The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Linkshare - Some Things Never Change
    I'm sure it's been a year since I've pulled their links. I'm teaching someone the ropes, so I made a test purchase.

The sale was for 7 items... $75

It showed up as 3 items - $42.

1. Seriously, how does the whole order not show up? Is there a human somewhere in the process that changes the totals before it registers? Does someone skim off the top before a sale is reported?

I go to submit the "order didn't track form". Error message - it's too soon.

I do this every day until the allotted time transpires and the form is accepted.

2. How is it helpful if an error appears - that we have to wait to report it???

A reasonable company would want to be made aware of a problem so they can nip it in the bud right away - so it doesn't affect others.

I get no response from whoever gets the form so today I call their customer support number

3. If affiliate marketing is only about one thing - we place a link for a promised commission... if it doesn't happen, why isn't that something they make a TOP PRIORITY to respond to?

4. Same complaint for the last 20 years: Why isn't their support number listed anywhere once you're logged in? I always have to log out, go to their main page to get to their contact information. A jaded person would assume they don't want affiliates (their bread and butter) to contact them.

I get a rep named Leilanie. Suffice it to say, Linkshare's track record of never being able to answer an affiliate question is safely in tact.

5. Why does Linkshare supply a support number when they don't offer anything that resembles support?

I ask for a supervisor. I get Jade. I've complained about her lack of support skills before - she remembered me. I tell her up front: I have 3 questions. This is the ONLY number Linkshare gives us for support. If you can't answer my questions - or won't give me the person who can - I'll be contacting the BBB.

I haven't used Linkshare in a year. The first time I do...

The sale didn't track correctly

No one responded to the Inquiry

Support couldn't answer my question - or connect me with someone who could

I file a BBB complaint.

Some things never change.

All My Best,
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post
    I'm sure it's been a year since I've pulled their links. I'm teaching someone the ropes, so I made a test purchase.

1. Seriously, how does the whole order not show up? Is there a human somewhere in the process that changes the totals before it registers? Does someone skim off the top before a sale is reported?

Did you check the program terms for that merchant?

Some of them have huge lists of SKUs of things they pay a commission on and other stuff that doesnt ..
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador

I go to submit the "order didn't track form". Error message - it's too soon.

I do this every day until the allotted time transpires and the form is accepted.

2. How is it helpful if an error appears - that we have to wait to report it???

A reasonable company would want to be made aware of a problem so they can nip it in the bud right away - so it doesn't affect others.

I get no response from whoever gets the form so today I call their customer support number

3. If affiliate marketing is only about one thing - we place a link for a promised commission... if it doesn't happen, why isn't that something they make a TOP PRIORITY to respond to?

4. Same complaint for the last 20 years: Why isn't their support number listed anywhere once you're logged in? I always have to log out, go to their main page to get to their contact information. A jaded person would assume they don't want affiliates (their bread and butter) to contact them.

I get a rep named Leilanie. Suffice it to say, Linkshare's track record of never being able to answer an affiliate question is safely in tact.

5. Why does Linkshare supply a support number when they don't offer anything that resembles support?

I ask for a supervisor. I get Jade. I've complained about her lack of support skills before - she remembered me. I tell her up front: I have 3 questions. This is the ONLY number Linkshare gives us for support. If you can't answer my questions - or won't give me the person who can - I'll be contacting the BBB.

I haven't used Linkshare in a year. The first time I do...

The sale didn't track correctly

No one responded to the Inquiry

Support couldn't answer my question - or connect me with someone who could

I file a BBB complaint.

Some things never change.

All My Best,
    Billy
    Can you put this in the Test Purchases Report Forum - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

the name of the merchant, so we can keep track of this type of thing.
    Last edited by Trust; September 16th, 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added link

You can move it if you want Trust - but it's more than a tracking issue. It's a total meltdown of the Linkshare business model.

Georgie - they were all the same product

All My Best,
    Billy

You can move it if you want Trust - but it's more than a tracking issue. It's a total meltdown of the Linkshare business model.

All My Best,
    Billy
    Oh wow!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador

All My Best,
    Billy
    Don't want to move it, this seems to be the right place but it would also be good to know what merchant this was. Couldn't move it to that forum anyway, since you failed to mention the merchant. There is no independent tracking of these kind of things, we have to rely on ourselves, hence the Test Purchase Forum was formed. So if you have a merchant that isn't tracking properly on a self purchase, you should post about it in that forum. It's the only thing we have to compare notes. So can you start one there as well. Thanks.

"Georgie - they were all the same product"

Was it exactly the same product? Because the math above doesn't add up that it was.
    Last edited by Trust; September 16th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Dear B kay,

Thank you for your recent order! This is a confirmation of your order. Please take a look at the details below and let us know immediately if you identify any errors.

Order #: SO030647200
    Order placed: 09/07/2010
    Item Id Item name Delivery name Item price Quantity Total price
    303237 Pers Baby Girl Bootie b kay $9.99 1.00 $9.99
    Personalization:
    Name Alyeska Elisabeth
    Birth Date May 31, 2010
    303111 Pers Deluxe Baby Girl Bootie b kay $10.99 2.00 $21.98
    Personalization:
    Name EMILY
    Name EMILY
    Date JUNE 18 th 2010
    Date JUNE 18 th 2010
    Time 9:28AM
    Time 9:28AM
    Weight 7lb 5 oz.
    Weight 7lb 5 oz.
    Length
    Length
    Personalization:
    Name Avalynne
    Birth Date June 28, 2010
    303111 Pers Deluxe Baby Girl Bootie b kay $10.99 1.00 $10.99
    Personalization:
    Name Allison
    Date March 29, 2010
    Time 3:06am
    Weight 8 lbs. 12oz
    Length 21 1/2" long
    303111 Pers Deluxe Baby Girl Bootie b kay $10.99 1.00 $10.99
    Personalization:
    Name Addison
    Date May 7, 2010
    Time 1:19 p.m.
    Weight 6 lbs., 13oz.
    Length 21'' long
    Personalization:
    Name Jessica
    Birth Date September 5, 1991

Subtotal: $73.93
    Discounts: -$0.00
    Misc: $0.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Processing Fee: $1.99
    Postage: $0.00
    Order total: $75.92

It has been our pleasure to serve you.

Sincerely,

Walter Drake Customer Service

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, have them on a couple of sites. Looks like that $21.98 and one of the $9.99 is missing. Maybe the LS mod that's reading can take a look and get to the bottom of it.

Did you already receive all the items? I wonder if it's possible that some of the items were out of stock or shipping later kind of thing. I actually had that happen before.

But if you got them all or the intended party, then something else is up. Skimming, tracking issue, something.
    Last edited by Trust; September 16th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

It sounds like a problem on the merchant's end to me. My first suspicion would be that they have some coding problems that cause multiple lines of the same product not to track properly.

In all my years of affiliate marketing, I've only seen a couple cases of actual skimming. It's almost always unintentional coding errors.

The errors can sometimes be in our favor, too. I've seen times where coupon discounts aren't reflected (so I earned commissions on the pre-discounted order total) and one time where orders of multiple products were multiplied (so an order for 16 of one item got commissioned at 16*16) -- they fixed that one pretty quick.

It seems pretty simple to us, but tracking (especially item-based tracking) is really fairly complex. That's one reason I prefer single network / network cookie / order tracking pixel. It's the simplest method. Sure, we lose a percentage with lost cookies, but it's much harder for a merchant's IT team to mess up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the info. Even though I'm new to this I'll keep that in mind. Noteven so much for the merchant tracking part, but the lack of customer support. Like you said, we are the bread and butter of these affiliate networks and if they can't help out when there is a problem then they aren't any good to us.
    A while back I was dealing with click-bank and never really had a problem. Although I wasn't raking in huge amounts of money or anything.
    Now, though, I'm dealing with SAS and life's good. The user panel is easy, creating deep links and just the overall support from them has been great.

Logged into LS this morning - they resolved the issue by manually crediting me the difference.

Big deal!

I escalated it.

I want to know WHY - HOW - and $75 order can be listed as a $42 order.

It's bad enough that as affiliates we wonder why the thousands of clicks never register as a sale... but when they occasionally DO give us credit for a sale, I'd like to feel confident it's for the ACTUAL amount of the sale!

All My Best,
    Billy Kay

That was the Manual Credits Charge.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread