Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I went to TGIF with some friends SHOCKING NEWS!

If you ever go there look over your check completely, they automatically add the gratuity. If it wasn’t for one of my friends bringing it to my attention I would have tipped the waiter AGAIN!

Personally I was offended by the action, I always tip well.

I brought it to the attention of the waiter – after hearing BULLSHIT --- some people do not tip well excuse, I educated him with the facts on tipping.

Tipping is not a requirement but a way to show GRATITUDE for services rendered. We the public have no obligation to provide additional earning for services, its polite to tip for services that meet above standards, when an individual does not tip “ perhaps the service could have been better?”

Needless to state he got ZERO tip from me! (That is a first for me)

Tipping is not technically required but we all know that the only pay the waiter gets (the $2 an hour doesn't even pay 1/2 of the taxes). If you have $20 to buy a steak you have another $4 to tip for it. If you don't, order a smaller one or go to Burger King where you don't have to tip. Justify it however you want, this is the truth.

As far as adding the tip: on larger tables I could see how (since one bad tip can ruin your night), but on less than 6 is stupid. All that said, if they add, they add it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    I went to TGIF with some friends SHOCKING NEWS!

If you ever go there look over your check completely, they automatically add the gratuity. If it wasn’t for one of my friends bringing it to my attention I would have tipped the waiter AGAIN!

Personally I was offended by the action, I always tip well.

I brought it to the attention of the waiter – after hearing BULLSHIT --- some people do not tip well excuse, I educated him with the facts on tipping.

Tipping is not a requirement but a way to show GRATITUDE for services rendered. We the public have no obligation to provide additional earning for services, its polite to tip for services that meet above standards, when an individual does not tip “ perhaps the service could have been better?”

Needless to state he got ZERO tip from me! (That is a first for me) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Sandra,

I know what you mean...I've seen Red Lobster do the same thing (automatically add the gratuity). It appears what once was a bonus for a job well done has become an expected part of some folks checks. The problem is that I've had the unfortunate experience of dining in some major chain establishments where the service was so abysmal that any sort of gratuity was unjustified.

"Waitress...it's been an hour...can I have my tea now?"

It might be only at some TGIF'S as we cashed in some gift cards the other night, and there was no additional charge. Worked out kinda nice for us, as with tip, the cards covered dinner for four.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Ryan:
    Tipping is not technically required but we all know that the only pay the waiter gets (the $2 an hour doesn't even pay 1/2 of the taxes). If you have $20 to buy a steak you have another $4 to tip for it. If you don't, order a smaller one or go to Burger King where you don't have to tip. Justify it however you want, this is the truth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You missed the point - I always tip.

They added it to the bill and did not tell me. I do not scrutinize my bill; as long as it’s not outrageous I sign it and add a tip or leave cash as the tip.

The point is they added it and said not a damn word; I was about to leave cash - when friends explained the tip was added.

When exactly is my responsibility to pay him because he cannot get a better job?

By the way the service did SUCK – I received only one drink, there was no offer of dessert, we had to ask for a child seat 3 times. It was terrible and I was still gong to leave them $5.00, until I found out I was auto billed $8.00.

ABW Ambassador
    How big was your party? Every chain ads 15% for parties over X (normally 6 or more) number because a party like that will dominate a servers time. They will also often do it if you use coupons.

Chet

This tipping game is just a load of crap to enable the restraunt/cafe owners to get away with paying p*ss poor wages.

If my service was good enough I'll tip, if not stuff em.

When I was working in construction I worked just as hard as any waiter and I never got tips so why the hell should I be compelled to give one?

The employees should be compelled to pay them a reasonable livable wage and any tips should be a welcomed extra, not a neccessity to enable them to live
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Side note;
    People tend to think they are rewarding a good server with a good tip. Or punishing a poor server with a small tip.

However, many establihments, especially chains, put all the tip money in one pool, which is divided evenly at the end of the shift/ or day.

ABW Ambassador
    I have never, ever heard that simey and I worked many a crappy chain for a while in college.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    How big was your party? Every chain ads 15% for parties over X (normally 6 or more) number because a party like that will dominate a servers time. They will also often do it if you use coupons.
    Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet,

The party was 7 people and one was a child of 18 months.

I am not an amateur at tipping, my husband tells me I give to much, I normally know these people are working there way through college and every bit helps.

What TGIF did is bull hockey as Haiko calls it!

---------------------------------------------

Simey; I've only heard of bars doing that, but I would not be surprised by tip pooling!

I've had this happen at a freaking self-serve buffet. Talk about moronic!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simey:
    Side note;
    People tend to think they are rewarding a good server with a good tip. Or punishing a poor server with a small tip.

However, many establihments, especially chains, put all the tip money in one pool, which is divided evenly at the end of the shift/ or day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll back that one up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    This tipping game is just a load of crap to enable the restraunt/cafe owners to get away with paying p*ss poor wages.

When I was working in construction I worked just as hard as any waiter and I never got tips so why the hell should I be compelled to give one?

The employees should be compelled to pay them a reasonable livable wage and any tips should be a welcomed extra, not a neccessity to enable them to live <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree,
    Tell me selling a steak for 20 dollars or more and drinks going for over 4 dollars won't give them enough money to pay a decent wage! Tipping should only be for a superior job done and only by choice. It should never be considered as part of ones wage.

ABW Ambassador
    But Sandra, as a rule they do not do it to everyone as your original post proclaims. They do it to parties over 6, and I will bet you $500 that it says that on the menu. It really is pretty standard. Attacking the server over it is silly and uncalled for, I highly doubt he printed the menus or set the policy.

I would be more pissed that they probably charged you $2.00+ for a coke.

Chet

Fine Chet,

When I am back in Kalamazoo. MI at TGIF I will purposely look at the menu and seek out the automated gratuity for 6 or more guests.

It sure would have helped if the twerp would have at least asked everyone if they wanted a refill - or at a bare minimum dessert!

Yup yup...I eat at Fridays all the time in Porter Ranch (near Northridge here in LA, CA). They do add an 18% tip to bills for partie greater than 6. Always have, so Sandra, I wouldn't get rubbed the wrong way...their potato skins makes up for any bad service

Also to smiey's point, my cousin works at Red Robin and all the waiters give a portion of their tops to the food runners, hosts, and kitchen staff at the end of their shift.

I eat out all the time (trust me, you sould see my bathroom scale...umm actually don't) and I don't mind them adding tip, I would never shortchange any waiter so matter how crappy the service...but maybe I'm just a nice guy.

Internet Cowboy
    Sandra,
    Where were you? I know that in some areas of the US, Miami for example, there is a large number of European tourists and, since tipping is not customary in most European countries, tips are added to all checks.
    If you were at a vacation hotspot, this is most likely the reason.
    Also, more times than not, adding the gratuity to the check is at the discretion of the server.

Most if not all restaraunts will add 15% - 18% tip on larger parties (usually 6 or more) ...not uncommon at all.

Keep in mind that most servers are taxed on their tips, the restaurant assumes they receive 15% tips on all of their checks and charges them payroll taxes accordingly, so if you are tipping less than 15% you are stiffing the waiter/waitress - they are paying taxes on money you didn't give them!

I spent 15 years working on the road, eating out 3 times per day for 10 months / year, so I've seen the gammet of server's abilities. Although I do agree that restaurants should be able to pay more, I will say the in countries where there is no tipping (the servers make a real wage) the service is usually not nearly as good as it is in the US.

I recently read an article that stated that when servers are doing non-server work (like prepping silverware, cleaning, etc) they qualify for minimum wage, but virtually no restaurants follow this law... (at least this is true in NY state)

Went to a restaurant once where the menu had instructions on tipping.

Also gave useful information like it helped the waiting staff avoid paying tax.

I'm going to add a tip option to my store - if someone wants to pay 15% more as a tip, they can just check the box.

in your signature it says "All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!"

every waiter or member of their family says the same about people who stiff them. You seem to be looking for an excuse to stiff the waiter. Don't go to places with waiters then. At least don't go twice to one you don't tip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:

The employees should be compelled to pay them a reasonable livable wage and any tips should be a welcomed extra, not a neccessity to enable them to live <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Ryan:
    in your signature it says "All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!"

every waiter or member of their family says the same about people who stiff them. You seem to be looking for an excuse to stiff the waiter. Don't go to places with waiters then. At least don't go twice to one you don't tip

Were you makign $2.13 an hour as construction worker? The idea is that waiteres will be tipped, that's why they make that much an hour. If they had to get paid $20 an hour, the prices you pay would clearly reflect that.

The employees should be compelled to pay them a reasonable livable wage and any tips should be a welcomed extra, not a neccessity to enable them to live <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    You missed the point - I always tip.

They added it to the bill and did not tell me. I do not scrutinize my bill; as long as it’s not outrageous I sign it and add a tip or leave cash as the tip.

The point is they added it and said not a damn word; I was about to leave cash - when friends explained the tip was added.

When exactly is my responsibility to pay him because he cannot get a better job?

By the way the service did SUCK – I received only one drink, there was no offer of dessert, we had to ask for a child seat 3 times. It was terrible and I was still gong to leave them $5.00, until I found out I was auto billed $8.00. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I always said the Gratuity was included whenever I added it. We had the option on adding on 8+ parties but I rarely did. Mostly added it to europeans and certain ethnic groups here who (generally speaking) thought that 10% was more than enough. However, it said on the menu that 18% would be added on 8+ people.

When I added it said it was added. When I didn't, I said I didn't add it and it's up to you. However, if it said on the menu and on the check, in all fairness you can't really blame the waiter.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I agree with you Sandra - this defeats the purpose of tipping. I tip 20% or 25% routinely.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! I take offense to that! Do you think you are somehow better than I am because I wait tables to support myself? You are probably one those people who talks down to service people because you think we are uneducated morons. No wonder you get bad service.

I lost my job of 7 years when the company I was working for went out of business after 9/11. Maybe you haven't looked for a job recently but they aren't that easy to find. I am not lazy, nor am I uneducated. I happen to have a master’s degree. Fortunately I am not "too proud" to wait tables to make ends meet. Waiting tables provides a very livable income for me.

The restaurant I work for automatically adds the gatuity for groups of 8 or more. This is printed on our menu. If you don't like it, maybe you should stick to drive thru's.

That's my .02 and you can deduct it from my tip.
    (Climbing down off soap box now)

Kristen

I used to wait tables in high school, and I can say that large parties can be a real pain in the neck. Everyone wants everything at the same time, water, bread, salads, etc. Impossible for one person to do. And I really hated it when everyone wanted a SEPARATE check!

I do believe that leaving a tip is recognition of a job well done, and that it is not something that is guaranteed to the wait person. It's too bad that restaurant management depends on tipping to supplement a person's pay.

Poor service does not necessarily deserve a tip, unless the problem is very obviously beyond the control of the person waiting the tables (slow kitchen, food improperly cooked, etc.)

Large parties are difficult to service, and I can understand adding a tip automatically to the bill, simply because it often takes more than just the one server to tend to their needs.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast