Am i monetizing enough ?
    Hello all,

I have created/managed a website that i believe being successful, but now i want to understand if i am making enough money with it.

type of website: product reviews. great placement for terms such as "product XXX" "product XXX review" etc. the website has general articles, reviews with price comparison box at the end (with affiliate links) and a few adsense boxes nicely integrated in the template.

I do ok with it (in the area of 1,000 $ a month) but am wondering if i could be doing more.

some stats (analytics for last 30 days)

46,200 visitors
    88.45% organic
    2.6 pages/visit
    87% new visitors

in the last 30 days i had 4,410 clicks on affiliate links (the price comparison box) so it's 10% CTR, i assume it's good.

I am not sure how much adsense data i can share without breaking the TOS, but let's say i got around 500 clicks.

my affiliate conversion is not that great (i guess?) being only around 1.5%

I think that with the amount of targeted visitors (in a quite rich niche) i should be doing more money. I was thinking maybe i have more "look-arounders" than buyers and maybe i should avoid the price comparison and do adsense only?

if math is not an opinion, if all the clicks i had on affiliate links were on google ads i should be doing a 60% more money that i am doing now... but am i right?

i try to google "adsense vs affiliate" but i only get tens of pages of "SEO" experts that make very generic articles with no data, no proofs to what they say, sweeping statements and in all honestly i think it's mostly people with no real experience that only get a little bunch of visits and a pizza-worth of adsense money every month. googling seo help is useless IMHO.

I hope you will share your thoughts and experiences with me, I opened up quite a lot

The age old question "What is enough?" Only you know if you're making "enough" since enough to one isn't much to someone else.

The big question is "Are you happy with the results?" and it sounds like the answer is no.

A 10% CTR is not bad and a 1.5% conversion rate is pretty typical but this depends on the market you're in. A 1.5% CR may be awesome if you're promoting million dollar sports cars but not if you're promoting free giveaways. To see if your site's income is being hindered by the merchant, try swapping them out and comparing your income.

As for the CTR, if you're not satisfied play with that too. Try different placements on the page (middle of review, top of review, etc.), few choices, more choices, only 1 choice, inline text recommending a product or merchant (if you're comfortable doing this) or banner.

Even though individual results can vary wildly, compare your EPC for each merchant with that listed on the network. Don't put too much weight on this though since you have no idea who in their program is making up the EPC numbers.

Bottom line: keep playing with your site until you believe it's doing the best it can.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

It sounds low to me, but what to expect varies tremendously depending on the niche.

A few other ways to look at it:

$1000 in earnings from 46k visitors is about $0.02 per visitor to your site. That seems low to me.

$1000 in earnings from 4410 clicks is about $23 EPC, which is decent.

$1000 in earnings from about 700 sales is about $1.40 commission per sale. That's fairly low. If you're selling something with a 10% commission, that means your average order is only $14.

Is there anything you can do to increase your average order size (and thus your commission)?

The CTR and conversion ratio seem quite a bit lower than I would be happy with, for such a cheap (or low commission) item.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    It sounds low to me, but what to expect varies tremendously depending on the niche.

$1000 in earnings from about 700 sales is about $1.40 commission per sale. That's fairly low. If you're selling something with a 10% commission, that means your average order is only $14.
    I might have made quick calculations wrong, as the conversion is an on the fly average between 3 networks and 10 merchants, but sales are closer to 70-100 than to 700

so assuming the average commission is indeed 10$ the other numbers also kinda 10x. Those 1000 $ include the money i get from my approx. 500 adsense click too

About the what is enough... I ideally would like to quit my day job. At the moment I am far from it. I tried the way of starting another couple of websites, but my heart is on my main website and its topic/niche, and that's probably why i doubt more websites would perform as good as my main one (but they're growin).

so basically I want to increase my revenues and i don't understand if i need to bring more traffic in or if i need to do something better with the traffic i already have.

Quote Originally Posted by trienthusiast View Post
    I might have made quick calculations wrong, as the conversion is an on the fly average between 3 networks and 10 merchants, but sales are closer to 70-100 than to 700
    Nope, I think that was my "fuzzy math". Not sure how I messed that calculation up.

I would expect a higher CTR and conversion ratio from a well targeted affiliate site. 10% and 1.5% aren't bad, but I would try to get it much higher.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread