can't make pages
    I just started to make pages today. Jason gave me a quick run down as to how to set them up and create them. I did one page with one merchant and I've tried to make more, but it never gives me any search results.
    I even tried to set up the search with the same fields as the first page I created and it still won't return any results.

Am I doing something wrong?

It happens all the time. You can keep trying with different terms and settings or you can give up and try it on PopShops or Goldencan. Another thing you can try, if you have lots of time is to go to the merchant's "Get Links" page from your Activity Summary page and select Product Links. It opens a page of products to browse theough where you can select different versions of html code to show the products. Look out if the merchant has a lot of products..

Thanks,
    I tried a few other search terms and was able to create a couple more pages, but it won't seem to find some basic search terms. It seems to only work for one or two vendors as well. I have already applied and gotten FTP access to be able to use the feeds they offer. Maybe it's the feed from the individual merchant?

Results will only be served when there are items in a merchant's product feed that match the search term used. In a lot of cases you may need to try plural instead of singular term, or vice-versa.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thanks, but I tried that as well. I even went to the merchants site to look at groups of items containing the same words and used the actual words in my search. I even tried the same and make it real broad by using only one word. I think it would be useful if there was a way to give a drop down menu of some basic feeds from each merchant to use or be able to search for your own. Maybe they could be broken down in specific groups or criteria.
    Just a suggestion. I'll have to mention it to, Jason, "da man", at SAS when I talk to him next week.

I have already applied and gotten FTP access to be able to use the feeds they offer.
    You only have to apply if you are going to ftp the datafeeds to your site. If you are going to download them to build pages, you don't need to apply, just go get one when you want it. It costs the merchant a fee when they approve you for ftp access.

Definitely some merchant's feeds are easier than others to build from in Make-A-Page. It sometimes makes me feel like its a guessing game. If a merchant doesn't have 115 million products you could be better off downloading the feed and using WebMerge to build your own pages. Open it up in Excel or OpenOffice (free) and you'll see what you have to work with before you start. If you find any that don't need any editing, please let me know.

That's cool that you said I don't need the ftp access for just creating pages...just one question. So how does that whole ftp feed work then?
    I weld and fix stuff, this "techie" business is sometimes tricky to figure out

If you find any that don't need any editing, please let me know.
    I owe you a coffee for that one lol.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Hey...no cup a joe for the new guy?
    How 'bout a glass of whiskey

A little early in the day to offer whiskey, sorry. There's lots of info about using datafeeds via ftp, but basically it requires you to have a script on your site that will import the datafeed, edit it and arrange it in MySQL tables on a regular basis. Then you have more scripts to call the data to your pages where and how you want it to show. Most of this is do-it-yourself stuff and you can learn to write your own scripts or pay someone to write them for you. Since nothing stays static, it's best if you know how to write them yourself to keep things current.
    OR
    There are services like PopShops and GoldenCan that let you set up your shops and just paste code into your own pages where you want the shops to be. These services can auto-update.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that

I use Price Tapestry to build the datafeeds on all of my websites.

http://www.pricetapestry.com/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'll check that out also. I think for now I'll keep doing the "create a page" thing until I get used to things. Once i figure out how to edit things and write code I'll try the data feeds.

making a page
    It seems I can only make a page if the merchant only direct links to product categories with no subcategories? Or am I doing something wrong?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread