I seriously think that lately google is messing with their search engine results in order to cash in on their adwords revenue.

what do you think?

ABW Ambassador
    nah

ABW Ambassador
    If that were the case, the big players who can most afford the pay-to-play would be the least likely to get top rankings for desirable/competitive terms.

ABW Ambassador
    If anything it would be financially beneficial to them to give nice rackings to affiliate sites using Adsense. Page 1 full of merchants, no money. Page 1 full of affiliate sites with adsense, lots of money. But i don't think they mess with the SERPS.

Trust,

I was sort of hoping they'd lose a little adwords income by making these changes on the SERP's. Then when they see the income dip they'll bring back the affiliates

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I am already seeing affiliates jump on the adwords bandwagon once they lost their traffic and it wasn’t a small crowd. I know merchants that are suffering from this change because of there affiliates getting dumped from google. I don't think that is why google made the changes they did. I’m sure google won’t mind the revenue boost so close to the IPO though.

I think these changes were too extreme even for google. I am seeing the knob turned back a little for the areas I have been watching. I hope they will turn it back a little more. I have not ruled out an all out glitch at google like the one they did last year. *Sid crosses his fingers*.

On the searches I have been doing the results are either real good or real bad. For instance #1 might be a good result and #2 is some guy who mentioned the term in a homemade looking page. Then #3 and #4 may be good, and then #5 is a mention of the term in a news story.

Sometimes I like to think the results are bad because I want my site to come back up, but they really are not google quality results right now and I think they will fluctuate for a while. I just hope it fluctuates back up to getting my site back up there.

yep, I am the one who headed to adwords. I have no choice, I lost almost all Google traffic. But the adwords are quite expensive and I am not even sure if I can make it back.

SAD.

I don't think they drop certain sites to get adwords revenue, however if they keep things rotating so nobody is ever on top for too long, then everyone might start to pay. I am not seeing that much rotation at this point though.

ABW Ambassador
    I am going to write a program to auto post this thread every 30 days (checking, it seems I might have to change it to every 14 days). My auto-posting program will have just as much thought in its reason for posting as seen here.

Remember the old days? Pre-adsense? When google lost you, it was because they lost you, not because of some devious reason.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Chez Noir,

All you have to do is cut and past and your posts count goes up. I don't know what your complaining about. JK

I don't think google is messing with serps to bring up adwords. I think they just plain stink some times no matter what you do to your site. Its life and it bit me hard this time.

When others cried with florida and last march I just thought to myself "they should build better sites" now I know from myself and others that I know of, that it can happen to any site without warning. It will eventually bite the cocky ones here that are overlooking this and saying "shake-up I don't see a shake-up?"

It reminds me of this quote:

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Of course our sites are a lot less important.

Have a nice day.

I don't think google is messing around because they want to make more money from advertising but just for a plain reason.

The want better SERPs.

But the have weak algo that accidentally punish some innocent webmasters. (everyone who lost their ranking, including me would claimed that they are innocent.

I think this is the best opputunity for us to learn how to master adwords and other PPC (and other traffic generating sources) so we can build a more stable CASHFLOW MACHINE.

FREE RIDE IS OVER!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedFish:
    FREE RIDE IS OVER! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the free ride is over, but this just means we'll have to try harder and produce more valuable sites that people actually want to use. This has definitely helped me get in touch better with my existing traffic. I just want to cater to them because I have them visiting me by their own will.

Google is just a reflection of what people are using and seeing online. It makes sense that if nobody is visiting your site without Google, why should Google send them your way. This puts a lot of responsibility on Google that shouldn't be there. We all need to learn that cutting corners won't get you far for long.

This business takes time and dedication. If you're dedicated to cutting corners, you'll have nothing left after something like this happens.

I've definitely learned my lesson.

- Scott

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well said bit of wisdom Snib. Even I have seen some sales this week from some merchants who haven't shown a sale since January. Legit affiliates with the new CoC and a concerned effort to wipe out cookie stuffers can now build for the future. That future is having a better shopper friendly page then the merchant it promotes. Build your future one page at a time with your shopper in mind.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Snib you nailed it. You know who I don't see complaining, never complaining about google? The people who built their sites in a way that made sense to the user and for the user.

Sid_ , I found your comparison offensive to say the least, and to think you have no control over the situation is just more of the stench of failure and excuses that covers this industry sometimes.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It makes sense that if nobody is visiting your site without Google, why should Google send them your way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why have a "Google" at all if all the good sites are being found without it?!

Keeping traffic coming back due to having a good site is one thing, but before that can happen, the visitors have to find the site the first time.

If they weren't using Google to do it, G would just be a redundant waste of disk space.

THAT is why Google should send traffic to sites that aren't getting traffic via other sources.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Awesome point Leader and I'm hopeful that Google has just stepped to the far extreme of only promoting the established sites. Maybe they can come to a happy middle ground.

I think Google is just trying to improve the SERPs, not generate extra revenue. They're very proud of their results, but they have been getting a little spammy. Unfortunately cleaning out the spam ofter has an adverse impact on affiliates.

(i.e. "*Your* site is spam, *my* site is a beatiful ecommerce portal).

However.. I strongly believe that rival Yahoo! *does* penalise former Inktomi customers by dropping them out of the SERPs to encourage them to sign up for Overture.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Yahoo has not dropped any of my Inktomi listings, they are still doing very good.

Nothing is sure.

All and the only 3 sites that I ever registered with former Inktomi express inclusion service were dropped one after another. The last site was dropped just on the very same day that the registration was expiring.

Is that a coincidence?

I Don't Think So!

Even with no solid evidence, I am very positive that they drop sites (for whatever reasons) for the purpose of gaining more $$. When you get dropped, you have only 2 options - Start using their paid services, or build a new site and promote from scratch! It's Your Call!

I don't want to mention the names of the sites that I observed over the time. But the most popular one (everyone seems to be linking to it) was also dropped by msn and yahoo. Instead of paying for the ads, they built a new site with the core content pretty much identical to their main site. I see this new site gets nice traffic already (if not excellent traffic). Another one also is no longer in msn and yahoo, but they don't care since they have been paying for the ads since long ago and the site is always one of the very top affiliates.

All SE's would do what they can to boost their revenues (trust me!). That is what keeps them in business. So unless you want to keep building new sites and spend most of your valued time to promote them from scratch, then think about paying for the ads to make the major SE's happy. Except for those big players, and unless you are able to build tons of Non-reciprocal links (one way links), I'd predict all sites will sooner or later get dumped, or who would pay? Quote me on this and wait and see what will happen!

snakebaby

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sid_ , I found your comparison offensive to say the least, and to think you have no control over the situation is just more of the stench of failure and excuses that covers this industry sometimes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course I meant no offense and my apologies if you took offence.

I don’t know if this is the only message board you read or not, but there are many people with original sites that have been killed by this update. People that did hard work and created sites just like Snib is talking about.

We do have control over the situation no doubt. When I say its life, all I’m saying is we have to pick up and keep on going. I’m no defeatist I have learned a lot from this and I will apply it to my future sites. I don’t know where you smell the stench of failure. I made no mention of packing it up and going home. Sometimes good sites run into bad luck and this time it happened to quite a few people.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread