Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My search traffic was in the toilet yesterday and has been steadily decreasing in the last week. What is going on with the search engines? My one ppc program is still up there so searches are still being done. These are not even data-base driven pages but unique in content. Are the major search engines declaring war on affiliate sites?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Is there another group more dedicated to PPCSE and SE spamming then the affiliate industry?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Cheesehead, take a deep breath! I've been letting myself get stressed out too, the last couple of weeks. Most of that stress comes from my confusion over what the SEs are doing, particularly Google. I've decided that there's no point in reacting to something I don't yet understand.

I have content sites, too. Those content sites have lots of contextually relevant sales pages. My traffic has been on a roller coaster for weeks, in part because I've added lots of new sales pages, in part because Google is in flux, in part because Yahoo seems to have finally woken up and realized my sales pages even exist.

My guess is that Google is experimenting with a new algo. I think Google has a basic idea of how it wants it to work, but it seems as if it's tweaking the details.

Yesterday was not wonderful. Somehow I managed to make a few bucks, but it was a bumpy ride. Traffic stunk. Today my traffic is much better. Is it Google? Have people in the southeast gotten their power turned back on after Charley's visit? Is there nothing much interesting programmed for the Olympics today? I dunno.

The only thing I can think to do is keep on keeping on. I've been reasonably successful with the methods I've used in the past so I'm just going to keep doing the same thing...and take *lots* of deep breaths!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd ignore any traffic/sales tankage for the next couple of weeks.

The Olymp*cs, Slaughterer of Sales and Distractor of the Masses, is on.

Then catch your breath for about 2-3 weeks afterwards, because then Election Season starts in earnest, and political uncertainty is horrid for sales, too.

The same pattern happened in 2000, the only thing that's changed is the size of the figures involved.

On the bright side, the sales came in great after 2000's election was finally decided. If I see the same relative rise in earnings between now and 2008, as I did between 2000 and now, I won't be complaining...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    I'd ignore any traffic/sales tankage for the next couple of weeks.

The Olymp*cs, Slaughterer of Sales and Distractor of the Masses, is on.

Then catch your breath for about 2-3 weeks afterwards, because then Election Season starts in earnest, and political uncertainty is horrid for sales, too.

The same pattern happened in 2000, the only thing that's changed is the size of the figures involved.

On the bright side, the sales came in great after 2000's election was finally decided. If I see the same relative rise in earnings between now and 2008, as I did between 2000 and now, I won't be complaining... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree,my sales are dragging,one thing is that too many merchants are dropping out, or swithching,like flies,the slow season usually is in August, back to school sales are low, as per the media, gas prices highest every,economy,jobs, all are part of the mix,I see where college grads are working the burger king route,Hopefully the election will turn things around,in 17 western states, they are hit with record breaking droughts, fires,not much sense in expecting high priced items to sell,and freebies don't bring many commissions,trying to have a good mix is what helped my Holiday in July last yera, but that was a year ago, this year, yuk.My nickles worth.Not much support from merchants either.
    JJ

Jersey jim5,

You say you agree, then produce a string of items that have nothing to do with the Olympics at all.

Which is it? Is it the Olympics, or is it all the other terrible things you think are gong on?

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    As far as the SE's go, remember, it is summer. Fewer people are surfing now than back in April. Thus, you should expect a slow down in traffic to your site if your SE rankings have been similar. Once late September arrives, though, your SE traffic should start to increase nicely.

As for sales, I'm not having problems this month, somewhat surprisingly. While one merchant is starting to die as it always does in mid August, other merchants are stepping up and doing well.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah.
    olympics and elections.
    Thanks.
    Phew!

I was already panicking and gobbling down bar after bar of chocolate.

It's not what I think,ABC and BBs news seems to feel the same way, glad I don't work for any of them, the games this year,seem to be more about security than the athletes,once it was for individual honors, it became political years ago, which country has the most medals, and beachball volley ball is really exciting.
    JJ

Don't panic, just stash your cash and forget those expensive cars, house, jewelry, exotic vacation, except the shoes gotta have the shoes! :-)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

The olympics are a good reason to stay home and watch tv, shop online! The election isn't going to have any affect on how much junk I buy but after the election it will be about time to shop for Christmas. The kids should be back in school and needing stuff. Things should be getting good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nova - Mrs. Happypoon:
    Don't panic, just stash your cash and forget those expensive cars, house, jewelry, exotic vacation, except the shoes gotta have the shoes! :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, forget the shoes...but there is always a new video game!

I am starting to think that the tiny silver zip-loc that google sent me was intended as a "money bag" for my new monthly earnings of the future!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Just keep your cheese tidbits in it! Isn't calcium supposed to be good for alleviating stress?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that silly spiral bound book. I've been thinking a parody might be fun, along the lines of "Affiliate Marketing for Idiots."

Hey Cheesehead, do you have RLS?

Yes, as a matter of fact I think I do (have RLS). At least that's what my family members think!

RLS a.k.a. known as "Restless Leg Syndrom" ... "an agitated inability to rest"

I've seen a big traffic drop over the past couple of days. There does seem to have been a minor Google update and I've lost a few places, but mostly I think it's down the the Olympics. Even sites with rock solid places in the SERPs have been down.

Still, keep building and tweaking. Make yourself a moving target and the Google gremlins will have a hard time getting you
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Cheesehead, here's a directory of sleep disorder centers in the US. Thought you might find it helpful. If you think you have RLS you should probably be tested for it, huh?

American Academy of Sleep Medicine

ABW Ambassador
    The Olympics, summer, fires, and weather may have some affect on your traffic, but I know google is making/made big changes. CheeseHead and Rhea are probably in the same boat I am loosing up to 80% of traffic on some but not all sites. If you are seeing fluctuations of 5%-10% then go watch the Olympics with everyone else and don’t worry about it. Otherwise you have been nailed by captain G.

It is bouncing back a little but not enough. I know big companies that have been affected and google does intend to keep some of these changes.

No one really knows yet what google is looking at; duplicate content, large sites, links in or out. Many sites have been affected in a big way and some have been left completely alone.

This is not a general dip due to Olympics, weather or the election. CheeseHead and Rhea are smart to keep cool and keep an eye on what is going on instead of throwing up loose ideas.

Whoa, Sid! I'm not losing that much traffic, thank goodness!

They are content sites after all, and traffic to those pages is just fine. Also there was an artificial hike in my traffic just before the "Big Dip" due to my having made a boatload of new pages and Google liking fresh pages so very much (well at least it used to was.)

We've all seen Google do some weird things in the last year or so. It'll probably continue to drive us crazy for all time. But the sky hasn't fallen yet, and the holiday season is coming, and that's something to be happy about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is not a general dip due to Olympics, weather or the election. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is!

I've done aff. marketing through 3 Olympics now (2000 summer, 2002 winter, and now)--and this ALWAYS happens. No way, did Google change its algo on the exact day the Games started all those times--and then change it BACK to normal precisely when the Olympics went off!

The algo change that did happen--that got people starting threads about it--happened last week, NOT at the start of the Games. Cheesehead said that on the 15th that his traffic was in the toilet "yesterday." It's no fluke that the 15th's "yesterday"--the day bad enough to warrant a thread about it--was the start of actual Olympic competitions (the 14th--opening ceremony on the 13th).

My experience says that it's as I posted. The other, algo-driven, destruction does not explain changes that only happened once the Olympics started.

Since there *was* an algo change, a week before they started, that will still be in effect once they end--but the Olympic Effect is very real, and not nearly as small as you suggest.

As for the election, I remember the 2000 election well. Sales were DEAD! And what did come in, was cheapo-commish stuff. Are you really going to try to tell me that the big traffic rise that came TWO DAYS AFTER the last court battle ended, was a timely fluke?! Or that Google "happened to" change their algo then?

You must have rare, TV-less visitors, if certain events don't yank them over to the idiot box like it's some kind of a black hole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CheeseHead and Rhea are smart to keep cool and keep an eye on what is going on instead of throwing up loose ideas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't you READ Cheesehead's first post??? Sheesh, he wondered if there was a "declared war" on affiliate sites! That's far from keeping cool.

As for that "loose ideas" jab--MY statements are based on EXPERIENCE.

But I thought everyone shopped from their computers at work? Traffic doesn't count, only sales do. So do you make most of your sales during average working hours or on nights and/or weekends?

Time will tell. I know there was a big hit on affiliates in the Spring for certain types of pages. It took me all Summer to recoop earnings and traffic to previous levels with a lot of work and pages. Hope this is just a temporary thing due to Olympics as some have mentioned.

Animal Lover
    Well, according to WordTracker the number 1 search term is 'Olympics'...

so I guess that says something.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Nobody could find anything olympic related to sell on their sites? It's not a disaster any more than a holiday and if you do it right you should profit. Like oscar said the number one term was olympics. I know there are all kinds of Olympic products available. I even own a few myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Nobody could find anything olympic related to sell on their sites? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

did and do...
    Ebudae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast