Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am thinking of getting Visual Basic for my 10yr old to learn some programming skills. Is this software of any value to affiliate marketers?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

10yr old?

================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

wow I couldn't even read at 10
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    You can download VB5 "control creation edition" for free somewhere. It will let you make projects but not make installers. It will make OCX files and compile them, but not finish out the project.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > Visual Basic

It's a great program highly recommend it. But only if you want him/her to end up as a Database Administrator. Free good videos here too. http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/videos

If you want to stear him/her towards affiliate marketing then have him/her read all 352,497 pages on this site www.abestweb.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have used vb on a successful affiliate site. Soon you move on from Bill G's little world.

I would recommend a lesson in perl for him and you. "Learning perl: oreily" its a great book and will get him much further in the aff and corporate world.

? Do you really want him wrapped up in this virtual world?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it'd be a fine value for AM--but only if he/she can come up with some programs worth running.

The biggest limitation is probably the coder's own imagination...

[Fixed typo]
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hmmm 10 year old... I would normally say that was advanced but to each their own.

I would suggest that if you have any version of Office Professional (yes the Microsoft version) then you would start with that. Visual basic is part of module component and yet a bit less complex than a whole "start from scratch" programmming that might be a bit much for a child.

It is a good jump off point to real VB though and since if you already own the software it would be free - that would be a likely move. Your child could create simple macros and modules and then move from there into the actual VB land of arrays and boring variables.

Just a thought...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is this software of any value to affiliate marketers? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. You would be able to write your own version of webmerge or some other datafeed page generator.

The skills learned in VB are easiy transfered to coding ASP or .NET pages. Plus you will learn other skills like conditional statements, loops , arrays etc that transferable to other "web" scripting languages like perl or php at least in concept.

I always found it hard to learn a language without an "end product in mind". For example maybe he can write a simple calculator to figure out how much chlorine to add to a pool to raise the chlorine levels to a certain level.

ABW Ambassador

Several years ago there used to be a free download of a Visual Basic clone available off of the Web. I have no idea how good it was.

If Visual Basic is as good as the old QuickBASIC 4.5, I'd say get it if your
    10 year old has a lot of smarts.
    The worst that could happen is that he finds other interests.

I wish I had the opportunity for something like that when I was 10.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Getting children into coding early is fantastic. They will develop some great logic skills and will be a far better computer user even if they dont ever become a programmer. I had my first programming experiences around 10 years old when I bought my first Atari 400 with loads of saved paper-route money. I have been coding in some way ever since.

ALL of my affiliate marketing is based around my programming skills. There are loads of interesting things you can do with all the data out there other than 'web merge' style applications.

Also, Database skills are ESSENTIAL. A great way to get started is by working with MS Access. You can create a great database applicaion and then start interjecting small amounts of code here and there for features.

Also, most of the 3d engines out there are scriptable. If your kid likes 'doom' style games get him/her into the level editors. Loads of great computer and programming skills can be learned there also. Plus it will keep their interest longer than a database....

VB was my first programming language, and while those brain cells are long dead now (haven't programmed in years!) it did give me a good background for being self-employed on the Net.

...but 10 years old? Seems young to me. Of course if he's interested on his own, nuture that boy! You probably have a genius on your hands.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    by the time i was 7 i knew Basic, Logo and Pascal. Start when they are little.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by the time i was 7 i knew Basic, Logo and Pascal. Start when they are little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And look how well IamJaloppy turned out.
    The picture of sophistication .... an inebriated skunk.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps, but the beer of choice is not swill. Even been known to pound a whisky old fashioned if made correctly.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrami:
    &gt; Visual Basic

It's a great program highly recommend it. But only if you want him/her to end up as a Database Administrator. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly. Lots of other applications can benefit from use of VB. I've used it to create my catalog & invoicing applications for my used book site.

As MrSpeed said, it will translate smoothly into ASP or dotNet applications which will be helpful in affiliate marketing. (Example: Many thousands of individual Webmerge files vs. a single ASP file for the same datafeed.) All my sites are written in ASP using skills taken directly from VB.

I'm currently rewriting CAD applications I wrote in AutoLISP many years ago, this time using VB to integrate AutoCAD drawings with Access databases.

Lots of things one can do besides being a database administrator.

Wayne

I found a program (shareware 19.95) called "Visual Basic for Kids". They get into game creation, which my son would love.

What I am wondering is if it also would be an asset for me. I would get VB4.0 off ebay since the latest version new price is like $400 or more!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You couldn't do anything gaming-wise with VB4. He'd basically be just playing around with forms.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    Have a look at DarkBasic
    http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

I think your son would love it! I know I would if i had the time....

How does Darkbasic compare to 3drad.com ? (I just found this in a search).

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, I dont have specifics. I have had my eye on DarkBasic for a long time but have never used it. I just don't have the time to dedicate 8-(

DarkBasic does appear to have loads more support, sample programs and a massive forum of users. Take a look at the # of posts in the forums for each dev environment and take a look at some of the DarkBasic demo screenshots.

I think PHP is more suitable for a 10-year old.

Free, Easy, Can make money online!

Also, ever since VB.NET is launched (.Net Framework), I don't think it worth your time to learn VB6 or lower because a lot of things are different now.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You can get VB.NET Standard 2003 for ~$92 at Amazon...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I turned into a c# coder when I moved from vb6 to .net. I agree it is a valuable skill to know but we are talking about keeping the attention of 10 year old. I think one of the game creation basics OR a game level editor with scripting would be the way to go. The kid has to WANT to play with it and must be able to see results quickly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast