Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I experimented with Google Adsense on one small section of one site. About 5% of all my pages, they represent about 12% of my total traffic.

The ads were a 468x60 banner next to my logo at the top of the screen. The ads are now a "large rectangle" within my article text.

It's like someone took their foot off the hose. A good chunk of my adsense revenue for the last few days has come from this small section of traffic.

I have other analysis I need to make, scoping out where my adsense clicks are coming from and where the dead weight is.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I agree, I have also experimented with placement, and it seems the closer to the content of the page you get, the better it is.

Andy

Hey there I have been working on this also but it seems to me that my pages with the most traffic also get the most PSA's instead of live ads.

I am not sure if it is just me or do you see the same trend.

It really stinks to have hundreds of page views a day and no clicks because they are PSA's.

Any thoughts?

Spider Man

Has the AdSense bot been to those pages to spider them? You might go in and add those PSA's to your list of URLs to not show. Also, look at the content of the pages. There might not be enough keywords or phrases to pull good ads. Perhaps you can change a few words in the text to get a better fit with the ads.

I've got a few pages that are pulling from a few unimportant words in the text, and the ads showing aren't relevant at all to the page, but are showing just because of the poor choice of words I used. The words actually are the best description, but have nothing to do with the theme of the page itself. So, I'm going to rethink that page and change the offending words so they don't attract the wrong ads.

Sometimes it's strange what AdSense spots on a page as a basis for ads...

Andy

I never thought of that.

The pages that are getting PSA'a are a couple of layers deep in a product site and I never thought about the fact that the pages don't have keywords. I may go back in and add some and see if adding them will help the bot pull up ads.

Thanks Andy

Spider Man

ABW Ambassador
    My hypothesis about wierd or misplaced ads:

Their model is based on revenue first. They probably get higher bids for some secondary words and show those. I can't complain, that probably means more money in my pocket, too.

Example: I have adsense ads on a couple forums. Someone was talking about their car, but the ads were for piano repairs.

Keys and pedals.

The people repairing or selling pianos probably pay more per click for "keys and pedals" than an online car sales site would pay for "Nissan" or "Cadillac".
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

What a great idea. I am going to try a box in the middle of my text and see what happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A good chunk of my adsense revenue for the last few days has come from this small section of traffic.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never created channels. Is this how you tell where your revenue is coming from?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Hey Z,

I have channels for each of my sites. I check them to see what site is generating the most clicks. You can also be more specific and do one for a page if you want. FYI the reporting is delayed on the channels so give it time if you do use them.

Spider Man

I just set up the channels - that was so easy and I never knew I could do that. Go figure.

I started with just one of my sites and I set up separate channels for 2 of my most popular content pages. I added a rectangular box right in the middle of the content. Felt like I was on about.com. But...hopefully it will work great!

I am looking foward to seeing the results!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Don't forget to measure CTR after changing colours. Sometimes, find the right combination of colours to show on your particular site can really boost clicks.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zimmy:
    Felt like I was on about.com. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You mean you slapped up 40-50 pop-ups and countless flash ads to go with the big box of Google?

I'm going to do some more channels, experimenting is fun.

ABW Ambassador
    I made a change on my content site a while back. It is a heavy traffic, well established content site that never brought be much money.

I had three columns, the right most was 120X600 banners, most recently all adsense. In the change I removed the third column and integrated an alligned 160X600 into the content of each page. Each of the 100's of pages was integrated by hand.

My CTR and revenue trippled. Sometimes it is up 400-500% when people are running nice campaigns.

Take your time and do a good job. It will be WELL worth your time.

ABW Ambassador
    Integrating the color and the the ads into the text like people are saying. Also, I've seen excellent results when adding their new search box. Seems to work wonderfully. I have it set where they can search my site with it, and if the results aren't what they want, there are plenty of adsense ads right there for them to click. Good stuff.
    I forgot what I was doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The pages that are getting PSA'a are a couple of layers deep in a product site and I never thought about the fact that the pages don't have keywords. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only time I see PSA ads on my pages is when I'm reviewing them from my hard drive before I upload them.

Usually the normal adsense ads appear within seconds of the page being uploaded and I always use keywords on every page.

I made the same change this month and tripled my earnings this month via adsense.

quetion though.. do you guyz let adsense know ever site you have them on? or do you have the one account and just keep putting it on every site you build without letting google know...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Haven't look at my adsense account for over 4 months. Wow...filled in the tax info and see I have 294.00 in earnings and I don't have many of those displays up.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LastHope:
    quetion though.. do you guyz let adsense know ever site you have them on? or do you have the one account and just keep putting it on every site you build without letting google know... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Google knows where the ads are. You just put the code up, you don't keep adding web addresses to your account. I don't even know if there is a place to add urls. They don't want you to make multiple accounts.

As for the comment about the busiest pages showing the most psa's, that is kindof because they run through the ad inventory.

We have to remember that we get targeted ads, and ads are only available if they are actually in inventory to be run. That is why the altads are so great, use the space for revenue whether Google has ads in inventory, or you are promoting something of your own.

And lastly I made some changes to ad size and placement on my sites and saw an immediate upsurge in revenue. But even when I make changes, they seem to level off in a day or so again, and that is due to the nature of the sites and the ads in inventory.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisk:
    I had three columns, the right most was 120X600 banners, most recently all adsense. In the change I removed the third column and integrated an alligned 160X600 into the content of each page. Each of the 100's of pages was integrated by hand.

My CTR and revenue trippled. Sometimes it is up 400-500% when people are running nice campaigns.

Take your time and do a good job. It will be WELL worth your time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chrisk: I had a similar setup and just spent several hours reworking the 160X600 ad into my content site. I changed the color too. Sure hope I get a good boost like you did! Thanks for the tip.

TM
    Travelin' New Mexico
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Travelin' Man:
    Chrisk: I had a similar setup and just spent several hours reworking the 160X600 ad into my content site. I changed the color too. Sure hope I get a good boost like you did! Thanks for the tip.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck! It took me 3-4 full days of work to do my site. 100's of pages. I sure hope you used an include file so you can alter your code in one or two files for your whole site!

Hey all, just a couple of ?'s

Chrisk,

I sure hope you used an include file so you can alter your code in one or two files for your whole site.

Can you give me an example of how to do this?

Loxly,

That is why the altads are so great, use the space for revenue whether Google has ads in inventory, or you are promoting something of your own.

Are you saying you put up more ads on your page or use Goolge space for some other product if they are not running ads?

Thanks for all the help. These are things that will help me make my site better.

Spider Man

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Can you give me an example of how to do this?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

General Server Side Includes
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=server+side+includes

PHP Includes
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=php+include+files

ASP Includes
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=asp+include+files

http and a telephoto
    Altads are ads you create to run in place of the PSA's in the google space. There is a link explaining them in your account.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    Altads are ads you create to run in place of the PSA's in the google space. There is a link explaining them in your account. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    AS usual,I don't know what your talking about,psa???,I have ad sense, and 4 sites,that don't require html.once I add the text, the sites, from Verisign with ask jeeves,yahoo, google,webmaster all have the best keywords i can think off, I have a good background in creative writing, and was stupid enough to think the alexa traffic monitor and graph,all showed high hits gfor the past 3 months, and each one rising,was a way of checking,Since I only started e commerce out of desperation, no jobs, little hope of getting one, 71 year olds can't compete,especially with a few service connected disabilites,all the sites are paid domains,not freebies, but with an unknown number of affiliates around the world, and pay per click, not a good idea, brosers click to compare, and many merchants don't want pay per click, I don't buy email lists, since they are illegal, and I don't have anyone to send them to anyway.Does anyone have a solution, where at least I have a chance to earn a few dollars a month to pay expenses, I am not greedy, just a bit needy,JJ

Mr James,
    You could add more category to your sites and get as much merchants and promote them to your site.

Apply to the merchants that have forums here.
    There's alot of merchant you don't have that you can put on one of your site. Look at PSC that Akiva runs he have alot of merchant that you can use.

I will add you on my site to give you a backlinks that might help.

And hope others here can give you a backlinks to. Just keep adding more merchant on your site.

Don't worry Santa Claus is going to help you!
    Just hang in there you hear!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Who else offers ad's similar to adsense? I am also waiting for Yahoo to start offering the same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast