MyrtleBeach.com goes for 6.5 mil
    A Grand Strand company has bought MyrtleBeach.com for $6.5 million, according to the seller, Skip Hoagland, who owns several geographically-named websites.

One phrase comes to mind: OMG!

Even though there is a tremendous tourism base there it will take a long while to amortize that investment.

I know the outfit that bought "Ocean City dot com" a few years back - for somewhere in the low 6-figure range. I've had lunch with the owner a couple of times this year. He figures he got a bargain. I concur.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think Bill bought it with petty cash.

I don't think it will take that long to get their money back. I say two years if that
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Unless all the associated domains listed in the footer of myrtlebeach were included in the price tag - the traffic stats myrtlebeach.com's (rank #25,362) Site Profile | Compete on the myrtle site does not justify the price tag.

I have many sites that beat the shit out of the traffic stats of myrtlebeach.com's (rank #25,362) Site Profile | Compete

ABW Ambassador
    It's a beach, it's ranks on page 1 Google for myrtle beach and there's all kinds of money for stuff like that. Hotels, vacation packages, house rentals, etc. High ticket stuff. Great .com, nice high exact match, nice myrtle beach + phrase volume. Domain itself worth a lot, I guess they got the site as well? which like I said, ranks great already in a very, very competitive market. Which helps with the price.

This is very, very good news for me actually, this sale.

There's more:

"Myrtle Beach-based Intellistrand LLC struck a deal with Hoagland that also gave him full ownership in about 10 sites in which the company previously held a 50 percent stake, Hoagland said. The websites include Honolulu.com, Baltimore.com, Wiliamsburg.com, ParkCity.com, Daytona.com and SouthCarolina.com......

Intellistrand has leased and managed MyrtleBeach.com for the past 10 years but previously paid a large percentage of the site's revenue to Hoagland, Butler said. The website generates millions of dollars in advertising revenue and that will now all go to Intellistrand, he said."

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/09/22...-millions.html

Confused on this part:
    "Myrtle Beach-based Intellistrand LLC struck a deal with Hoagland that also gave him full ownership in about 10 sites in which the company previously held a 50 percent stake, Hoagland said. The websites include Honolulu.com, Baltimore.com, Wiliamsburg.com, ParkCity.com, Daytona.com and SouthCarolina.com......"

Hoagland sold MyrtleBeach to that company but then he got full ownership on those 10 sites? Or did they mean the company also got those sites?

He got it

"Hoagland, founder of DomainsNewMedia.com LLC, told us that in exchange for MyrtleBeach.com Intellistrand gave him $6.5 million plus their 50% interest in several other major geodomain sites they had been operating jointly. That gives Hoagland full ownership of a group that includes Honolulu.com, Baltimore.com, Wiliamsburg.com, ParkCity.com, Daytona.com and SouthCarolina.com. Hoagland said the deal will also resolve some oustanding litigation between the two partners allowing them to move forward with their own wholly owned projects. "

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/low...s/20100920.htm

Great deal for him.
    Last edited by Trust; September 25th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a great deal for Hoagland. I don't know what the catch was ...

He got $6.5 million plus 50% remaining stake in 10 other great domain names... all for giving up one domain name .. with low traffic stats (per compete)

Either the buyer was ignorant or there is something else that I am missing completely here!

In terms of the domain value - one myrtlebeach.com has less value than 50% in 10 other great domains like honolulu.com or baltimore.com, etc. single phrase major city names!

I could understand the deal if $6.5 million was paid by Hoagland .. but the reverse seems quite a stunner on the face of it.

There must something at the back of this deal or the buyer was simply stupid!

ABW Ambassador
    "Either the buyer was ignorant or there is something else that I am missing completely here!"

What I bolded in my last post - The website generates millions of dollars in advertising revenue

And then - "Intellistrand has leased and managed MyrtleBeach.com for the past 10 years"

Millions in ad revenue and they're very familiar with the site since they leased and managed it the past 10 years, so they know exactly what they're getting. The numbers must have worked for them on their end. And looks like Skip got a great deal, 6.5 m and all those sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Skip was a great salesman, it seems, if he could generate millions of dollars in ad revenue out of a site that hardly has much traffic in either absolute terms or comparison to sites like tripadvisor.

Any case, thanks Trust for all your responses and pointers.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread