Merchant Asking Affiliates to Help Find Affiliates
    I received an email from a merchant who is opening up their affiliate program to schools, from grade school to universities & "If you have kids at a particular school or know any schools that might be interested, please help us spread the word about our Blah, Blah, Blah School program."

They aren't offering a two-tier program where current affiliates can get a percentage...just help them get more affiliates. They will give a "percentage of their sales at to providing eco-friendly school supplies to schools in need" as well as providing schools with a fundraising channel.

Ummm, I know it's a noble endeavor, but why ask affiliates to promote their "charitable cause" & help them find new affiliates for free? The last I checked, I can't deduct sales lost to competitors on my IRS return. Or am I being too harsh?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I think it's tacky for merchants to ask affiliates to promote anything that they don't get compensated for, whether that's newsletter signups, datafeeds that include non-commissionable items, banners that go to non-commissionable sections of the site, or asking affiliates to recruit other affiliates when there's not a two-tier program.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    A lot of merchants don't "get it". These are probably the same ones that will ask affiliates for a backlink to help their SEO...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've noticed, not only in the affiliate world, that companies are aligning themselves with charities for the "tug at the heart" factor—something to help tip a sale in their favor. Some may be truly helping, but pulling out the 'ol checkbook ensures more $ go to the charity (but check with Charity Navigator first).

I didn't bother responding to the merchant...it's too hard to break through the narcissism of "do-gooders."
    Renée

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I agree with Michael, it just is tacky for Merchants to ask affiliates to help them for free. Reading messages like that make me feel less likely to advertise for them.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I will help them get some more affiliates after the AM helps me re-roof my house. And it is a tear-off job first by the way!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Oops, I meant "do-gooders who are actually lining their own pockets." Yep, I'm looking for a replacement.

Would the network consider this as a spam e-mail by the merchant as they're advertising an affiliate program that has nothing to do with current affiliates—or the network?

P.S.- just sent an email to the network, we'll see.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; September 30th, 2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
    Renée

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I will help them get some more affiliates after the AM helps me re-roof my house. And it is a tear-off job first by the way!
    LOL that would be a great reply "I'll do this for you if you do this for me..". I bet if they even replied to you they would say "You can't be serious". Then you could say you had the same thought about their email.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Just received a response from Brian/SAS that this email was "definitely not appropriate" & he will have a chat with the merchant.

Cheesehead: Make sure you rent the biggest dumpster for your old roof—you know how that roofing garbage piles up!
    Renée

I think it's well known that many super affiliates do a good cause, because there are aware that they can make double in one endeavour in a year getting publicity for a good cause than from their other channels

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread