Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Time to get off our butts and start planning for Christmas methinks...
    Haven't spent two hours on my sites since March.

My bricks and mortar businesses are jamming during the Summer and I've let everything run on auto-pilot.

Been OK, but the real money season is approaching and I don't want to be left out in the cold, wishing that I had put the time and effort into my sites to promote November and December Holiday programs....

Time to decide who to promote....

Start getting the creative loaded up.

Start getting SEO pointing to those programs....

Build some unique pages with quality content...

Just get up off my keister and go to work.....:

Never too early to do the right thing....

Missed a bunch of you folks over the last several months and want to get involved again.

Am I missing anything ???????

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Welcome back, Jimmy. It's good to hear you had a busy (and hopefully, profitable) summer.

Yup - it's time to do the "holiday tweaking" on your sites. (On all our sites, eh?) Get "off your keister and go to work?" HUH? Isn't this the time of year to be sitting "on" your keister - and work by pounding on a keyboard?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome back.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

A busy summer was hopefully filled with warmth and $$$$$. Welcome back!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Wish I could say I'm BACK, but I just got home from being in a huge hole of mud, digging out sprinkler vaves and re-running wire until my old fart eyes just couldn't see anymore.......

Much extra LOVE to Bill & BB......

I added a freaking humungous Goog Ad in my header about a month ago...

Looks like crap....

Pays well....

Didn't affect anything that I can see....

Gonna have to find an affiliate that pays more for that Kick Butt Spot...

I've been getting back small parts of the traffic I lost when Goog did that thing-a-ma-jobby thing last year......

So I think I will get up off my booty and be prepared for the Holidays .....

I'm going to take this Christmas SERIOUSLY.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

welcome back RG! been missing the happy house. superCool thinks sprinklers are fun to work on....for the first 20-30 minutes. you're a strong (or crazy) man to do that all summer in Texas.

so what kind of activities are you talking about for Christmas prep? superCool didn't do much last year other than some year-end closeout type things. this will be superCool's first Christmas to try to go after it. what is "planning for Christmas" all about?

EVERYONE is more than welcome to PM superCool with some "secret" holiday tips!

fanks

http and a telephoto
    Planning for Christmas:

When I was an affiliate planning for Q4 started in June. Sites were built and optimized by October 1st at the latest.

These days people get ranked more quickly, post blog posts until December 24th. What you really need to do is create pages of gift ideas, with good deals, but focus on the gift aspect not so much the deal aspect. There are certain hot topics that people love to shop for, some people might disagree, but personalized gifts, gifts for pet lovers, gift cards of any kind (Shareasale created a database of Gift Cards, not sure how many affiliates are using it) food gift packs are all hot. I used to sell a ton of pet related stuff via CafePress back when I focused on that.

There will be Black Friday deals, build the pages letting your site visitors know you will have them so they can get spidered and the be ready to update them with deals as soon as you get them.

Contact the affiliate programs you are going to focus on and check on whether they will have Black Friday deals, do they have Gift Cards, what are their shipping deadlines. Personalized anything needs a longer lead time, start promoting that stuff NOW.

Put together gift guides for almost any site you have. Recommend stuff you never thought would be a good gift that it will make a good gift You never know what people are looking for ....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It's a necessary evil but nooooooooooo, I wish all Christmas stuff could be restricted to December!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Cons_Lvr View Post
    It's a necessary evil but nooooooooooo, I wish all Christmas stuff could be restricted to December!
    If you are building websites you cannot at all wait until December to get your pages up. As an affiliate you need to have an "editorial calendar" the same as an offline publication... 3 months lead time for any holiday or event.

The merchants that send out Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving lose because affiliates that aren't automated and the deals aren't available through an automated process, have no time to get the deals live.

The search engines don't update immediately with most sites, if you want rankings you need to build sites and pages way in advance. Then you can update them as you get closer to the holiday.

If you aren't a product affiliate, and Q4 doesn't mean anything to your bottom line, then you can ignore all of the above

Even PPC affiliates should be building their landing pages now and testing them.
    Deborah Carney

I worked for a few days on a site for Christmas Gifts last month. Published about 50 pages. Will devote about a week this month. As I am pretty new to this business - I just google and try to emulate the sites on the first page of search engines - in terms of categorising content and gift ideas. Don't have the money to get it designed professionally.

Been working on some other sites too so don't think will be able to reach the target of 500 pages. I'll be happy if I can make a few thousand $$$ from the site.

I also got a domain for Cyber Monday deals but being a new affiliate is hard coz u get rejected by many of the top brands. However will try and create good and original content for programs which do approve me.

http and a telephoto
    A whole domain just for Cyber Monday? What will you do with it the rest of the year? Will you use PPC to get traffic to it?

I'm all for niche marketing, but I would make a gift site and have a Cyber Monday section - not dedicate a site to one day or one week of sales....
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    A whole domain just for Cyber Monday? What will you do with it the rest of the year? Will you use PPC to get traffic to it?

I'm all for niche marketing, but I would make a gift site and have a Cyber Monday section - not dedicate a site to one day or one week of sales....
    I'll wait for the next Cyber Monday

I started affiliate marketing full time in Jan-Feb this year but like to remain updated about the trends. I was aware about the significance of Cyber Monday and had it at the back of my mind to publish a domain on the topic. The real challenge would be to get it on the first page. I think not possible without lots of $$$ - content, backlinks. I am sure the ones on the first page belong to the hot shots in affiliate marketing.

But I was puzzled at some of the results on google page 1 for "Gifts for Christmas" and "Cyber Monday Discounts" They seemed thin on content. Many pages were blank. I guess grey hat seo.

Anyways the domains for Christmas Gifts and Cyber Monday are .info ones and cost a dollar each.

Pretty cool article about what's hot for the holidays .....

Google knows ....

Find it here ....

I believe I'm just a little too late for the Christmas end, but luckily nailed it just in time for Halloween.
    Besides I just can't get into Christmas...never could, not my thing
    Well let me rephrase, I don't have anything against Christmas, but Halloween is my thing. However I do get aggrevated when I got to a local store to check out the latest Halloween stuff or see what they have for sales and all the Halloween stuff is right next to the Christmas stuff...WTF! It's only October 15th!!!
    So by the time I actually get to December I can't wait until it's over. I've been sorrounded by the stuff for months and can't wait until I don't have to see another Christmas special on TV or hear another Christmas song on the radio, AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Thanx a lot for the link RMG. It was really helpful. I checked a few sites/blogs but cud not find the link to the original google release. Anyways I did a small research of my own on google insights for search and these are the Top Toys according to google (fastest rising searches) - despicable me toys, pillow pets, halo reach toys, toys tory, thames the train, vtech toys.

I also noticed the terms "christmas trees wholesale" "wholesale christmas ornaments" "christmas decorations wholesale" Has any member had luck with a wholesale sale? I guess wholesalers are looking for stocks for Christmas. No harm in trying I think - they might order by phone but who knows - I may become a millionaire

Sorry for missing ur question on PPC loxly. I got a coupon from google earlier this year (IIRC 2500 Indian Rupees - US $ 55-60) I sent them a draft for around 50 US $ but they have misplaced it. The bank says it has been encashed. My other google account recently got a coupon of $ 100 which I am willing to trade for $ 20 in articles or cash, started a thread on this forum. I think I should pursue the matter of draft. Though I am not sure how much traffic that small amount will be able to generate. I should focus on adding content.

Any tool to find my site's ranking for a particular search term - Christmas Gifts. It seems that some pages have been indexed by google even though I havn't added it to the google webmasters tools. I know the niche is vast but would really like to know which page its sitting at.
    Last edited by Jhangora; September 17th, 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: adding info

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread