Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have it from a good source (my fertile imaginaton) that Google intends taking over the affiliate industry.

Google's ultimate aim is for every click on every webpage to go through Google, where they will take a commission.

They have partially achieved this with Adwords and Adsense.

The next step is to extend Adwords to offer pay-per-conversion as well as pay-per-click to merchants.

Adwords already has a conversion tracking tool, so it is not rocket science to build pay-per-conversion into the Adwords/Adsense program.

This will hit existing affiliate networks such as CJ etc. hard so sell your shares now.

Merchants will be eager to try out Google for pay-per-conversion, and affiliates will need to rebalance the emphasis they give to Adsense ads.

It will be an interesting affiliate industry shake-up.

ABW Ambassador
    That is quite an imagination you have.

I have it from a good source Google will bump all affiliate sites carrying Adsense onto the top 10 pages, pushing the merchants pages who carry no Adsense, therefore making Google no money, off the SE radar, forcing them onto Adwords or paying more attention to their affiliates. It's what i imagine will happen.

I think Google will need to get its SERPs straightened out before it attempts to take on any more; the results have not exactly been stellar over the past few months.

It's an interesting theory, though.

Andy

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'd like to nominate this for the "Best Conspiracy Thread of 2004."

I have another conspiracy theory.. I think Google is trying to make money by selling good value advertising that generates high quality traffic, combined with trying to keep the search engine results spam free.

Unfortunately, sometimes Google counts my sites as spam. Maybe they *are* spam. This is not good for me or my income, but I don't think it's personal.

Sloth, although I don't like Google all the time, I don't think they're as devious as you think. I think with the status quo they do rather nicely out of affiliate marketing - I pay them about $1000 a month for advertising. I pay Overture $0 a month for advertising. Google wins.

I think the key thing is that Google want to protect the quality of their SERPs, because their business depends on it. If some people like you and me get squished on the way, it's not really Google's problem. It's a pain in the arse though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I think by the end of the year Microsoft will own all Google Stock and Yahoo will dump their Google Stock in exchange for no licensing fees

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Ah yes, I KNEW they were up to something when they sent all us adsense users those fabulous gifts!

What next, the world?

Good post! - should make for some startled searchers in a month or two when this post makes the SERPs!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The short of this is Google understands my sigline and means to make money from those wishing to to attract their volunteer user base to their sites. Nothing sinister there as they've never ever laid smoke and mirrors out in the SE consolidation game like Yahoo does at every move.

Nice to see one major WWW enity who isn't tied to the Adwhore mindset. They hate SE spammers. They hate BHO's. They hate deceptive SERPs. They love their loyal Googlers, who will continue to love them back, as long as they can put evermore value into each and every click through. My take is they do not want any part of becoming what we call an affiliate network. Too much there which has been a thorn in their side ...BHO's and professional SE spammers. They will continue to put out the welcome mat to shoppers, content developers and merchants.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Is Elvis involved in this, too?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes. All of this is facilitated by a nanotech based chip design cloned from one of Elvis's stem cells.

You poor saps........

Google is clearing away all the chaffe and rubish pure and simply to make room for all my new pages.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

OK, we've had a few quick laughs. But this is so close to being a real possibility, don't you think it's worth some serious consideration?

Here's my thought - my database generated pages don't make even a hundredth the commission they used to a few months back.

But thousands of pages inevitably will get some traffic, and that I monetize via Adsense. If Adsense evolves into pay-per-conversion, will I use the datafeed simply as a content generator to feed Google? If so, then the traffic will be going round in circles and, as I said, Google will get a slice each time round.

Someone come up with a better thought? (I know there's better to be had).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let me ponder over this conspiracy senerio. Google Gods buy into the fact that they need to further monitize the affiliate enabled merchants and their band of merry SE spammers. No since in fighting the last 15 month trend of one merchant arming 1000 affiliates with 20,000 page morrored feeds. Wow the power of 2 million SERP pages cranked out in a weekend. Google God asks staff how many affiliate enabled merchants are passing out these 2 million page cloned SERPs. OH...you say over 900 of them.

Great we have a base number of 1.8 billion cloned pages cranked out and updated inside of 20 minutes polluting our results. Lets figure out how to monitize this circle jerk as ABW sure says the feedfreeks ain't going away as they learn how to cookie stuff those pages and add 20 more disposable domains to their list adding to the stench. Let's turn the Google Adwords revenue machine up a notch. We'll force the merchant running the SERP circle jerk into a PPCSE bidding war with their own feedfreeks if we wack both of them in our SERPs.

"Oh Mr Google God, remember what you said about being a ethical SE right from jump street", asked a junior member. "Doesn't this remind you of what our competitors are doing to double dipp anyone using their SERPs." Wouldn't it just be easier and more ethical to look at what our loyal Googlers expect? Aren't they just asking for relivent choices when starting today's Web journey? Why not just whack those cloned 1.8 billion pages and send a bow shot across those SERP pirates ships as a warning? That might discourage that industries copycatters and it sure would clean up duplicate Google Serps." "Adwords is already profitable and growing in stature due to actually helping convert Googliers into buyers. No consumer outrage is being heard about Adwords click destinations if we continue to weed out the obvious PPCSE tricksters."

"Lets continue to evolve in a different direction from our SE competitors. The Adwhores still flock to us as #1 most effective converting PPCSE. Why not then just concentrate on the area that doesn't say "sponsored". Google God says ...give this man a raise and proceed as planned. Also who's this Gordo guy being such a thorn in the sides of our spam targets. Go troll is pages and throw him a bone till he turns to the darkside.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    There were rumors that Google was going to take over the affiliate space with Froogle since Froogle was a CJ affiliate. Don't know if they are still playing that game or not.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sloth, I'm a little confused. If Google isn't sending you much traffic, how do you expect to get revenue from AdSense ads?

AdSense is already suffering somewhat (it seems) from a phenomenon known as "sign blindness." People get so used to seeing a sign or ad that they cease noticing it. (Best example I can think of are X10 ads.) As soon as someone comes up with something newer that folks haven't seen a bazillion times before that will become the new darling of advertising.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, they have to do SOMETHING to make themselves worth 36billion.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Rhea - My content pages!

ABW Ambassador
    "Here's my thought - my database generated pages don't make even a hundredth the commission they used to a few months back."

Another conspiracy theory: Maybe Google is feed (fed) up.

Here is why this theory is not a reality. Do you remember when Yahoo.com was on top of the world? What mistake made them fall? Wasn't it when they decided to become an all in one portal? As soon as they did that they couldn't handle the load of work anymore. It took only a few months before google came along and built up in their wake. No company can be everything to everybody. It's too much responsibility. Technology no matter how goood is never going to be perfect. When google decides to take over the affiliate industry they will be too outstretched to work effectively for long durations. I don't doubt this is googles intention if they feel it can be done but when they do they will fall.

TN1 - I had database-generated pages on my site before the merchant even had a feed. Of course, when everyone else started up, the booty had to be shared. I think we all realize that.

Contgrats to the DB sites that are still succeeding. Either they are lucky, for the time being, or they've learned a trick the rest of us don't know. (Yet)

ABW Ambassador
    There's going to be the usual tweaks and stuff but I don't think really much will change with what you see the SE's producing in their SERPS. They're not as bad as a lot of affiliates claim them to be at least from the user perspective. A study that just came out found that 87% of users have a positive experience from the SE's and are finding what they're looking for. I never have a problem finding what i'm looking for. People are just getting smarter on how they search, being more specific, quotes, that kind of thing. People thought Google was going to take over the affiliate industry when Froogle first came on the scene, has had pretty much a zero affect. So with the user satisfaction very high, don't see them changing much, just tweaking it to try to make it a little better.

ABW Ambassador
    There's going to be the usual tweaks and stuff but I don't think really much will change with what you see the SE's producing in their SERPS. They're not as bad as a lot of affiliates claim them to be at least from the user perspective. A study that just came out found that 87% of users have a positive experience from the SE's and are finding what they're looking for. I never have a problem finding what i'm looking for. People are just getting smarter on how they search, being more specific, quotes, that kind of thing. People thought Google was going to take over the affiliate industry when Froogle first came on the scene, has had pretty much a zero affect. So with the user satisfaction very high, don't see them changing much, just tweaking it to try to make it a little better.

edit just saw this post:
    "TN1 - I had database-generated pages on my site before the merchant even had a feed. Of course, when everyone else started up, the booty had to be shared. I think we all realize that.
    Contgrats to the DB sites that are still succeeding. Either they are lucky, for the time being, or they've learned a trick the rest of us don't know. (Yet)"

I think the bigger problem is that there's just so much room on page 1. Not only are you competing with merchants for that space but with hundreds/thousands and growing number of affiliates with the same feed, so you need to do something with it, change some stuff, tweak it here and there. Some do this already and seem to be doing ok, i don't know. But i still see plenty of feeds sites in the index, they just might be getting pushed further and further down.

Just wanted to add about Froogle. They could have easily charged for that or became an affiliate and put their own stuff in there, they didn't. They could have done that, promoted the hell out of it which might have had an affect on affiliates pushing products.

And of course lurking in the weeds is the $70 Billion in cash Microsoft, waiting to squash the Yahoo - Google upstarts.

Actually, in the first couple of SE pages there will only be sites whose owners buy adwords.

Buy X amount of adwords, get a spot on page one for your choice of say 5 keywords, guaranteed.

He who owns the eyeballs makes the rules.

ABW Ambassador
    "And of course lurking in the weeds is the $70 Billion in cash Microsoft, waiting to squash the Yahoo - Google upstarts."

Not the case. MS has all that money but couldn't compete with TiVo, MS doesn't always win. And from an early look at their search, it was pretty horrible. They still have a lot of work to do.

"Actually, in the first couple of SE pages there will only be sites whose owners buy adwords.

Buy X amount of adwords, get a spot on page one for your choice of say 5 keywords, guaranteed."

Nope, more conspiracy theory.

"He who owns the eyeballs makes the rules."

The SE with the most relevant results wins. Google has shown that people will go out of there way for relevant results. People could just search at MSN or Yahoo where they have search and a bunch of other stuff, but people went over to Google where all there was, was search.

I get to choose the affiliate links that go on my site. Google allows the webmaster no control over ad content whatsoever. Until it does, Google has no prayer of replacing affiliate programs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast