Deal of the Day website: real store or affiliate
    Hello there.

After some time managing affiliate websites, I want to try and venture into something new.

Think of Woot.com, but in a country where these kind of websites are not that popular yet (as the internet in general.... just little spend online now, but it's of course gonig to grow).

Now... what is your opinion about it? is it doable? organic or paid search won't help, since people are not used to search for "deal of the day". It would have to be social, offline, etc... and i foresee big spend for this kind of promotion.

Then the products... the website will be successful if the offers are great. to have great offers you'll have to make big deals with the business (ie. think of contacting the sales office of canon etc to get some of their overstock). But of course while the website is young you won't be able to sell out much of the stock... classic chicken and egg problem i guess.

My proposal for discussion is... what do you think are the risks of this kind of business, where do you see the easiest way to failure... has any of you tried something like that before ?

Sorry if it's the wrong forum, but i wouldn't know where else to post this!

waiting for your opinions!

I don't know if it is a true chicken and egg problem. When you start out you will probably only have access to a few items, and at the same time you will have an extremely limited number of clients. In the early days you might be extreemly happy to sell 5 or 10 items.

Here in the US stores like the 99 Cent store will sell one TV at 99 cents the day they open, along with some higher priced items for 99 cents to get people to stand in line and wait for the store to open.

If you have a good budget, I'd build out the website, get a line on some products, but for the first 20 days or so sell products that you bought your self - maybe even at a loss, to coincide with your launch PR.

Do something like Day 1, sell 1 iPod Shuffle (or another item that people in your area look favorably on) at 1/2 price at a random time (so people need to go to your website often to check if it is on sale) ($40 loss to you, but its a marketing cost), Day 2 sell 1 iPod nano at 1/2 price ($60 marketing cost), Day 3 sell four iPod Shuffles at $10 off ($40 marketing cost...), stepping up the discount to a point where you start making money .... by Day 20 you could have a following and sell real products.

This would need to go hand in hand with a very good marketing, and hopefully some local news coverage.

http and a telephoto
    alexloramer - please note that moderators are removing your signature, please don't add a manual signature to your posts.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    I don't know if it is a true chicken and egg problem. When you start out you will probably only have access to a few items, and at the same time you will have an extremely limited number of clients. In the early days you might be extreemly happy to sell 5 or 10 items.

Here in the US stores like the 99 Cent store will sell one TV at 99 cents the day they open, along with some higher priced items for 99 cents to get people to stand in line and wait for the store to open.

If you have a good budget, I'd build out the website, get a line on some products, but for the first 20 days or so sell products that you bought your self - maybe even at a loss, to coincide with your launch PR.

Do something like Day 1, sell 1 iPod Shuffle (or another item that people in your area look favorably on) at 1/2 price at a random time (so people need to go to your website often to check if it is on sale) ($40 loss to you, but its a marketing cost), Day 2 sell 1 iPod nano at 1/2 price ($60 marketing cost), Day 3 sell four iPod Shuffles at $10 off ($40 marketing cost...), stepping up the discount to a point where you start making money .... by Day 20 you could have a following and sell real products.

This would need to go hand in hand with a very good marketing, and hopefully some local news coverage.
    What an excellent strategy... one for my Internet Marketing resources.... now to go away and figure out how I can make use of it... hmm

thanks

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread