Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My neck and back and head are always sore from using my mouse - does anyone have any solutions or suggestions? I usually just pop motrin every day but we are trying to get pregnant so I can't take motrin anymore

I tried the software that automatically clicks whenever the mouse stops. I liked it, but one accidental click on one of my adsense ads made me delete it in a hurry.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Be very, very careful. I ignored pain in my thumb for too long (due to using a trackball) and wound up with tendinitis and an adhesion (I couldn't bend my thumb for two months).

Physical therapy twice a week for two months finally got me straightened out. If you're having pain, stop doing what you're doing. Try a different chair, or a different desk so your arm will be at a different angle to the place where your mouse is located. If you can't find a different chair, try putting a cushion on your chair. It sounds to me as if your neck and shoulder are bearing too much of the weight of your arm, but you should see your doctor about it.

Good luck.

i have the same problem

i try and take a long break and then about twice a month i take 3-4 day's off at a time to heal.

also, stretching helps.
    dave

I'd definitely say stop what your doing if it hurts, and stop popping pills.

One alternative may be this, they are a merchant on SaS, use your own link
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Toni and I have the same problem but we have managed to alleviate it without pain killers by ensuring that we use good ergonomic seating set at the right height. We also use a mouse that utilises a track ball but is broad so that our hands are spread over the mouse instead of clenched around it.

We also force ourselves to take a 5 to 10 minute break every hour or so - no matter how engrossed we are in what we're doing. During that break we will get up and move away from the computers - walk outside - get some fresh air and just loosen up.

Repetitive Strain Injury is not something that the body recovers from quickly so prevention is far better than post injury treatment.

ABW Ambassador
    I went to my doctor (first time in almost 20 years), she gave me a book on excercises to do every 2 hours for 10 minutes. It fixed me and have never had an issue since, it is a free booklet, i can scan it if you want. The big issue it seems is the muscle in your back/neck, it runs from the middle of your back, up your neck, to the crown of your head. Once it is strained - it feels like a weight is on your head all the time.

Chet

I noticed I was having the same problem a few months ago with the pain. So I forced myself to take breaks every once in a while instead of working for hours at a time. Now the headaches, eye strain and tingling are gone.

It also helps if you can afford it, to not work on the computer for a few days at a time. I always feel much more refreshed and eager when I stay away from the computer for a few days.

found this site from the site haiko mentioned

Computer Related Repetitive Strain Injury

good info
    dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    The big issue it seems is the muscle in your back/neck, it runs from the middle of your back, up your neck, to the crown of your head. Once it is strained - it feels like a weight is on your head all the time.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES! That is exactly it. I would love the booklet - if you don't feel like scanning just give me the name of it and I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions too. I have tried a lot of the things people have mentioned, and I sit at a very ergonomic workstation, but it is not enough. I am at the point where I take a break and stretch/exercise every 20 minutes. I have had little pain since I started stretching this often, but I also am not getting much done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisaweb:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    The big issue it seems is the muscle in your back/neck, it runs from the middle of your back, up your neck, to the crown of your head. Once it is strained - it feels like a weight is on your head all the time.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES! That is exactly it. I would love the booklet - if you don't feel like scanning just give me the name of it and I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions too. I have tried a lot of the things people have mentioned, and I sit at a very ergonomic workstation, but it is not enough. I am at the point where I take a break and stretch/exercise every 20 minutes. I have had little pain since I started stretching this often, but I also am not getting much done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I was having the same conditions,first I ordered a better chair, put a thick sponge on it,and ordered computer eyes for strain, I find, getting up and walking around helps, I have room to place my arm, so that wasn't a problem, I know several all day computer operators, with carpal syndrome, and have to wear elastic braces on the arms, same as checkers in supermarkets,pills only mask the condition, and really make it worse.My nickles worth.JJ

go swimming

find your nearest health spa, spend some time in the jacuzzi, steam room and get a massage. Go about once a month minimum.

It is definitely worth the $100 or so each month for the relaxation. Plus when you are pregnant they do maternity massages. My wife loved those and helped her get through being pregnant in our chilly (sarcasm) Florida summers.

Seriously though, you will find that the 3-4 hours and $100 will improve your outlook and make it easier for you to keep working which should return you more in revenue from your hard work.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have the same problem, but 10 fold since I have arthritis in my from when I was young and crazy and used to drive in the Demolition Derbies.

I have found that the best, longest lasting relief comes from my chiropractor. One trip a month to the chiro, and remembering to stretch my neck exercising stretches and I am darn near pain free!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    I can't find my stinking pamphlet (i have been doing them for a while now, have it down), but here are some from Kaiser (who printed the pamphlet).

http://members.kaiserpermanente.org/...opic=Neck+Pain

Also if you have eye strain, I cannot say how much i love my LCD monitor. I cannot stand looking at a CRT now, a good LCD monitor has so many benefits, easier on eyes, takes up less space, less heat, and looks oh so cool.

Chet

Bad link Chet
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I used to get dreadful pain in my right wrist and lower forearm that no amount of padded rests would cure. Then one day I got a Wacom tablet that just happened to come with a wireless mouse and hey presto the pain stopped immediately!

Don't know why it should work, it's not wildly different to my previous optical mouse (with a cable).

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I have carpal tunnel, actually cubital tunnel, slightly different.

Here's a great article from Cornell. I have been using one of those bean bag supports. It says not to so I am trying some of their tips.
    http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

Here are lots of options including a foot mouse and a head mouse. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...se&btnG=Search

I would also really recommend using voice activation more.

All good advice so far.

One way I am certain that would work greatr is to beat the living stuffing our of the CEO of any parasite scumware provider.

Excellent stress relief and exercise worth instant gratification.

Darn I woke up....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Stationary Logitech Marble Mouse, nap often and walk to the grocery store rather then drive. Another tip is set the monitor dead centered at chin level so only your eyes have to move.

I've also found that cutting back posting at ABW lowers one's blood pressure, and dictating to a parrot, who types better then you, works wonders.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'm amazed that I can play my (acoustic) piano as long as I like without a twinge, yet the moment I reach for the scroll wheel on my mouse my whole hand hurts.

My major problem is at the other end, I have serious aching in my buttocks and upper thighs. I rotate through three chairs - a drum throne, hard wooden chair and a leather 'executive' chair.

Quite often I'll kneel at my computer to alleviate the ache. It looks like I'm praying.

Sloth, have you tried sitting on an exercise ball? Or getting one of those chairs that has a knee rest and a seat? I used to use it for sciatic pain.

As for me, I have found relief
    I am using my left hand for my mouse. It is taking a while to get used to, but I still got more work done yesterday than I usually do - and I feel great. Now to avoid the same problem in the left hand

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisaweb:
    Sloth, have you tried sitting on an exercise ball? Or getting one of those chairs that has a knee rest and a seat? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or even just quit hanging upside down in trees for a couple of days?

Lisaweb, thank you for your very useful suggestions - particularly the knee-rest chair, which is an option I had completely overlooked.

Paul, thanks too. Do you know where I can get a mouse ergonomically suitable for my three toes?

Three-toed sloth? Geddit? Oh, never mind...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    My shoulder and neck muscles were binding up so badly, I could only turn my head about 20 degrees either side.

After 6 months of chiropractor and stretching exercises, it's almost back to normal now.

Yoga is a great idea too.

ABW Ambassador
    How about one of these:
    http://www.officedesigns.com/panasonic-3202.html#

Don't know if it will help, but sure will feel good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast