I am shocked today when I can't make a purchase from GoDaddy, I have been a customer with them and have many domains with them. I suspect they block my card because they used to black list my country and disallow me to even VISIT their website based on my IP.

So I write to them. WELL WELL WELL. enjoy this

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting customer support. We are currently unable to process transactions originating from the following countries:

Bulgaria
    Ghana
    Indonesia
    Macedonia
    Malaysia
    Nigeria
    Pakistan
    Romania
    Vietnam

In addition, the United States Government asks that we do not conduct business with these nations:

Cuba
    Iran
    Iraq
    Libya
    North Korea
    Sudan
    Syria

If your credit card is issued from an establishment located within one of these countries, or if you reside in one of these countries, you will not be able to complete a purchase from our website or access our network. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I apologize for any inconvenience in this situation. Unfortunately if you reside in a country that we are currently blocking from our system, you will be unable to access your account to approve the transfer away of your domain to another registrar. We will be happy to assist you with this and approve the transfer away on your behalf. In order to do this we will need to verify the following information from you:

1) A scanned / faxed copy of your photo identification.

2) If a company is listed on the account you must provide a business license or proof of incorporation along with your photo identification.

3) A written request, signed by the account owner, requesting that we approve the transfer away.

4) The domain name(s) and customer number. Once you have all of this information, you can send it to us via electronic mail.

Please e-Mail the information to: change@godaddy.com

You may also fax this information to us: (480) 624-2547. Faxes should be sent to the attention of 'Email Changes'.

Please understand this is done to ensure that no unauthorized changes are made to our customers' accounts; these procedures are only for your protection. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Don't let "no lock, no deal" come between you and your customers. Show them that transactions on your site are secure and encrypted! Click here for more information.

Sincerely,

Manny P.
    GoDaddy.com
    Customer Service Representative

General Support: 480-505-8877
    Billing: 480-505-8855

We would appreciate it if you would click here and complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey. It only takes a couple of minutes and will help us serve you better in the future!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Anyone in a country that has oil stocks had better move their domains away from Godaddy before the US invades you and Godaddy locks you out of your account!

May I suggest you choose a Canadian reseller of openSRS (Canadian based) thus hopefully getting away from garbage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Anyone in a country that has oil stocks had better move their domains away from Godaddy before the US invades you and Godaddy locks you out of your account! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be serious although you might be based on other posts with anti U.S. rhetoric.

I do you find you silly at times which makes for a good laugh. Thanks for that (the good laugh)

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with godaddy. And you are going to start seeing more and more of this. For my stuff, I wouldn't touch any country on their list with a ten foot pole.

The cost and fraud associated with certain countries is overwhelming, and companies can see this. Too many are worried about the backlash, so they just raise prices and make the rest of us pay more for handling the fraud. But as more and more companies have the nerve to do this, get ready.

Chet

I have been blocking those countries for years from my merchant’s account.

Fraud is HIGH in those countries!

Better ADD:

A $2,650 credit reversal due to fraud from Ghana caused my automatic blocking!

Please remember that GoDaddy has allow me to register domains for a long time and I have domains with them with will expire, they have charge my card for a few times without any problem and fraud and you guys still think it make sense for them to LOCK all my domain names because I am from one of these countries?

ABW Ambassador
    Depends if you're from List A or List B - Which are you from?

List A

List A is the worst!

Depending on your merchants account privileges one (1) credit card fraud could close your merchant’s account; it’s simply not worth it anymore.

It’s sad that everyone has to suffer for one bad apple, but unfortunately life can seriously bite.

I like traffic lights
    Redfish,

You need to open an account at another registrar, put transfer requests through for all your domains, and then have someone you trust who is in a non-blocked country to log into your godaddy a/c and approve the transfers.

Of if you have a server in the USA, set up a proxy server on that and log in via there.

I like traffic lights
    &gt;You can't be serious although you might be based on other posts with anti U.S. rhetoric

Not anti-US, anti-current-US-administration (you know, the one that less than 50% of US voters wanted).

And with a president whose main reaction to an attack from some mainly Saudi Arabian people (after sitting for 7 minutes in a classroom with a blank look on his face) is to invade a different country on false pretences - becoming the poster boy for terrorist recruitment, expose a CIA deep-deep undercover agent just to spite her husband, expose an informant deep in the Al Quaeda network who was providing good intelligence, and have the gall to say "America is safer" even though OBL is still not in custody, then yes I AM serious.

RedFish,

Sorry to hear about the headache. It's pretty unfortunate, but you're likely seeing the results of years of fraudulent transactions coming out of your country. It sucks, but it happens...

Drewbert has some good suggestions for transferring the domains away. I hope Godaddy will at least work with on that front.

Drewbert, didn't you know that it was anti-American to be cynical about the current administration? Cynics are a threat to homeland security.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Anyone in a country that has oil stocks had better move their domains away from Godaddy before the US invades you and Godaddy locks you out of your account!

May I suggest you choose a Canadian reseller of openSRS (Canadian based) thus hopefully getting away from garbage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drewbert, I may be a newbie and not hold much water on ABW but I take exception to a lot of your anti-US comments. I spent 20 years working for the US government and have seen some ugly s**t. Do you really think if there was a different administration in office things would be different? I can tell you from experience “not by much”.

How would you like it if I bashed your country? Mexico has some very significant problems. If you are not an American Citizen and don’t vote in this country your remarks don’t mean spit! Keep bashing the US …see what it’ll get you.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Amazing how a thread can go from GoDaddy blocking purchases, to Bush invading oil rich countries.

It stinks that an entrepreneur in a third-world country can't conduct business on the Internet.

Fred

whatever happened to freedom of speech? oops!! wrong thread should be in the movie thread.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    I agree with godaddy. And you are going to start seeing more and more of this. For my stuff, I wouldn't touch any country on their list with a ten foot pole.

The cost and fraud associated with certain countries is overwhelming, and companies can see this. Too many are worried about the backlash, so they just raise prices and make the rest of us pay more for handling the fraud. But as more and more companies have the nerve to do this, get ready.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet I'm shocked! You are starting to sound like a Republican.

ABW Ambassador
    The political comments injected everywhere are just going to get worse unless they get stamped out. I say time to nip it in the bud.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder, i posted before reading your last one. And while I know you are joking, it is almost what this forum is becoming.

"I like cheese."

"Of course you liberal cheese eating tax loving bastard"

Chet
    ps. I have always been on the side of the idea that the Internet is a luxury, not a right and some countries have lost that right.

Under Chets advice thread is closed

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread