Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Exclamation The Good and Ugly of CJ
    I like CJ because I get good conversions, I like the interface and the reporting. I dislike dealing with their staff who I find don't listen to what you say, make assumptions, they make up their mind what I want without consulting me and worst of all contacting their top level people results in you losing commissions or losing merchant offers plus emails that don't get a response. They have a terrible way of dealing with affiliates and I will not ever contact them again to seek help. For example I was asked by one of their directors recently if I was interested in having a 4 way phone conversation with them, a merchant and my CJ manager. I replied back to say yes I would be interested and supplied my contact time and my phone number. Guess what, they never bothered to reply.

    Unbelievable really, oh yeah, I was a 5 bar affiliate until I started communicating with them. Hoping to do the right thing and work with my manager etc as they always bug you to do. So I do, they mess up what I want, they go on holiday. It turned out to be a disaster to ever have any contact with them and I certainly learned my lesson.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    I've had the exact opposite experience - Things started taking off once I got a rep (which was even before I hit CJP levels). Right now, a lot of my communication is with someone who heads up a certain area of CJ, and not even with my account rep. The responsiveness that I get from my rep, other CJ contacts, and with affiliate managers (being in touch with higher ups at CJ helps with getting responses from merchants, even if it's just name dropping in an email) is great these days. I'm sent exclusive/semi-private/test-run offers on a regular basis now, due to my level of communication with CJ's team.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Thanks for your reply and that's good to hear for you. I have to admit it does help when you want to get approved for a certain merchant. I found though that they were getting me approved for merchants that I was not really that particularly interested in. I'm sure my performance manager was putting in a lot of effort after they tried to make amends with the previous mess up. They thought they were doing me a favor by getting me approved for merchants that had previously declined me. But on closer inspection all that was happening was they were contacting merchants who had initially sent me an offer, they had probably done bulk processing and then as I often get loads of offers in my interface I just accept ones that look like they are ok. Then the merchant had turned around and declined my acceptance of their offer. As I pointed out to CJ it is not a good system.

    Anyway they helped get me approved for a couple of merchants I was interested in which was good. It's just the other things that annoyed me, not bothering to help with what I had initially requested which was to help obtain certain promotions for certain merchants, not continuing with an email conversation, not asking what I really want and making assumptions but worst of all contacting affiliate managers about our way of working even though I had requested they not after things had come back to normal. So they went ahead and messed up one of my best income sources. I can't go into the details unfortunately but it really was unnecessary. I'm sure It came down to them being more about greasing up to the merchant more than looking after the affiliate.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    CJ has reps..?? Do tell.


    What's the threshold for CJP..? I've been a 5-bar affiliate all year, and haven't heard a peep from anyone there.

    Mind you, having read this thread, maybe I'm better off staying under the radar..

  5. #5
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    $10k/month for CJP
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    $10k sales or commissions..?

  7. #7
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Commissions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2008
    Location
    London, UK. Innit!
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    CJ has reps..?? Do tell.


    What's the threshold for CJP..? I've been a 5-bar affiliate all year, and haven't heard a peep from anyone there.

    Mind you, having read this thread, maybe I'm better off staying under the radar..
    When you get close to becoming a CJP they assign you a rep to help get you over the last hurdle.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    I'm guessing when I'm close to $10k I won't need a rep to help me get over the last hurdle - I will already have the resources needed to implement changes & continue the strategy.

    The biggest challenge was turning this into a proper full-time business.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2010
    Posts
    81
    I agree the customer services side of CJ needs some restructuring, but then since they are the biggest, they feel they can do what they want

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Straight after I wrote this thread I was deleted from the special promotions from my appointed affiliate manager. I don't care at all as I was getting too many emails to read through. But it goes to show that they really seem to be on a mission to stop me making sales, not trying to help me.

    So the conclusion here is don't contact CJ if anything goes wrong. If it gets worse when you do contact them then don't complain about it on the affiliate forum. You should never use your affilaite name as your forum name I guess, this will teach me for being transparent. I should have hidden under some disguise so they would not be able to say it was me! No, I will not do this, I would rather expose these issues so they can improve their network, taking it out on me is very unfair.
    Last edited by glittered; October 21st, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  12. #12
    Member webaurora's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26th, 2007
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    So the conclusion here is don't contact CJ if anything goes wrong. If it gets worse when you do contact them then don't complain about it on the affiliate forum. You should never use your affilaite name as your forum name I guess, this will teach me for being transparent. I should have hidden under some disguise so they would not be able to say it was me! No, I will not do this, I would rather expose these issues so they can improve their network, taking it out on me is very unfair.
    This is stunning, aweful, incredible and so ridiculous... But after your post I don't believe in coincidences with CJ any more...
    In the beginning of my affiliate career I often joked that as soon as I open a ticket with CJ about whatever my sales stop. I joked and called it superstitious. But to avoid frustration with no sales because of such "coincidence" I soon learned that it is best not to contact CJ whatever happens. It took a while and I must have forgotten the lesson.

    I haven't mentioned in today's post Very Low Computer & Electronics Sales This October on CJ - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum that my sales stopped right after I had opened a ticket with CJ about... Sorry, have to take precautions and not to mention what the ticket was about to not get identified...

    Hey, folk, look around! It is disgusting and it stinks. And that is the biggest and most reputable affiliate network... That is our industry.

  13. #13
    Affiliate Manager jclaydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    Straight after I wrote this thread I was deleted from the special promotions from my appointed affiliate manager. I don't care at all as I was getting too many emails to read through. But it goes to show that they really seem to be on a mission to stop me making sales, not trying to help me.

    So the conclusion here is don't contact CJ if anything goes wrong. If it gets worse when you do contact them then don't complain about it on the affiliate forum. You should never use your affilaite name as your forum name I guess, this will teach me for being transparent. I should have hidden under some disguise so they would not be able to say it was me! No, I will not do this, I would rather expose these issues so they can improve their network, taking it out on me is very unfair.
    Maybe it was because you made a thread publicly saying talking to them was pointless and working with them was costing you money. They're apparently acting in your best interest by dropping communication with you, as that's what you asked for.

    CJ's publisher support teams are fantastic, and consistently help develop top performing affiliates. They have been instrumental in the success of hundreds of CJPs (Joshua can attest to that) and cultivate relationships with advertisers, negotiate commission rates on your behalf, are privilege to special offers etc. I can't see any reason why an affiliate wouldn't want to work with them.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by webaurora View Post
    In the beginning of my affiliate career I often joked that as soon as I open a ticket with CJ about whatever my sales stop. I joked and called it superstitious. But to avoid frustration with no sales because of such "coincidence" I soon learned that it is best not to contact CJ whatever happens. It took a while and I must have forgotten the lesson.
    I had that sort of thing happen to me once on anther network, sales would drop when I contacted them. I think it was just coincidence. Probably best not to think that way and it won't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    Maybe it was because you made a thread publicly saying talking to them was pointless and working with them was costing you money. They're apparently acting in your best interest by dropping communication with you, as that's what you asked for.

    CJ's publisher support teams are fantastic, and consistently help develop top performing affiliates. They have been instrumental in the success of hundreds of CJPs (Joshua can attest to that) and cultivate relationships with advertisers, negotiate commission rates on your behalf, are privilege to special offers etc. I can't see any reason why an affiliate wouldn't want to work with them.
    Well let me just say I have always wanted to work with them and I still do, I have and still spend a lot of time each day promoting their advertisers. But I like your condensed summary of my situation, unfortunately it isn't as simple as you make it out to be and I have been upfront and told the facts, no sugar coating here.

    As I had mentioned, I had contacted them as I wanted some advice/help with a very important issue as an advertiser did not seem to be keeping to an agreement. Instead of working with me and the advertiser the CJ people had talks with the advertiser and that concluded with ending a great revenue channel for me. It was not a small revenue channel either, I'm talking over 6 figures in last couple of years in commissions alone. Since I contacted them it is now around $5 per month so yes I had a good reason to be very annoyed, would you be? Anyway I was able to move on and forgive them for this huge mess and to be fair they did try to help by contacting other advertisers.

    So that was that and as I also explained which I don't think you have comprehended with your one sided view, (at least I was able to also see both some positive and negative things on both sides) I wanted to work with them and they were going to arrange a meeting with this advertiser. So I said yes that would be good, I waited anxiously for them to reply back and then they never bothered to contact me back. So that was a huge blow to me, not just because of the meeting but because I felt they let me down and never cared anymore to work with me.

    So I had no where to go, this is not front line support at the network so I had no one else to help me with this. Unfortunately there is no union as an affiliate, there is no support network, there is no organization you can turn to when you have been treated unfairly. Your on your own pal. All you have is an affiliate forum where you can voice your dissatisfaction but mostly no one will care and it seems the Network will punish you if you now also post on the forum. Most people will just think, well I hope it doesn't effect me as let's face it, it is a selfish industry.

    Gone are they days when people cared about been treated unfairly, parasites and cookie stealing problems, now days it's all about me and that is why you won't see too many people posting their view here unless it will effect them as they are too scared that the network will bully them anyway. This forum has long lost all the members who would stand up for their rights unfortunately.

    I also think CJ are a good network in many ways too and I have highlighted some of those things in my first post. It was extremely disappointing for me to have this happen as I thought I was at a high in my industry, I was making great sales, I was communicating with top people at CJ and suddenly everything changed overnight when I approached them. I have every damn right to be pissed whether you like it or not!

    Anyway, I must also now move on, I think I have said all that needs to be said. Let's hope they do the right thing and contact me and I get an apology or something but I won't hold my breath.
    Last edited by glittered; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    As I had mentioned, I had contacted them as I wanted some advice/help with a very important issue as an advertiser did not seem to be keeping to an agreement. Instead of working with me and the advertiser the CJ people had talks with the advertiser and that concluded with ending a great revenue channel for me. It was not a small revenue channel either, I'm talking over 6 figures in last couple of years in commissions alone.
    First of all, CJ makes money when publishers make money so they are incentivized to help publishers GROW their revenue. If this scenario played out like you described, there is only one answer for what happened here: you were doing something shady that violated the advertiser's T's & C's.

    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    So I had no where to go, this is not front line support at the network so I had no one else to help me with this. Unfortunately there is no union as an affiliate, there is no support network, there is no organization you can turn to when you have been treated unfairly. Your on your own pal.
    Yes, there is - the Performance Marketing Association. Check it out!

  16. #16
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Slexstarr View Post
    there is only one answer for what happened here: you were doing something shady that violated the advertiser's T's & C's.!
    Really bad form to accuse an established member with malfeasance. We know Glinted and have never had any reason to question his integrity. Who the hell are you and what gives you the right to point an accusatory finger AT ANYONE?

    There is so much wrong with your post that I could write a page pointing out your errors. However, I've made a pact with myself not to waste my time with one post wonders. If you don't work for CJ, do some research on CJ. They ain't the exactly the best examples of ethical behavior.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador 2busy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Tropical Mountaintop
    Posts
    5,636
    How incredibly rude. No, rematt..not you.

  18. #18
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Well I was hoping I would not have to post anymore here but I just want to say thanks to Rematt & 2busy. To Mr 1 poster Slexstarr, I had a written agreement with the advertiser on our arrangement so it was totally legit. In fact I had sent these emails from the advertiser to CJ to verify our arrangement.

    Slexstarr, would you mind writing something about yourself so we can know who you are as it is very suspicious to see someone with 1 post and signs up just to make accusations like this. I was talking about transparency in my earlier posts so please tell us more or do you have a reason for us not to know your identity?
    Last edited by glittered; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  19. #19
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Slexstarr View Post
    First of all, CJ makes money when publishers make money so they are incentivized to help publishers GROW their revenue. If this scenario played out like you described, there is only one answer for what happened here: you were doing something shady that violated the advertiser's T's & C's.



    Yes, there is - the Performance Marketing Association. Check it out!

    Who are you? Why would you make a baseless accusation like that? We don't need your kind here at ABW!

  20. #20
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Who are you? Why would you make a baseless accusation like that? We don't need your kind here at ABW!
    I always find it highly suspicious when a new user comes on-board for the (apparent) sole purpose of defending a merchant or network without declaring that they actually work for the merchant or network in question. And when that new "user" provides absolutely no background information to give us some kind of hint of why we should consider them the least bit credible, it just adds more fuel to those suspicions. But when this same new user attacks an established member during that post, I'm pretty much convinced that the new user is a shill. Add to that the fact that they're actually defending CJ and recommending the PMA as a watchdog IN THE SAME POST it's probably not too big a stretch to assume their bias goes beyond just being a fan of CJ.

    I have no clue who Slexstarr actually is, but I do have my suspicions. The individual that I have in mind has been a staunch supporter of CJ in the past and for some reason has a very strong loyalty to CJ. And that's fine, hell, there are people who worship the devil. However, Slexstarr, or whoever you are, you need to remove your blinders and start looking at things from both sides of the transaction. CJ is not the pillar of ethics that you would like us to think that they are. And perhaps the fact that you seem to think that they should be defended in spite of their track record may tell us something about your ethics (or lack thereof).

    But regardless of who you are, you have no credibility here. In fact, you've probably done more damage to your beloved CJ's reputation (if that's possible) than you've helped them. What you've done is made it appear that they are so indefensible that you need to create a persona to argue in their behalf. But as opposed to presenting a credible argument, you simply attack the OP. That's pretty pathetic...for any network.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  21. #21
    Affiliate Manager jclaydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    I had a written agreement with the advertiser on our arrangement so it was totally legit. In fact I had sent these emails from the advertiser to CJ to verify our arrangement.
    What was the agreement you had with the merchant? I can't understand why an Advertiser would walk away from a large revenue channel without proper cause. You said it was six figures in revenue for you, so that's likely 7 figures or more for the merchant, and probably 6 figures for CJ. There had to be some change in policy that was made.

    I'm just throwing out guesses here, but did they allow you to bid on TM+Coupon or use their display URL? Maybe some promotional method that is spelled out as not allowed in their T's and C's but the email from them said you were allowed to do?

    On your point on transparency, could you give a little more information if you truly believe that CJ is responsible for your relationship tanking with this merchant (who is the merchant by the way?). If it was an agreement you had with the Advertiser, I would guess they're probably much more to blame than CJ is in this case.

    I see a lot of threads in these forums (and so do lots of large Advertisers considering whether or not to launch affiliate programs) that condemn every major network but rarely provide any evidence to support their claims. Glinted, maybe you would like to change that trend?

    I support CJ because I believe they are far and away the best network out of the major 3, but I'll be the first person to call them out if they've done something wrong. They aren't perfect, but they are miles ahead of the competition.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

  22. #22
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    I always find it highly suspicious when a new user comes on-board for the (apparent) sole purpose of defending a merchant or network without declaring that they actually work for the merchant or network in question. And when that new "user" provides absolutely no background information to give us some kind of hint of why we should consider them the least bit credible, it just adds more fuel to those suspicions. But when this same new user attacks an established member during that post, I'm pretty much convinced that the new user is a shill. Add to that the fact that they're actually defending CJ and recommending the PMA as a watchdog IN THE SAME POST it's probably not too big a stretch to assume their bias goes beyond just being a fan of CJ.

    I have no clue who Slexstarr actually is, but I do have my suspicions. The individual that I have in mind has been a staunch supporter of CJ in the past and for some reason has a very strong loyalty to CJ. And that's fine, hell, there are people who worship the devil. However, Slexstarr, or whoever you are, you need to remove your blinders and start looking at things from both sides of the transaction. CJ is not the pillar of ethics that you would like us to think that they are. And perhaps the fact that you seem to think that they should be defended in spite of their track record may tell us something about your ethics (or lack thereof).

    But regardless of who you are, you have no credibility here. In fact, you've probably done more damage to your beloved CJ's reputation (if that's possible) than you've helped them. What you've done is made it appear that they are so indefensible that you need to create a persona to argue in their behalf. But as opposed to presenting a credible argument, you simply attack the OP. That's pretty pathetic...for any network.

    -rematt
    Well I have my suspicions also, obviously a marketer, I can tell by the writing method, someone that is defending CJ vigorously and someone that knows a bit about the affiliate industry. I would like to ask Slexstarr to show who they really are and let's have an open discussion, since they are so convinced then let's see some facts to back their statements up and tell us who they are, but we all know these type only posts once and never come back (under that disguise at least).

    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    What was the agreement you had with the merchant? I can't understand why an Advertiser would walk away from a large revenue channel without proper cause. You said it was six figures in revenue for you, so that's likely 7 figures or more for the merchant, and probably 6 figures for CJ. There had to be some change in policy that was made.

    I'm just throwing out guesses here, but did they allow you to bid on TM+Coupon or use their display URL? Maybe some promotional method that is spelled out as not allowed in their T's and C's but the email from them said you were allowed to do?
    Mr RealNetworks, as I have said I would like to move on now as I think I have already done my fair share of standing up for my rights as an affiliate but now you have pushed me into a corner I have no choice to play along with your game.

    I had my doubts to reply to Slezstarr that I should write anything as i had a feeling you or Slexstarr or whoever would use it to fuel more fire here and nit pick. But I will answer you anyway so I can assure others who are reading it, definitely not to please you as I should not even be replying to you after your initial slightly rude & confronting post. So let me be clear here.. I have never ever used any paid advertising, I'm 100% organic. I also keep to and respect any advertisers Terms & conditions. There was no change in policy and there was no bidding on TM+Coupon or anything regarding a display URL either. But hey, nice try and I like how you have rode off Slexstarr's comments & my reply to try to catch me out and justify your mission to prove me wrong and CJ as your idol as 100% pure and innocent.

    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    On your point on transparency, could you give a little more information if you truly believe that CJ is responsible for your relationship tanking with this merchant (who is the merchant by the way?). If it was an agreement you had with the Advertiser, I would guess they're probably much more to blame than CJ is in this case.
    .
    You really have a cheek don't you! I'm not sure what your real motive is here, trying to score extra recognition with CJ or something? How dare you ask me to be more transparent when your happy to support members like Slezstarr who sign up, make one accusing and dirty post, then leave without telling us absolutely anything about who they are. I don't see you asking them to be transparent, no you would have been totally in joy when they posted their nasty crap! I have been very transparent here without getting too personal as I respect individuals at CJ so I'm not going to start naming names or naming advertisers as I think they deserve some privacy unless they want to come here and reveal that information themselves.

    Yes you are right about the advertiser is more to blame in a way, let me be clear though, it is not the advertiser who has been the problem, it is the new young and wanna be big shot affiliate manager (we all know there are plenty of those around) . I would guess he has seen I was doing so well while his company has been losing sales since he came on board as AM. I know that his way of marketing and running their program has resulted in it been a 5 bar program, to I now see has dropped to 3 bars and falling daily since he destroyed the arrangement I had with the previous AM and I would also expect with other affiliates of theirs as I'm sure they would have been effected too but more so me as I was probably their best affiliate. That was until I contacted CJ and asked for their advice and support to help me.

    Also the advertiser was near the top in their industry when me and other affiliates were working with the previous AM, we had a good relationship so we were motivated to promote them hard. When the new AM came on he was nosy, wanted to know all about us, wanted to know how we work etc etc, all the details no affiliate wants to provide plus only caring about his own agenda to get promoted. So I became less and less motivated to promote them and this last year was no where near as good as previous years with the last AM. At that time the company was respected in the industry with lots of good affiliate pushing them, spreading word & mouth etc. But they also had some problems with their service/products which I even gave the new AM a letter to help them improve, He never replied back too damn arrogant to recognize their faults and try to improve. So less motivation for me there too. But sales continued and I still spend a fair bit of time promoting them but not as it was.

    Now I would suspect RetailMeNot as been their top affiliate since they don't have anymore hard working affiliates promoting them daily online, instead companies like RetailMeNot will now suck out all the commissions affiliates like me should have been getting. This is what CJ wanted and this is what they changed after I made them aware of the arrangement we had. That also explains why CJ don't give a damn about it as they know they will still get their share as RetailMeNot and other coupon sucking and cookie parasites will bring them income from this advertiser.

    I had an arrangement with the advertiser to use special promotion methods including coupon tracking, in fact they came to me and requested I do. I have the emails and I supplied those to CJ. I also gave them other supporting documentation to support everything, CJ requested and took all this documentation and never consulted me about what they would do. I was honest and upfront about everything and fully trusted CJ would help improve the now deteriorating relationship I was having with the new AM. I was seeing my sales drop so I contacted CJ earlier to see if they could tell me why the sales were dropping and if the advertiser was still keeping to the agreement we had? They said to me that they doubt the new affiliate manager would co-operate and work with me, it seemed he was changing somethings or not paying out on what I was due. By that time I had noticed my sales started to pick up a little so I told CJ to not worry about it for now and we would monitor it. They said they are going to proceed to contact the AM anyway and have discussions with them so they had no regard now for what I wanted. Over the next few days I watched as my sales dropped to almost zero once CJ had their talks and the new affiliate manager decided they were not going to continue our arrangement. They had dropped before that a bit but now I was getting basically nothing compared to a still respectable commission before CJ got involved.

    Yes the advertiser is in the wrong as they had not kept to the arrangement but it was their job to keep the new AM up to date with their arrangements, not me. I had asked CJ then that I be given some period of notice but I was given nothing so even though I had done considerable work to promote this advertiser, all that work was undone overnight and I was not able to get commissions for the promotional work I had done just because a new wannabe hot shot AM decided it.

    My mistake was to not go directly to the advertisers higher management in the first place. I should have contacted them and talk to them to remind them that I had helped push their brand and company to make big sales over the last few years. I did not want to speak to the new AM as I just didn't like dealing with him so that is why I thought I would contact my performance manager at CJ. Unfortunately they were to take a long holiday as well as not even responding to my email and that caused some confusions so I ended up dealing with their manager so it got a bit confused. The rest is history and how I explained it above.

    They even said they were in further discussions with the advertiser and would update me shortly, about 1 week later I emailed them to see how the update was going and they sounded surprised, saying something like "Oh, your still not worried about them are you and we thought you would have moved on by now". I think they think every affiliate can just replace an income source with another overnight. Well unless you have tons of targeted buying traffic then it's not that easy. They then came back to me after I said I was still interested to see if we can work it out and said they were going to arrange a 4 way call and asked me for my details etc to when we could have this. So I replied back with the details, 2 - 3 weeks later I still had not response back from them.

    On top of that as I have said it seems I have now been punished for discussing this on the forum by having my regular promotional emails stopped. So I think I have been open enough here.

    Let me be clear though, I have never done anything against any advertisers T & C. I'm sorry to disappoint you there. Let me remind you once again Mr RealNetworks, I didn't provide this information for you but I have provided it so others will understand the situation since you are desperately trying to prove that I'm in the wrong. I'm sure you will reply back with some more ways to try to catch me out but if I don't reply then don't take it personally as I want to enjoy my weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    I see a lot of threads in these forums (and so do lots of large Advertisers considering whether or not to launch affiliate programs) that condemn every major network but rarely provide any evidence to support their claims. Glinted, maybe you would like to change that trend?
    .
    I think I have provided more than enough for you to nit pick, how many other affiliate have you seen lately willing to take these types of issues on? Most affiliates, (not all) are too damn scared to say boo as they know the networks have power to do what they like. I have tried to explain my situation in a fair and honest way without doing anyone harm. I just want to express how I felt I was not treated fairly here. I have even said that I was able to move on past the issue of losing the income from the advertiser, what my main problem here is and why I started the thread was to highlight how inefficient the CJ management have been in dealing with my situation and how they cut communications even after they promised further discussions. In fact when this all happened they just brushed it off and said they have other advertisers for me to promote.

    I might not be dealing much with the advertiser in the future but my main concern is that I will probably have to deal with CJ again and from my perspective they need a lot of improvements in dealing with their clients, people like me!

    But MR RealNetowrks, you are on a mission to prove that I'm in the wrong while you are trying to steer this discussion away from the issue of the inefficient CJ communications to be about me and my way of working. I applaud you for your determination on trying to achieve that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    I support CJ because I believe they are far and away the best network out of the major 3, but I'll be the first person to call them out if they've done something wrong. They aren't perfect, but they are miles ahead of the competition.
    yes well you have made it very clear you love CJ, we all know that. I also think they are a good network overall in general and it was disappointing to have this happen to me as I think it was very unnecessary and they could of handled it a lot better and I told that to them directly too, so don't you worry about that.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Slexstarr View Post
    First of all, CJ makes money when publishers make money so they are incentivized to help publishers GROW their revenue. If this scenario played out like you described, there is only one answer for what happened here: you were doing something shady that violated the advertiser's T's & C's.



    Yes, there is - the Performance Marketing Association. Check it out!
    A simple Google search on your nickname shows you were in the running for CJ Publisher of the year, hence the CJ love

    And it's pointless going to the PMA since CJ is on the board of directors, so they're not going to do anything for glinted.

  24. #24
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Slexstarr View Post
    First of all, CJ makes money when publishers make money so they are incentivized to help publishers GROW their revenue. If this scenario played out like you described, there is only one answer for what happened here: you were doing something shady that violated the advertiser's T's & C's.



    Yes, there is - the Performance Marketing Association. Check it out!
    This isn't how I expected someone from your company to behave. Would be good for you to "start over" and apologize to glinted. You aren't hiding your identity very well if that is your intent.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  25. #25
    Affiliate Manager jclaydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    Post
    Thank you Glinted for sharing the finer details. However to me it seems like your grievance should be towards the Advertiser and possibly RetailMeNot if they were scraping your coupon codes.

    If I understand correctly, you had an agreement where the advertiser would credit you commissions from users making purchases with your specific coupon code regardless of the traffic source. That's a pretty sweet deal.

    If the new AM is not willing to continue this arrangement, I don't see how that is CJ's fault. It sounds like your account manager was trying to resolve the situation but the Advertiser is going in another direction with the program.

    It's obviously a complex situation, but I don't think blanket statements claiming CJ's publisher teams will ruin your campaigns if you work with them is a fair claim.

    - Jonathan
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Good, The Bad and .....maybe The Ugly
    By megatonloh in forum GoldenCAN
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
  2. BeFree - the good, the bad, and the ugly
    By e-Gazer in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
  3. Adsense - The Good, Bad and the Ugly
    By Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 15th, 2003, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •