Cool Canada Marketing Summit
    Are you guys going to the Canada Marketing Summit in Vancouver?? Mark Victor Hansen should be good. Their site looks AMAZING. I wanna steal those hover button!

http and a telephoto
    The site is actually pretty poorly designed. It took forever to load and is one REALLY long page instead of separate pages with appropriate information. Are you attending? Or did you design the site?
    Last edited by loxly; September 12th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

RE :Canada Marketing Summit
    I'm on the Canada Marketing Summit mailing list. Here's a cheaper ticket link. save you $200. They mailed it out to us:
    http://canadamarketingsummit.ca/277special
    Last edited by loxly; September 15th, 2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: edited out affiliate tracking. Ban warning - but I doubt they will be back.

ABW Ambassador
    I was intrigued when I first saw this post (it is rare to see events in Canada) but after looking at the site, that feeling quickly changed to suspicion. This looks like a marketing summit and not really an online marketing summit. Has anyone heard of any of these speakers? Having single-post posters proping up the event only serves to weaken the credibility...

From the website: "This is the largest event of its kind in Canada and you are absolutely guaranteed to have an incredible experience."

Okay - if I go and hate it will you refund my airfare, hotel and expenses?

I liked the second newb post that added an affiliate URL.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I liked the second newb post that added an affiliate URL.
    I missed that. That's hilarious!

"British Columbia and specifically Vancouver is a world-recognized hot-bed for top internet businesses and online entrepreneurs. "
    I didn't know this,and I to am Canadian!

http and a telephoto
    I love this "testimoninal":

"I am kicking myself right now as I can't get my passport back in time for this one.
    Quite miffed off about it really – looks like it'll be a great hit and a massive opportunity."
    Michael Sherriff
    Really? Why would you even post that on your site? Oh wait, he is probably emailing his JV list and they need to see his name on the page ...

I don't recognize any of the speakers, but thought maybe Canadians would be familiar with them, guess not!
    Deborah Carney

Talking
    Vancouver must be Googleville north?
    SURPRIZE! SURPRIZE!
    It's a Amway Convention!

Hey guys come out to the Canada Marketing Summit. 4 day internet marketing and online income streams conference.

Mark Victor Hansen will be there. The guy who owns Sitepoint, 99Designs and Flippa will be there. The guy who owns PlentyOfFish.com is rumoured to be there. A tonne of internet marketers.

Here's a link that I'm sure they won't care if I mention... it's $200-off the regular priced ticket. Come out:

[Removed Affiliate Link. Ban Warning.]
    Last edited by Bill; September 19th, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Removed 2nd aff link drop. See Post #3 for discount link.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Hi guys,

Ok, I'm not a fan of the way they are trying to promote this event, HOWEVER, I will be attending next weekend and do know of several good affiliates in the Vancouver area attending. Specifically James Martell who very graciously worked out a deal with Brian Littleton to get tickets for 50 affiliates for only $77 instead of $477.

You can check out a podcast with James here if you like. He happended to bing it to my this morning.

Granted, Canada has been lacking in the online marketing summit department, however I think this is a really great step forward for us and I hope to see some good come of it, possibly meet some influential Canadians and see if we can start something good in this country too.

I'll let you know how it goes, as it will be my first time there, but thanks to those who trying to organize a more professional and larger scale internet marketing events in this country too. There are a lot of professional internet marketers who live in Canada (and specifically BC) who should have been getting together a long time ago. Just having the opportunity to learn more and meet new people in the industry here (without having to purchase international flights each time we attend an event) is a good step forward for us.

"There are a lot of professional internet marketers who live in Canada (and specifically BC"
    I beg to differ Sarah! Vancouver is not the hub of Internet Marketing in Canada.

ABW Ambassador
    Sarah,

I am glad that you spoke up in defense of this event. (I had no idea what is actually was based on the limited marketing they have done) Your post is the only credible thing I have seen related to this summit. I do agree with you the way they are promoting this event is unfortunate. Although the principle of organising an event like this is definitely appreciated, it's a shame that this event is the best that we can do in Canada. The ironic part about the whole thing is, considering the subject, the organizers have done a very poor job selling the event using the very media in which they are suposed to be experts.

Will you please post you thoughts after the conference? I do look forward to hearing how it all turns out.

Dave

http and a telephoto
    Russ, just banned your second account, please don't spam by posting your affiliate link to this event again.

Folks, this may be a fine and dandy event, but being bombarded by spammers posting affiliate links *ISN'T* going to give your event a good name or a good start.
    Deborah Carney

Moderator Note: And I just banned his original account. Spammers are not welcome here.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Moderator Note: And "fuberen", too. Any other newbies want to respond to this thread?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    So, I'm sorry to say, but that summit was one of the most disappointing events I have ever gone to. They were extremely disorganized, the schedule of speakers didn't have topics listed on it. They had only one room where you had to listen to that speaker as there were no topic options, and the speakers when on for 1.5-2 hours each, most of which was them talking about themselves. The only good thing for me was that I got to see my friend James Martell again.

I felt bad for people who flew in. there were only 212 tickets purchased for the whole event and when I got there, I only saw about 70 people. No vendor tables, nothing really of interest. Also it was a general marketing conference rather than an internet marketing conference. The entire event was 4 days, and I only attended about 3 hours of it.

As disappointed as I was, it just goes to show that there is still room on the west coast of canada for a proper marketing show. I will let you know if ever I come across one that would be useful to those in our industry.

Feeling very disappointed...

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to hear that Sarah!

The writing was on the wall for that conference.

Unfortunately most of the best conferences/trade shows that I have attended in Canada are actually organized south of the border. We have GTEC here in Ottawa next week (Government Tech Show) and it is run out of the US. (kind of ironic - Canadian Government Show made in America)

It sounds like it was nothing but speeches(?)
    That sounds really disappointing.

It would be interesting to see a poll on how many Canadian affiliate industry types would attend a properly staged nonpartisan event in Canada. (Linkshare has something happening soon in TO but it is obviously partisan)

Thanks for reporting back!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    It would be interesting to see a poll on how many Canadian affiliate industry types would attend a properly staged nonpartisan event in Canada. (Linkshare has something happening soon in TO but it is obviously partisan)
    Sounds like a good idea
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

20. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread