Keyword SEO and the numbers.....dropped !
    I spent weeks SEOing my site and found pretty good keywords and insert them in. To my surprise my numbers of visitors actually dropped !. I might add that I changed my main keyword. Can you explain ?

Google indexes all words in page content
    Google does not use "keywords" although they show the keywords they find in the content of the page, in their Webmaster Tools. They seem to index every word on the page and use that data for their SERPs. Possibly it has to do with some other changes you made to your web pages, or, to changes in the algorithm Google uses. I have seen traffic drop off, tremendously, a couple of times, starting last December, due to changes Google has made and/or problems on their servers, neither of which I have any control over. Be patient and hopefully your traffic will increase. It is my belief that if you have keywords on a web page, there should be a maximum of three (3). GL
    Last edited by Lanny; September 21st, 2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: changed "the" to "their"

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Did you change the urls of any of the pages? Are the new changes being cached in Google yet?

Good call,
    Maybe the pages that were being indexed have a different URL now so it's almost like you just put up new pages.

Yes I did change
    Yes, I did change some of the pages URL's. Does google sees it as new site? should I be better going back to the old addresses?

Tough to say what will happen now. If your pages were indexed for those keywords before then it might take some time to get them indexed again. However if your new keyword and URL's are more relevant and seem to match your visitor better then i would leave them alone and see what happens.
    Also you should ask yourself how close the word are to your original words. Because if your finding more words that are close, but a little different then keep the original pages that are indexed and getting traffic already and add new pages with the new words on them if that's possible.

Affiliate Manager Electronic Cigarettes's Avatar
    I feel like the new google instant changed the SEO. We had the same issue with our sites, and our keywrods like electronic cigarettes and smokeless cigarettes. Smokeless cigarettes which we had the #1 spot for over 2 years dropped to spot 8.

Affiliate Manager
    Smile
    That also happened for a site I optimized, we discovered that our analytics was too high in the code and didn't always load. Perhaps, however, it was just your need to re-index! Hope it works out!

Affiliate Manager
    Also, maybe you can try 2minuteSEO.com, you can run a free scan on your website to see exactly which words you have optimized for on each page--it can be surprising sometimes!

There are several factors determinging why your numbers dropped, could be that a site you were linking to was penalised, search volume for your keyword might really have dropped (if the keyword was for a holiday season, and that season is over), or there are just too many competitors for that keyword

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread