Real Networks decided to start a petition to get Apple off of their backs...

It didn't work so well.

Story

Petition

Some people are down-right cruel...

CDC

Never start a fight unless you are sure of the outcome!

WOW!

I feel bad for real but in a way as an iPod owner I welcome more formats to the iPod. Those against it are just what I consider mac addicts who practice steve jobsism

ABW Ambassador
    That is great. Real, really has been such pieces of shit for so long, I am not surprised by the reaction.

Chet

This isn't a good thing this is terrible. All they are doing is making it so their music can be played on ipod. Apple would have no case if it sued.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The incident was the latest dust-up around Harmony, a new technology from RealNetworks that allows playing tunes bought from its online-music service on a variety of devices, including the iPod. Apple, which didn't authorize Harmony, has threatened to sue RealNetworks over it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I the only person that's noticed Apple/Mac lovers always seem to have a chip on their shoulder? The whole print publishing industry insists on mac computers because they believe it has better graphics which is totally bullsh*t. They use the same exact technology today so why spend 5 times more money for a mac than a pc.

They cry because they can't get tech support and insist they know everything. I worked in a support department and always wondered why they would even call since they are all engineers and phd's.

ABW Ambassador
    I've no love for Real. Caught a nasty spyware infestation trying to close one of their ads and inadvertantly opened my computer to a download. When I found they were pimping Gator, I switched to WinAmp & Windows Media Player. Bastards deserve whatever bad publicity they get. Wish I could have added my comments to their boards.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder, Apple would have a very solid case. You are no longer allowed to backward engineer software to escape its protection, that is now against the law.

Chet

Well I don't know much about it all. It just seemed a little excessive when I read those posts.

ABW Ambassador
    ABW --

I used to work for Real Networks as a contract programmer in 1997 when they were still relatively new (only a couple years old). I was working on their RealServer (streaming media server) on their credit card gateway (this was before you had Internet based processing companies).

They were a company that had built a name for themselves by licensing essentially free codecs (like MPEG-2 and MPEG-4) and recognizing that the Internet could be wonderful for distributing content online. They made a crappy player but since they were the first mover, they did pretty well.

It wasn't such a bad company then. Granted, they had just gone public and every damn hallway conversation was about the damn stock price, which was trading a huge multiples of revenue (no earnings ratio since they were unprofitable). I was a contractor and didn't get any shares, but I would have been enormously rich on paper, and by the time I vested they would have been completely worthless so thank god I didn't get them or I might have stuck around for that letdown!

Shareless, I moved on in 1997, but when the boom happened a few years later, I thought for sure Real was a goner.

Surprisingly, they survived but really only due the the fact that spyware saved their ass by allowing wall street to see enough revenue to continue keeping them listed on NASDAQ.

Really quite the quandry for Rob Glaser: piss off legions of users that were previously supportive by hijacking their computer with spyware, or go out of business for lack of ability to build a new business model as the "burn rate" business model went extinct.

Then MusicNet came along. Glaser wanted to build iTunes YEARS ago but the studios resisted big time. MusicNet was a huge compromise that was very bad value for the consumers. Then came Napster/Kazaa and the studios realized they better get on with it and offer MP3s for a fee for quick.

However, Glaser burned so many bridges when he was trying to build MusicNet he was locked out long enough for Jobs to get the upper hand.

At this point, the only thing Real has is a name people recognize. Too bad they recognize it now with Spyware, crappy software media players, and coming way too late to the music download game after years of misfires on DRMized downloads.

That's interesting Andrew.. I didn't realise how close they came to going under.

Crapware is right - Real comes with so much complete shite that you don't have an option to not install. I don't have it installed on any PC anywhere, even if that means I can't view Real media files, it's a small price to pay for being free of crapware.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can't you see the correlation download=Adware RealNetworks and Creative Labs built spyware/adware right into their OEM software and shoved it upon every system manufactured by certain vendors. Creative Labs was even worse as a sound card mfgr. Huge backlash by the computer dealers having this crapware on their install CD's causing service problems and enduser complaints.

Screw the Adwhores at RealNetworks as Apple has no recourse in trying to sleeze up their music download business. The Apple OS isn't targeted by the spyware/adware perps so that niche' if kept by Apple is clean by default. RealNetworks is destined again for F*ckedcompany's Hall of Fame as a delayed .com bomb.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

You're right about Creative Labs.. the first time I installed ZoneAlarm on my last PC, it popped up saying that such-and-such a program wanted to access the Internet. Never heard of it, so I Googled and found that it was a nasty spyware app buried in with the Creative drivers.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread