View Poll Results: Where have some members gone?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • infoPOOP

4 6.25%
  • Some unprofessional posts by members turn off other members.

29 45.31%
  • Some were just confused MLMers.

1 1.56%
  • Lack of time.

6 9.38%
  • Other

24 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Why do you think that some of ABW''s 15,000+ members don't return to ABW?

Did they truly leave or are they just lurkers?

I voted other, because - how can you know why people who sign up for something don't return?

There will always be many more members than active members.

As for InfoPoop - I think that's more of a frustration for active members when it goes pear-shaped. New members who joined when new posts isn't working may be put off, but I doubt if it's a major contribution to your poll.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Most join to lunk for the latest tricks and pick out victim merchants who are worth the effort for cookie stuffing schemes. Once this board gets the balls to start publically outing the cookie stuffers, employing the poormans' BHO (now the networks have a revised CoC) the lurkers will come out and whine or blow smoke screens. Notice eevry single ABW merchant forum is on the cookie stuffers preferred list.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I voted other. I think some went because of items 2, 3, and 4, but there are a lot of people who sign up for things and never post (lurkers), or sign up to put their 2c in on a topic, but then get distracted by other things in their lives.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Notice eevry single AMW merchant forum is on the cookie stuffers preferred list. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think their visibility puts them on a lot of preferred lists, regardless of technology (or lack of it) used.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I voted #2 although 3 and 4 are just as valid just we can't have more than one vote

I voted "other" too.

I'm a registered member at a number of forums where I had to register to post a question or answer. After returning a few times, something about the forum just wasn't right - too cliquey, wrong emphasis, it way over my head, it was too basic for what I wanted - whatever.

So I remain a registered member though the forums aren't even bookmarked any more and I can't remember which ones they were.

ABW Ambassador
    This behavoir is pretty normal for all forums, not just ABW.

I voted "Other." I think it's a combination of things. Some won't like the unprofessional posts, although you have to have a certain level of toleration for those on almost every forum. Some I'm sure come back to lurk and learn, and aren't the type to post in the first place, regardless of the forum and its members.

People who are active now might not be in the future, and it seems several times a week a lurker becomes an active member.

There are some pretty strong personalities here, and I can see how a newcomer might lurk for a long time before becoming active, but I doubt that's a huge reason why people never post.

I don't think it's possible to contribute it to any one thing, as there are lots of reasons why people join but never become active. Or wait a few months to post.

Andy

This is what I think:

Out of the 15,000 members screen names, probably 1000 are members under another different screen names for various reasons.

Out of the 14,000 members screen names, probably 200 have died or are to old to remember about this site or just retired from this business all together.

Out of the 13,800 members screen names, probably 300 are banned from posting.

Out of the 13,500 members screen names, probably 500 just joined in order to spam the forums and or just to post their site links.

Out of the 13,000 members screen names, probably 10,000 are still around and making a lot of money, so they probably just pass by here once in a while and lurk around for new info, without the need to log in.

Out of the 3,000 members screen names, probably 1,000 are merchants, government agents, spy's, etc, people that just become members in order to use the features that are available only after login in.

Out of the 2,000 members screen names, probably 1,000 get here in search of help with one problem and if they find it, they don't post again until they need help again.

Out of the 1,000 members screen names, probably 200 are just trouble makers and they only post to make noise, complain or just trash a thread.

Out of the 800 members screen names, probably 400 just post once in a while but, at least they still active members and post no less than twelve times a year.

Out of the 400 members screen names left, probably 200 are online when the other 200 are sleeping and vice versa.

Disclaimer

Note: The above figures where obtained from the Notional Inquirer

I thought I'd also add that the number online continues to grow, just like the membership numbers. I can remember a time when it was unusual to see 100 people online. Now I regularly see 150-160 online, so I think it's difficult to determine who comes back and who doesn't.

Andy

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; People who are active now might not be in the future, and it seems several times a week a lurker becomes an active member.

&gt; probably 1000 are members under another different screen names for various reasons.

Agree with both.

I voted for other since most of the time I'm here I see around 40% of the people online are just guests, lurkers like right now. (There are currently 41 members and 24 guests on the forums)

I was a member of a private forum back in 98'/99' and some people joined as members with diff screen names and later we found out that some were actual competition either lurking or sending back information to the competiton on our ideas, ect.

In other words most poeple in any forum are actual contributors, honest and always log in, but some will be just "spies".

I'm glad to be one of the 400.....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I think a lot of people join forums and read for a while and then just forget about them. Probably, a lot came here out of curiosity and thought, "Affiliate marketing sounds good, I should try that some time." Then, it goes on their to do list and gets lost along with everything else. Or, it sounds too hard and they forget it.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I remember a similar question was posted when there were about 500 members here!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I voted for 2. I came to this forum around dec 2003 following a link. I read some posts and was not 'comfortable' with the 'tone' of the posts. I don't even remember the post . Then returned again in march 2004 thru another link and found the post helpful, registered and since then i come to this forum twice or thrice a day. Wish i had joined in Dec itself .

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I lurked for a very long time because of the behavior of some folks on this board. The funny thing is that the ones that worried me the most are either the easiest to ignore or turned out to be pretty nice people once I got to know them.

Also there was a knowledge and expertise factor at play. There are a lot of folks here who are experts at AM. Until I had reached a certain degree of competency in AM I honestly didn't think I had anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussions.

In any case, there are probably as many answers to this question as there are members of ABW, but I like Sal's explanation best.

Well I voted for No1. As I STILL haven't got anything better than a dial-up connection that's flakey at best (and I have a real business to run), I will often just pop-in to take a quick look as this is probably the slowest forum I've ever used. Even a quick look takes 15 to 20 minutes.

Whenever I actually post anything, I really need to be online for at least 1/2 hour.

Roll on January 26th (when BT enables broadband in my area!)

I can't vote

I'm not American Citizen (yet!)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

The more things change, the more they stay the same! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I remember a similar question was posted when there were about 500 members here! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Then, we had 500, most of whom didn't post. Now, we have 15,000 most of whom don't post!

Do you really think we ought to worry about it, folks? We must be doing something right to have that kind of growth.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't vote but like Sals post. I will add that at least a couple of them are consumers who came here to openly complain about orders where merchants may have let something slip by.

ABW Ambassador
    Some have multiple names.
    Some have been banned.
    Some have just left.
    Some just came to SPAM.
    Some are here (merchants, affiliates) just to watch and see if they get mentioned.
    Some have passed.
    Some are parasites just watching.
    Considering the high failure rate (95% or so) some might have signed up, failed and moved on.

Some only come to get their daily fix of me, Mike and Charlie!

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, i forgot something, which was actually talked about in chat one day and i know a lot of members feel this way.

How about some more affiliate marketing threads? I know parasites, bad merchants and "all the evils" are a part of the game and need to be discussed but it seems that's all we talk about. I know a few who have stopped coming because of just this reason. How about talking about ways to make more money. More threads like the "Show the price or not show the price thread" Or threads talking about how to make money with a forum, how to get the most out of your newsletter. One of the forums i think should be more active is the Effective Advertising forum like the Traffic Brainstorm thread i started. You can always have a site but not always get that free SE traffic. So learn how to get traffic to your site without SE's. More threads like that.

ABW Ambassador

Mr. Sal's post was cool and very logical!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    How about some more affiliate marketing threads? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree - I'd also like to see threads or forums where you weren't allowed to post:

"Sales are down and it's everybody's fault but mine"

"What is wrong with this network / merchant that they don't make money for me"

Especially when it's the same old stuff repeated every couple of weeks and the posters don't accept the people who post and say "Well hey, I'm making money, maybe it's just you?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast