Tax Paying Member
    Siff Upper Lip And A Bottle Of Wine
    How can one be successful when...............

Last week T-W Road------ was down for an hour for 3 days in a row........Of course they claim to be unaware of any outages.

This morning I find that one of my hosts (5-sites) has been down for 20 minutes.

Then I check sites on my other host (4-sites) and what do I find.....Server has failed....
    First e-mail from them after I file a support ticket
    Unfortunately the server your account resides on is having some technical problems that our admins are currently working on to resolve. We're not sure of an ETA on when this server will be back on-line but it shouldn't be much longer.
    Second e-mail from the host
    server that you are on is currently having emergency maintenance performed.
    In the Third e-mail, they send me a forum link so that I can stay abreast of the progress. Its been over 4 hours. Looks like a long day.

I do know that things happen and that the hosting companies are doing everything to get this fixed............But it gets awfully frustrating............Weather is nice......Looks like a day to go sit on the deck and have a glass of wine or 2 or 3
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Maybe it's time to ask them about their emergency management procedures. Back in my affiliate days I had one host with all of my sites on it since they had a "hot" backup that could take over in minutes.

I thought this was great-until the main server fried. The tech, who wasn't enlightened about the hot backup, took this backup server, reformatted the drives and installed the OS. The reformat didn't do much for the hot backup plan. They asked me if I could setup my sites again, databases and all, since they had nothing to restore from. Needless to say it didn't take long to spread my sites out over different hosting companies and dump the original hosting company.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice View Post
    Maybe it's time to ask them about their emergency management procedures.
    They came through. We are back on line and all sites are in proper working order.

spread my sites out over different hosting companies and dump the original hosting company.
    That is what I was doing. The server that went down was with a new hosting account (30 days).

We lost up-time, 5 plus hours, but all sites and data was saved.

Deck is nice. Think that I will have another glass
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Are these two hosts affiliated?

What a coincidence.

Anyway, glad things are back up.

How many glasses did it take?

http and a telephoto
    ugh. Not a great day, but glad your sites are back. I actually checked with my host a day or so ago to be sure the automatic backups were being backed up. I didn't ask where, might be a good idea.

I stayed away from one hosting company that I previously thought had a great reputation. I opened a VPS account, then wanted a second one but wanted it on a separate box from the first one. They told me that ALL their VPS accounts *are on the same box*. All of them. I moved everything to a new host the next day. That I know has separate boxes in separate locations.

Hosting is a necessary evil that we need to be able to rely on, but all we have is reputation to go on.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    Are these two hosts affiliated?

How many glasses did it take?
    No. The 2 hosts are not related.

I am relieved that they were able to recover everything.
    About 3 years ago, I had a similar experience with a host and lost everythig.

I stopped after 2 glasses of wine, but I learned that working from the deck is a style that I could easily get accustomed to working
    Last edited by Witzer; September 13th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Carolina China

I spent a night working like that in the company of a bottle of Bailey's. A lot of my web pages got very well optimized for typo traffic.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

It is certainly good to hear you got everything "back" and didn't have to rebuild.

I understand how nice it is working from your deck with a glass or two of wine. You saw the front porch where I frequently work in the earlier part of the day. I'm usually drinking coffee at that point though - a bit too early for wine. (Well, there might be just a bit of blackberry brandy in some of that coffee... )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    I plucked this from their web site about 30 mis ago.

There is a complete power outage effecting one of the Bluehost data centers, expected ETA is roughly 1:00 AM Mountain Standard Time.

Provo Power has requested that we shut down power while the transformer is being replaced. They are allowing us to use UPS power for the phone system. The other data center is unaffected by this outage.
    I know that the host doesn't have control over a blown transformer.........but what about a backup power system????

These same sites were off line for 20mins on Monday, 20 Mins Tuesday, 30 Mins on Thursday morning and completely gone on Thursday night.

Some of my sites have been offline for about 6 hours.
    No this is not the host with the HD problem a few days ago.......
    Last edited by Witzer; September 17th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
    Carolina China

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread