ABW Ambassador
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/d...l/xpsp2web.asp

Will read when i'm awake

"Internet Explorer includes a pop-up blocker that is turned on by default in SP2."

In the words of Microsoft

"Windows XP Service Pack 2 provides Windows Firewall, an enhanced firewall that is enabled by default."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Hope it doesn't behave like Norton.

XP SP2:

"Internet Explorer includes a pop-up blocker that is turned on by default in SP2. This pop-up blocker might interfere with sites that automatically generate new windows from script."

Oh boy, this will cause me some problems.

TM

"Internet Explorer includes a pop-up blocker that is turned on by default in SP2"

Excellent, I am going to go get it now.

Fred

I think SP2 is still in beta, however that link of Trust's is well worth a read.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    From another forum:

- ActiveX controls: the modal dialog will no longer popup automatically. Users must specifically click on the pageholder to install controls
    - Downloadable Files: The file download ability can only be initiated by a user click. Pages that say "your download will begin in 10 seconds" and have an ad before launching the file will now fail.
    - Popup Windows: These may now only be initiated by a user action, not automatically, and only one popup will be created based on that user action... so a popup cannot spawn a popup, even if the original was spawned by a click.
    - MS Java Virtual Machine: This is no longer distributed. You should direct your users to java.sun.com.
    - Browser Windows Alterations: You can no longer do a fullscreen window, it will only launch a maximized window. You can no longer move the statusbar, titlebar or toolbar off of the visible screen.

It's about time something like this happens. ActiveX is how most all drive-by
    downloads get onto computers. I hate ActiveX and would be glad to see it gone.
    If all the parasiteware can no longer install their crappy programs onto
    peoples computers, that will help a lot to at least slow down their stealing
    other affiliates sales and taking the commission themselves. I have had my ActiveX
    set to prompt on my computer for a long time, and get irritated with sites that
    give me half a dozen prompts to allow ActiveX. It will be a big step in the right
    direction.

That Sun Java VM really sucks - there's loads of pages that don't work with it and it is soooooo slow.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like there are exciting changes afoot.

Mind you, I'm not even running windows XP yet, hehehe

It sounds like some of these companies, websites, and software apps that take advantage of end users might have to find another line of work...at least they'll have to work much, much harder to get a small piece of the pie.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004...h-08-09-04.asp

"Company officials expect as many as 100 million users will get the upgrade through the automatic feature over the next couple of months. Manual downloads will be available by the end of this month."

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

I beta Tested Sp2 and spyware will suffer because of it. Which is a good thing.

However I have experienced problems with some sites. Example Hotscripts.com when I do a search I get a security error and the HTML page is displayed as text only. Same thing with Valueclick when I try to get the banner codes or View my stats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What does Internet Explorer consider a pop-up window? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A pop-up window opened as a direct result of a user action (e.g., clicking a page element) will not be blocked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I don't think we have to worry about "target=new"...

Anything that doesn’t wipe us out but slows down the parasites is OK in my book.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread