Any Chrome Browser gurus out there?
    Any of you out there consider yourselves to be Chrome Browser gurus? Or at least someone who likes Chrome and uses it a lot? I posted this information to another forum and got no takers at all. I really, REALLY would like to resolve my issue and use Chrome as my default browser. So here's my sordid little tale of woe with Chrome:

I decided last week to switch from Firefox to Chrome.

After using Chrome exclusively for two days, I found one major hang-up that brought me back to Firefox. (OK, maybe it wasn't MAJOR?) Here it is, and if anyone else has tackled this problem and solved it, I would appreciate it:

Most of my sites are on a VPS account. That account, as with most VPS, most resellers, and many dedicated server accounts, has a "self-signed" security certificate. That means I have the certificate issued to my VPS host installed and being sent out via my VPS account -- rather than paying $75+ per year for my own security certificate.

The result is, anytime I need to log into my cpanel for an individual domain on my VPS, or when I log into the VPS dashboard (WHM) itself -- Chrome gives me one of those "SOUND THE ALARM!! SOUND THE ALARM!!" bright red warnings to flee the site as untrustworthy.

OK -- in both IE8 AND in Firefox, there's a relatively simple way to allow an exception to the security certificate if I choose. At that point, the fearful warning screen permanently goes away, and I can log into my sites as I wish. PLUS, creating an exception like that lets me store the very long, convoluted site passwords in the standard Windows password manager that pops up when I log into the cpanel or WHM. That way I don't have to remember and re-enter that long password every time I go into a site.

BUT -- No matter what I've tried, Chrome will NOT let me set up a security certificate exception, not will Chrome save the password on a site that I can't create a security certificate exception for.

I've gone through about 3 hours of my time, two of my web host support people, and innumerable "Googling" -- and no matter what I do, Chrome won't cooperate.

Anyone??

Thanks.
    Last edited by writerguy; September 21st, 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: To correct some typos.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    I don't think Chrome is ready for prime time...

Firefox is giving me issues lately too, enough that I am trying Chrome more, but too much it doesn't do yet. I might even start using the dreaded IE again....
    Last edited by loxly; September 21st, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I don't think Chrome is ready for prime time...

Firefox is giving me issues lately too, enough that I am trying Chrome more, but too much it doesn't do yet. I might even start using the dreaded IE again....
    Yeah, I find Firefox seems to be noticeably slower than it used to be. It was always fast for me.

What I really like about Chrome is the speed. Plus, they have a pretty nifty sync feature if you're willing to entrust Google to store your bookmarks and basic settings on their servers. (Heck, Google already knows all about me anyway, so why not?)

But this inability to set up exceptions for the security certificates is really irritating to me. I managed a really awkward work around, but it involves about four different clicks and the use of the LastPass extension for Chrome. Ugh!
    Generate more fake news.

I know zip about Chrome, but two suggestions:
    For a security exception you may be able to look at the options in your Control Panel (on your computer) or change it in IE and hope that Chrome uses your overall settings?

One thing that slows down FF is if you have your cache set too big. I want to see a new page every time (for when I'm editing pages) so I set the browser to clear cache on every close and FF is running fine.

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, but I don't want to close FF as much as it wants me too...

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread