ABW Ambassador
    Have you ever got this welcome announcement from a merchant?
    ==================================================

Please note that if you decide to bid on keywords, I would prefer that affiliates NOT over bid Sheplers. Failure to comply may result in termination of affiliation.

===================================================

Carneol

I've not had an announcement exactly like that, but some merchants do end up in bidding wars with affiliates if they're not careful.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

I take it Sheplers is the merchant themselves? If that's the case I think it's reasonable. They could ban adwords altogether. If you are going to come in #2 in the adwords results you just need to come up with a killer sales line and you will get the clicks anyhow.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    FOr the most part, that AM is just concerned with his name in the bidding. He stated he was having some trouble with people bidding his name up at certain hours of the day then backing off.

Sheplers only pays 5%, but overall I am happy with them - they do not deal with parasites, and the AM actually returns e-mails.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    I thought that whole thing was a crock. They said that if you outbid them on any keyword that they would withhold commissions.

How dare they forbid anyone from bidding on non-trademarked keyphrases. How do we even know what keywords they bid on and for how much?

They did later say that they were most concerned with their own trademark, but the fact remains that they have an open threat to cancel commissions based on overbidding any keyword.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Like I said, I spoke with him directly, and unless you are bidding on 'Sheplers' or some convoluted version of it, he is not worried. He was just very frustrated because some affiliates were overbidding his name at odd hours, trying to acquire traffic that was already looking for his company, then reducing their bids during the day. My impression was that he got ticked off at those guys and just fired off an email without really considering the implications and wording.

They run a nice affiliate program, and I trust the guy.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    Well . . . it's apparently OBVIOUS who Sheplers should be sending their letters of discontent to:
    quote:
    Western Wear by Sheplers - The Largest in Western Boots, Western ...
    Western Wear by Sheplers -Western Wear for Work and Play.Western Jeans, Western
    Hats, Western Boots and Western Apparel for the whole family. Large selection. ...
    www.sheplers.com/home.cfm - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

Sheplers Western Wear - Win a Dodge Truck or Jeep
    ... Sheplers is giving away a new 2003 Dodge Truck or Jeep Wrangler. ... The contest winner
    is to pick up the vehicle in Wichita, KS at Sheplers headquarters. ...
    www.sheplers.com/giveaway2.cfm - 49k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.sheplers.com ]

Shepler's Mackinac Island Ferry
    Shepler's clean, comfortable passenger ferries zip you safely to Mackinac
    Island in just 16 minutes! You may choose from the cushioned ...
    www.sheplerswww.com/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Shepler's Mackinac Island Ferry
    ... City (Main Office): PO Box 250 Mackinaw City, MI 49701 Phone: 231-436-5023 Toll Free:
    800-828-6157 (US only) Fax: 231-436-7521 Email: sheplers@freeway.net. St. ...
    www.sheplerswww.com/contact.htm - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.sheplerswww.com ]

Sheplers
    Home / Index >>> Clothing >>> Sheplers. ... Hats, boots, jeans, wedding apparel,
    and everything else you need -Shop for Western Wear at Sheplers! ...
    www.theworkhorse.com/sheplers.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Phonedaymall - Global shopping leader
    ... RoC. Sally. Sepia. Sheplers. Shimmer. Shimmerandstone. Skechers. ... Brand : Sheplers.
    Sheplers. AUSSIE LEATHER HAT. 97,000 ?. Sheplers. SHERROD CRUSHABLE WOOL FELT
    HAT. ...
    www.phonedaymall.com/shop/ brandSearch.asp?brand=Sheplers&l_num=1 - 64k - Cached - Similar pages

Sheplers
    View All Jobs. Sheplers. Wichita, Kansas. Major Products/Services: Retail - Western
    Wear ... Description: Sheplers started as a single store in Wichita, back in 1946. ...
    www.nationjob.com/showcomp.cgi/shep.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Shop Sheplers.com
    Shop Sheplers.com. Home. The Mall. Shop by Category. Shopping Guides. Diversions. ... SeaBear.com.
    Sephora.com. Sharper Image. Sheplers.com. ShoeBuy.com. Shoes.com. ...
    www.wholelottashopping.com/sheplers_shop.htm - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

Sheplers coupon - best Sheplers coupon codes, Sheplers discount ...
    Sheplers coupon, Sheplers coupon code, Sheplers discount, Sheplers online
    coupon, Sheplers promotion. Sheplers coupon coupon discounts ...
    www.coupon-coupon.com/s_coupon/Sheplers_coupon.asp - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Sheplers Western Wear Buy Discount Sheplers Western Wear Online
    ... .. Sheplers Western Wear Buy Discount Sheplers Western Wear Online ... Sheplers
    Western Wear View All The Sheplers Western Wear all the style. ...
    www.shoesorbit.com/western/sheplers_western_wear.html - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

I also emailed the AM. As elbowcreek mentioned, he was frustrated with being outbid on his trademarked name (and variations).

Though admittedly his first email made it sound like you could not bid on any related term at all. No doubt he'd lose a lot of affiliates by making such an unreasonable request.

If he'd warn and then drop affiliates who are causing his frustration, the problem would be solved without making such wide reaching threats.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As always, the "obvious" probably isn't the "actual".

Those look like free Google listings 2 posts above. Chances are, someone doing well in Google's regular listings would NOT be the one bothering to outbid the merchant. I'd suspect that the culprit probably can't get a decent free listing, myself! People don't generally pay for what they can get "good enough" of for free, even at odd hours of the day and night.

As for the openness of the email, I'm not an affiliate of theirs so I didn't get it. But it would seem that it'd be strategic if the AM sent out a clarified version. I doubt many affiliates will bother to call in for clarification, and without it some affiliates may drop Shepler's unnecessarily!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread