ABW Ambassador
    How Big is Too Big?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    We had 4,125 in January 2010 and we expect 4,500 to 5,000 in January 2011.
    At what size, we say it is getting too large.

I think you should chop off many of those "CPA" networks with odd ball booth babes acting like shills.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    At what size, we say it is getting too large.

I think you should chop off many of those "CPA" networks with odd ball booth babes acting like shills.
    Please share on what grounds you would suggest we should ban people?
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

ABW Ambassador
    That could be complicated. Some suggestions -

Put a hard cap on various sign ups of the total.

a) Primarily CPS Affiliates
    b) Primarily CPA Affiliates
    c) Primarily CPS Merchants
    d) Primarily CPA Merchants
    e) Primarily CPS Network
    f) Primarily CPA Network
    g) Miscellaenous - Bloggers / Journalists / Speakers yada yada

IMO, the crowd at Affiliate Summit is becoming TOO BIG and TOO CPA focused.

I just came back from CJU in beautiful Santa Barabara (I love the town!) and I was amazed at the quality of show even though I have been a regular to CJU for the past 4 or 5 years in a row. The quality of the show, right size of the crowd (approx. 850) and the backdrop of beautiful coast surrounded by mountains.

That could be complicated. Some suggestions -

Put a hard cap on various sign ups of the total.

a) Primarily CPS Affiliates
    b) Primarily CPA Affiliates
    c) Primarily CPS Merchants
    d) Primarily CPA Merchants
    e) Primarily CPS Network
    f) Primarily CPA Network
    g) Miscellaenous - Bloggers / Journalists / Speakers yada yada

IMO, the crowd at Affiliate Summit is becoming TOO BIG and TOO CPA focused.

I just came back from CJU in beautiful Santa Barabara (I love the town!) and I was amazed at the quality of show even though I have been a regular to CJU for the past 4 or 5 years in a row. The quality of the show, right size of the crowd (approx. 850) and the backdrop of beautiful coast surrounded by mountains.
    Thanks, but I think we'll leave that Utopian formula for our competition.

CJ does a great job with CJU, and it's a wholly different event from Affiliate Summit.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    Thanks, but I think we'll leave that Utopian formula for our competition.
    Yeah .. an expected response!.
    I know your eyeballs were set on growing the attendance without any regard to the quality of attendees or networks!!.
    While Aff Summit is a great show and I will likely continue to attend, I personally hate seeing more than 70% of CPA networks and scammers filling the halls there

Yeah .. an expected response!.
    I know your eyeballs were set on growing the attendance without any regard to the quality of attendees or networks!!.
    While Aff Summit is a great show and I will likely continue to attend, I personally hate seeing more than 70% of CPA networks and scammers filling the halls there
    With all due respect, you made a very impractical recommendation for this type of business, but thank you for your feedback.

Our focus is all about quality, and we had misgivings when we thought we might be getting too big back when we hit 550 people in 2005.

Then we realized it's a wonderful blessing to open up our minds about who belonged there. Some people didn't like to see more people from search, social, and other segments, either.

Heck, some retailers think coupon sites are the devil.

But from the start, we've worked tirelessly to make Affiliate Summit the best it could be. We realize we can't please everybody, but we'll continue to try.

Shawn it's nice to see a voice of reason posting here again. The old administration here would have been instigating a mob to burn you at the stake.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Or put them all in the same aisle so less walking around for me

RedTag,

There was a time when I would have just blindly said "ditto"

The price to a merchant to get a primo booth, hire booth babes, pay to have their staff there, buy swag, host a party... is a years salary for some people

The only way they can pull that off is if they are profitable

The only way they can be profitable is if they fill a need

Also, assuming your definition of Affiliate Marketing is CJ, Linkshare, GAN... then CPA Networks sprang up to fill a void that these Networks have yet to fill.... something as simple as a HUMAN contact at the Network.

As long as the Big 3 leave a void, there will be companies ready to fill it.

IMO, they have every right to be there.

All My Best,
    Billy

ABW Ambassador
    Shawn, my suggestion might be impractical for you to consider/implement. But I made a point for you to look into "quantity vs. quality" aspect of the Aff Summit. I understand, no conference can please 100% of its attendance, but that cannot be the end of discussions.

On some/few retailers perception of coupon sites, yes they can choose not to work with any coupon sites. That's just fine!. But you should know that out of 10000s of merchants we work with, hardly a handful can't find a real way to work with us in some capacity or other. If the consumers want coupons (growing percent of consumers these days) and some retailers have reasons not to provide them same, that's their business call!.

If you're in case bombarded with many attendees seeking a cap/limit on number of couponers attending the conference, you should consider that as well. I do not want to see a conference full of couponers too at the Summit.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post

The price to a merchant to get a primo booth, hire booth babes, pay to have their staff there, buy swag, host a party... is a years salary for some people
    Billy, I understand how much it costs to host a booth at the Summit or fork out a sponsorship. Shawn does not run a charity. He charges big bucks and that's the way it should be ..!. Well, I guess that's fine if Aff. Summit is a show of who can throw more money into the conference or Shawn's coffers. But I thought Shawn or Aff Summit could be much better than that.

Any case, this is my last post on this topic. I think I said more than enough and I don't have anything more to rant on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post
    Or put them all in the same aisle so less walking around for me
    I totally agree with this suggestion. It's probably not possible for ASW11 since advertisers have already picked their booth/table locations, but maybe for a future show. I would love to see the meet market and exhibit mall grouped so I only have to go to the areas that I'm interested in. If I'm a merchant and have no interest in visiting other merchant tables, I can skip that area. If I'm a CPA affiliate and I have no interest in CPS networks and merchants, I can skip those. If I'm a CPS affiliate, I can skip the CPA sections.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread