Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Just want to let you all know I am thinking of you and hoping you are riding the storm out all intact.

Check in when you can and let us know you're ok...

It looks like Punta Gorda got nailed pretty hard.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Hope Poon family is doing okay.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    S. Florida doing good, thank you!

Not even a drop of rain around here. We needed another break, those that have been around an Andrew - Fear sets in when we hear the word HURI....

Keep safe, the news over here says things are pretty grim in Florida.

Hope everyone is okay.

The news on TV this morning doesn't look good for parts of the west coast of Florida, as well as a good section of the inland areas. I heard body bags had been ordered, so that's not a good sign.

Hope all Florida ABWers are OK.

Andy

Yes, they are talking about many people missing too.Could be lack of communication as anywhere between 650,000 to 2,000,000 people are without electricity (depending on what TV network) Damage in the Billions...

Need to watch out for those downed powerlines as there is one report of a woman being electrocuted walking into a puddle of water.

Anyone hear from Buddha?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

All day Friday, as Hurricane Charley was making his way through Florida, I kept saying thanks that we had been fortuitous enough to have had the huge pine tree in the middle of our front yard cut down a few months ago. That tree loomed over the center of our roof, and with the way it leaned, I was sure one day it would be hit by lightening and come crashing down. It was such a relief knowing it was gone when news that Charley was heading straight for us came.

I happily spent the day working diligently on my website waiting for Charley to pass. At about 7:00 p.m. our electricity went out. I couldn’t work any more, so I decided the best thing to do was get in bed and take a nap so that I would be rested and could get back to work once Charley had passed and the electricity came back on. I was sleeping peacefully when I was suddenly awakened by a loud thud and the sound of rattling glass. The entire house shook, and I thought for sure the roof was coming down upon me.

I ran out of the bedroom and asked my husband what had happened. In the dusk, rain and heavy winds all we could initially make out was that a branch had fallen on the roof. Further investigation revealed that a large pine tree in our next-door-neighbor’s yard had uprooted and landed on our roof. At first, we felt fortunate because it didn’t look like there was any damage to the house, as the tree was leaning on the very corner of our roof. Unfortunately, a half hour later I walked into the bedroom and water was leaking through the ceiling fan unto the bedspread.

My husband crawled up into the attic and discovered three branches of the tree had penetrated the roof over our bedroom. The winds and rain died down enough that he was able to go up on the roof and cover two of the holes with sheet metal. The third hole had to be patched with tar. This should minimize the damage until repairs can be made.

All in all, we weathered the storm. The important thing is we’re fine, and the material damage can be repaired. The electricity came back on at 10:00 p.m., so I’ve been busy working on my website again. I'm anxiously awaiting word from friends in areas that were harder hit. This is so frustrating because with phones and electricity forcast to be out for days, there is no way of finding out how they faired.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Wow Tracy! I glad to hear you guys are ok with minimal damage.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    My heart goes out to all in the affected area
    It looks terrible on the news, so probably can't fathom how much worse it actually is and what we don't see on the TV

Counting my blessings. We have power and water. Finally just heard from a friend in Lake Wales area. Her cell phone just started getting a signal again. They had no damage to their home, but estimated that they won't be getting power/water for two weeks. I think that's worse than three holes in my roof.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Tracy, that's unbelievable! You're so lucky no one was hurt.

If you decide to replace the tree, choose one that has a deep root system. It's almost always the trees with shallow root systems that topple in storms.

Anybody know how badly Lehigh Acres got hit?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    anyone hear from Andy R

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Glad some of you are back online and with minimal damage!

Hopefully the power'll be back on for the rest soon so we can get reports.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Yes, I really hope everyone we know and all their loved ones weathered the storm and are OK.

ABW Ambassador
    We may not be hearing from a few poeple considering the power is down in so many areas and they are not sure when the power will be restored. They may not be able to get online.
    Andy R should be ok I believe he is on the east coast, very little damage there as far as I know.
    Still wondering about Budha and Bpal probably not hearing from them due to the loss of power, at least that is my hope and they are ok.
    Cazzie

You guys are lucky. Last year's Hurricane left our area without power for eleven-days. Many of the big oak trees fell in our area too, with almost every-other house sustaining some kind of damage.

Count your blessings.

Fred

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread