Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Today I got a cute lil booklet from Google
    Basically it gives you 8 tips on how to improve your click through rate.

Anyone else get it?

It has a URL also http://www.google.com/8tips

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, I put it in my "collectible corporate memorabilia" box in the attic (along with my Google/Dilbert mug and countless logo mugs/pens/freebies I've collected from various jobs over the years) and read the online version.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I miss the yahoo enterprise IM freebies. Those were the best.

ABW Ambassador
    Got the tips too.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...89&m=659100566

Also the $25 Adwords Credit For New Adsense Users
    http://www.google.com/credit25

Trying to get Adsense on as many sites as possible.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Mine arrived yesterday. My husband couldn't stop laughing. "What," he asked, "is the point of THAT?!?"

Tell the truth, I had no explanation.

Am I wrong, or doesn't AdSense pay just a few pennies per click to affiliates?
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

At first they paid a lot my first few checks from them were in the 4 digit range. But then they changed and I was only make 100 to 200 with them. Switched to Vibrant media now and only run the google ads every now and then. But the search pays good atleast I think it does.

Here's a Google related question:

What is everyone's opinion on affiliates including a merchant's trademark in their Google ads? Not necessary bidding on the term (that's more of a no-no) but rather including it in the title of their ad?

Should this be done only by the elite affiliates? Should it be done at all? Does it misrepresent the brand? Does it increase sales?

Let the debate begin!

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on the site and what kind of Adsense ads are showing. You can make anything from a few pennies to few dollars per click. For the one site i use it on, i'm getting a lot more than a few cents.

"What is everyone's opinion on affiliates including a merchant's trademark in their Google ads? Not necessary bidding on the term (that's more of a no-no) but rather including it in the title of their ad?

Should this be done only by the elite affiliates? Should it be done at all? Does it misrepresent the brand? Does it increase sales?"

I know there are differing opinions on this between the merchants. Some let you bid on their TM, just reading an AutoAnything email where they let you bid on their TM below 10 cents. Most don't want affiliates bidding on their TM but more on the stuff they sell. Don't really know, i only do PPC on the stuff they sell and try to be as targetted as possible which works out well.

ABW Ambassador
    Finally got my little booklet today - was beginning to feel left out. Kind of helpful in a way. While it is mainly common sense, having something "in writing" by your computer is a good way to always remember it - sometimes its the basic things that can be so easily forgotten in a rush to do other things.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JP Sauve:
    Am I wrong, or doesn't AdSense pay just a few pennies per click to affiliates? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very wrong.

As for the flip book thing... what a waste! If you've ever logged into your account, you'd know about those features. There aren't many of 'em. Yep those tips are just their standard features...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Most don't want affiliates bidding on their TM but more on the stuff they sell. Don't really know, i only do PPC on the stuff they sell and try to be as targetted as possible which works out well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the excellent response TrustNo1. Would you say that by not listing a brand name, you decrease the reputability of your product and hence lower your sales? For example: If I say "Visit an exciting theme park for $20 off" versus "Visit Disneyland, the 'Happiest Place on Earth' for $20 off," I'm sure I'd receive a higher response from the second listing.

This of course depends upon brand reputability, but food for thought...

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; Yep those tips are just their standard features...

Got my booklet. Nothing new, they should have sent a google promotional pen instead, in marketing it's the most effective.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got my booklet yesterday (CA to Mich takes a long time), but haven't looked at it yet. From what you all have said, it sounds like it's not too exciting...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> they should have sent a google promotional pen instead, in marketing it's the most effective.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be effective for a lot of people, but something more unique would be a better hit with me. The only time I use a pen is to write checks for the couple of bills I still have coming via snail-mail, so it'd be an underwhelming thing to get.

I'd rather have something really cool and unique, more along the lines of the CJ whistles.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Pens work if they are very nice pens.

The crappy Bic kind gets turfed around here.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    I think I was more impressed w/ the bag the book came in
    Hi, I'm a signature.

JP,

Ad Sense changed affiliate marketing! It makes merchants work much harder.

I'm stepping into thinking like an affiliate here when I'm not, but it's all about EPC/eCPC for an affiliate/publisher...right?

Why would an affiliate give up CPC income for CPA income unless there is an economic incentive to do so.

That means as a merchant you need to beat Ad sense and add more value. And it's a challenge for sure.

The beauty of ad sense for an affiliate is that it:

a) Affiliates have high degree of control.
    b) Risk is shared between merchant and affiliate which a CPC model.
    c) It works
    d) It's "good" contextual advertising.
    e) Affiliates don't have to be sales people- they can be publishers.
    f) The model is efficient.

Ad sense can be quite profitable. The top guys I know people who are getting Fed Exed their checks and the are up to $30K a month.

Ad sense is not perfect and it has it's issues for sure, but as someone who cares about affiliates, I think all it did was help affiliates. It shared the risk and helps keep merchants on their toes.

Since I'm not an affiliate, did I miss anything guys?

Cheers,

Beth

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The top guys I know people who are getting Fed Exed their checks and the are up to $30K a month.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Is that from content sites? Can you say how much traffic they get?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beth Kirsch:
    JP,

Ad Sense changed affiliate marketing! It makes merchants work much harder.

That means as a merchant you need to beat Ad sense and add more value. And it's a challenge for sure.

Since I'm not an affiliate, did I miss anything guys?

Cheers, Beth <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - and I'll give an example. When a certian idiot company decided to triple the cost of their product, no one was buying. But they were clicking through.

I replaced all their ads with Google and watched my profits dramatically rise. (they also run ads in Google) So for me it was a win-win situation!
    Ebudae

I just decided to give Google a try again placing it on some of my news and articles. I have been making on adverage so far 60 dollars per article these past 3 days. I put up around 4 or 5 articles a day. Still low in my opinion. But

I do notice I make more in articles where it seems all of the ads shown are relevant to the topic. Example my VoIP article made a lot and the Google ads were for AT&T Packet 8. As for a Windows XP Sp2 article where none of the google ads were relevant to the topic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Wow! Is that from content sites? Can you say how much traffic they get? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought some one might notice that statement. It's a bunch of content heavy sites with high ad sense payout content.

If you have more questions, you can PM me.

Cheers,

Beth

Tips...

Adsense ads are what you would call expanded classified ads.

NEVER EVER use the merchants name in such an ad.
    If you tell people the merchants name they will or will not know who they are...either way it's bad...if they know the merchant they have no reason to click thru, if they don't they also have an excuse to not click thru.

The purpose of an Adsens ad is to get the click thru - nothing more. Curiosity killed the cat.

"Learn how to save 30% or more on all your office product needs, guaranteed. Click here."

Will get more clickthrus than:

"Office Depot has office products for less. We have the best selection at the best prices."

If you go with ad #2, you eliminate all those who already know of Office Depot but who don't need office products right now from clicking thru. You also, eliminate those who don't know who office Depot from clicking thru because most people do not do business with people they do not know.

But if you use the ad #1 format, you can use it for any office product, or office product supplier, not just Office Depot....you are providing some knowledge that might be useful and tweak the curisosity of more people who figure maybe I need to know this info.

You have to generate the click thru before you can make the sale.

The point of Adsense making money is not how much you get per adsense click...obviously more is better, but what matters is how much are you getting per click from Adsense relative to your total site traffic.

If you get 1 million visitors per month and you average 1 cent per visitor from Adsense, you pocket $10k.

For example: I made more than 2 cents per click thru from adsense for ALL the traffic to my site last month.

So if that was your case, for 1 million visitors you would bank $20k from Adsense.

The question then comes down to what's it cost to get the 1 million visitors?

FREE is best. 1 cent and you clear $10k.

It's just plain stupid to promote any merchant who does not covert at 1 in 100 or better, when you can make $2 for every hundred people who come to your site.

Scrap the merchant and just give the viewers the option of clicking on the 4 or 5 Adsense ads for the same content.

1,000 visitors a day to a site is not a hard number to achieve...$20 per day from Adsense is $600/month. Plus if you make some sales you make even more.

I'll even help you out on how to get more adsense click thrus from a 100% sales page.

At the bottom of the page, put the following:

Thank You For Visiting (Your Site Name.)

If you would like to view similar type sites, look below - (put the Adsense banner there.)

Nice post Jersey Jean! That is why Ad Sense is the best thing for affilaite marketing, it makes merchants work much harder.

Well, and the other point that you forgot to mention is that these content heavy sites get index....obviously.

The affiliate marketing blog community I'm part of uses ad sense all the time and we get ads ranging from RSS, to affiliate marketing, to a bunch of other stuff. It's always interesting what we get.

Cheers,

Beth

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Are you nuts lol. My highest traffic site is only getting 700 max visitors a day. I doubt the rate the search engines are going that it will ever hit 1000

700 visitors per day should give you 70 or so Adsense clicks per day...If you get get 5 cents per click you make $105 per month...plus whatever you make on the sales. That's pretty good for doing zero work.

Search engine traffic is always limited...to get the bigger traffic you have to buy it or build a huge link network with an affiliate program or exchange program.

If you can create a good viral marketing program
    in which you can display a Adsense banner with some useful content, you can make huge money.

It's not all that easy to do though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast