishing incidents have become increasingly common over the past year as scam artists pose as banks and online businesses in attempts to collect bank-account numbers, credit-card numbers and other sensitive personal information.

June saw 1,422 new incidents, up from 176 in January, according to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, a financial-services industry task force.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Now the politicians are being targeted, watch the phishing problem get fixed a LOT faster. :^)

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think one of your friends here or elsewhere is simply having a little fun by submitting your name.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

guess teresa.. needs another billion for pocket change

I like traffic lights
    Which would you rather have -

- a politician who has plenty of money and is not interested in kickbacks.

- a politician who votes for whoever pays them the most money.

I'd rather have a politition that works for the good of the country.........
    but alas that species has been extinct for a long time.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Maybe we should start a website of our own! It will probably work out much more profitable than affiliate marketing right now.

ABW Ambassador

To: EcomCity

Excellent detective work!

Thanks for blowing the whistle on all those
    thieves and weasels!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Which would you rather have -

- a politician who votes for whoever pays them the most money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Are you saying you supported Ross Perot?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Which would you rather have -

- a politician who votes for whoever pays them the most money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'd depend on whose ideas I wanted to see enacted--the candidate's own, or those of whoever paid the most money!

If the guys paying the money are being dumb, then a kickback-proof politician would be ideal. But if the politician is being dumb, but the donors are being smarter, then I'm glad when that money starts talking...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm sure the Republicans must be behind this somehow! Remember Watergate!!

Andy

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I dont' really like talking about politics and I can view both sides and see positives about 2 politicians but once in a while I am compelled to make sure most people get the truth.

90 Percent of the time people only hear or believe what is said on TV or news, but most channels like CBS, NBC, CNN, ABC have democrat affiliations and will always report what their own views are and not have balanced or un-biased reporting.

People should always want to hear both sides of the story before jumping to conclusions just as I try to do.

The other day I heard rummors about Kerry and his Vietnam tourture of familes and animals. Well ofcourse I just thought it might not be acurate, but 2 or three days later I saw an interview with Kerry himself where he admitted that "Yes' I tourtured and killed them" ofcourse he makes it seem as it was war time and he had no choice, etc, etc., but proof that sometimes the media will not say the truth. When something like this that he admitted himself goes to show what type of person he really is.

I have seen and heard many other war veterans explain what sort of things happened in war but killing of children and animals is not necessary.

If you hate companies that help communist and dictatorships, then this info is another reason not to vote for Kerry. Kerry has his own problems but when his wife is the head of household and contributes to these types of organizations, specially ones that she created, then he's bound to get in more trouble.

Ofcourse, he believes in this too I suppose, or else he would not still be married to her and her believes.

There was a press conference here yesterday by three local cuban congresmen denouncing Teresa Heinz and her contributing 6 M to Castro.

I believe, but I went and researched myself as I like to hear it from all sources.

It's not really news everywhere since it might only interest only Cubans, but I think it also interest people in the USA or around the world who are anti-communism.

http://www.telemundo51.com/noticias/3639274/detail.html

So how does Mrs. Heinz Kerry spend John Heinz's money? Just one example: According to the G2 Bulletin, an online intelligence newsletter of WorldNetDaily, in the years between 1995-2001 she gave more than $4 million to an organization called the Tides Foundation. And what does the Tides Foundation do with John Heinz's money?

They support numerous antiwar groups, including Ramsey Clark's International Action Center. Clark has offered to defend Saddam Hussein when he's tried. They support the Democratic Justice Fund, a joint venture of the Tides Foundation and billionaire hate-monger George Soros.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1169321/posts

The Cuban people do not have access to the web, only government officials and tourists do. It is illegal for a Cuban citizen to have an Internet connection without government permission

http://rightvoices.com/archives/2004/07/20/

PeaceNet is pleased to now offer low-cost, high-speed, and reliable
    communications with networks in Cuba.

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/operat...33/fromPage=CU

The above is my opinion based on facts and not posted here to start unproductive flames wars etc.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The above is my opinion based on facts and not posted here to start unproductive flames wars etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Your opinions based on what you believe to be facts you've gotten from partisan sources.

Don't accept everything you read as facts.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The above is my opinion based on facts and not posted here to start unproductive flames wars etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Your opinions based on what you believe to be facts you've gotten from partisan sources.

Don't accept everything you read as facts.

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you saying that your partisan sources are better than his?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>are you saying that your partisan sources are better than his? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Certainly not. I don't cite my partisan sources and pass what I've read along as if they have the authority of being fact.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Who would think, Mike could make a post about a phising scam involving the democrats, not drag politics into it, only to have someone else out of the blue change ths discussion into the classic dumb american, here are the real truths about politics thread... and yeah, free republic, there is the truth... yikes!

ugh.

Chet

I like traffic lights
    &gt;Are you saying you supported Ross Perot?

Rather than GWB?

HELL YES!

ABB all the way!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; Don't accept everything you read as facts

If you read the whole thing notice what I said.

"three days later I saw an interview with Kerry himself where he admitted that "Yes' I tourtured and killed them"

What more fact than straight from kerry's own mouth.

&gt; phising scam involving the democrats, not drag politics into it

&gt; have someone else out of the blue change ths discussion into the classic dumb american,

This thread is about politics and Mike is pointing out a scam, so i am just pointing out another scam, where polititions hide begind .ORG and support other nations on our terroist list.

&gt; classic dumb american

I don't know what you mean by that are you an American?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread