I am the latest person to have his site stolen. Somebody copied every file of my site, changed the logo and the references to the name of my site, and posted the site under their own domain name.

Here are the steps I have undertaken so far to fix the situtation. The illegal site is registered to somebody in China, so I'm not sure what, if any, legal recourse I actually have.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I sent a cease and desist email to every contact I could find for the illegal site. I have demand that the entire site be taken down and the files destroyed within 24 hours.
    <LI>Threatened legal action is site is not taken down, though I'm not really sure if I can follow through on this threat.
    <LI>Contacted the three affiliate programs displayed on the home page that I am not a part of. I've explained that the site is violation of my copyright, offered to provide any and all proof necessary to back-up my claim, and asked for immediate suspension of the illegal site from their affiliate programs.
    <LI>Contacted on the affiliate programs that I am a part of that is listed on the illegal site's home page. I've explained the situation and pointed out that if the illegal site is not an affiliate, then it is misusing the vendor's copyrighted material (an small ad in this case).[/list]

If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

It sounds like you've done all the right steps.

The domain registrar is a good one to contact if you haven't already.

Most networks have a clause that relates to copyright violations in their T&Cs, but networks can be slow to respond sometimes.

Even though the site is registered in China, it's quite likely to be operated by someone outside that country in the US/Europe where copyright laws *do* apply in a more meaninful sense.

You probably don't need to send a DMCA notice out to the search engines such as Google yet, but that certainly is an option.

Do you want to name and shame the copier?

Added: this happened to me about two weeks ago, and I lated discovered that it was a scam being run out of Romania where the copiers were creating fake auctions for goods and then using a ripped-off version of my site to look legitimate. Luckily they were hosted in the US so they got taken down quite quickly.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Domain registar is a good idea, thanks for suggesting it. They are shdomain.com and they are located in China.

Worse yet, the WHOIS information for both the illegal site and the domain registar are the same. Is there a central, international authority that I can contact about this?

Certainly, domain registars should not be allowed to blatantly copy other people's web sites.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Where is the Registrar based?

If you get them banned from SE's via a DCMA complaint, the fact that the pages still exist don't matter so much because hardly anyone will find them anyway.

If absolutely everything is based in China then I wonder if they're about to start spamming it out?

Regardless of where they are based, the money trail will generally end up in the US. From a practical point of view that means the merchants and networks they might be using.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Shut down all the money makers for them (aff links, adsense, etc) by reporting and they may simply abandon the site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I've contacted several of the affiliate programs listed on their site.

One I couldn't find a good email address for, however, was Ask Jeeves. Does anybody have an email for the affiliate manager over there?

TIA.

Follow up.

I received an email from the web site's host saying that they were suspending the site.

One thing that I learned and would like to pass on is getting the vendors involved. In this case, site was illegally using material from one my vendors on the web page. As a result, the vendor also sent a cease and desist email.

My advice is to be polite, but do everything possible to put pressure on the offending site.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Good, I am glad things worked out for you.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Good result

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread