Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    A product manufacturer who shall remain nameless is using doorway pages. It looks like they fired up wordtracker for search terms relating to various related products, took the keyword list, ran it through a mill which did Yahoo searches, scraped the first 30 results to an "optimised" page and set this up with a Meta redirect to the front page, then interlinked the living crap out of it with all the other doorways.

There are hundreds of these under this domain.

The product in question was related to my search in the same way that a blender is related to a fork.

I reported them to Google. I'm sure others have done the same.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice catch weisenator. Now take it to the next level and OUT the bugger right here so ABW can discuss this cookie stuffing SERP spamming trick. Leave it as it is and the lurkers here will take the copycat trickster route with their hord of disposable domains right in time for the Holidays.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    That's just it, they aren't cookie stuffers. They aren't even affiliates.

This is the actual product manufacturer, using doorway pages under their own domain.

I want to know who advised the manufacturer to follow this practice, and out THAT GROUP.

I can see the SEO pitchman using some Dilbert-esque corpspeak about "Congruent SERP Matching", telling the manufacturer about the traffic windfall they'll generate.

Anywho, the lack of sales for this manufacturer can easily be traced to the lone "buy" link... buried under 4 printed pages of HTML on the front page.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Oh an ABW lurker picking up SE spam tips as a merchant to cheap to pay the affiliate lurkers here to do the same. Still out the bugger as once those doorway domains get PRO'd they will start an affiliate program. Damn shame TD started all this with spammy management websites.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    They already have an affiliate program.

I know a few of the site submission software programs like "Web Position Gold" actually build doorway pages for you but I got banned from Google two years or so back for using it just to submit my sites. I did not use the doorway pages section God knows what google would have done had they found me using that as well.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    I know a few of the site submission software programs like "Web Position Gold" actually build doorway pages for you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Does it leave behind a breadcrumb trail? Any meta tags saying it was autogenerated, etc.?

ABW Ambassador
    Nevermind, I just checked the cache. Nothing left behind that I can see.

Dumb question, I have seen several examples of what a doorway page actually is here in ABW. Anyone here have a "technical definition" of what a doorway page does? Is it a regular page, or is it a script, or what?

They using a meta redirect or the mouseover redirect?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't find a "Meta redirect" or much of a script in the cache.

I think this one uses a bit of cloaking on the server-side.

It sounds like one of the traffic power pages that redirects when you mouse over it. But very hard to view the source on those, they move so fast.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:
    But very hard to view the source on those, they move so fast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I found the site through a search. I used google's cache to find anything out of the ordinary, and nothing. Clicking the link through Google does nothing but take me to the site's root.

It's server-side, with a cloak to hide the redirect from Google.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dak142:
    Dumb question, I have seen several examples of what a doorway page actually is here in ABW. Anyone here have a "technical definition" of what a doorway page does? Is it a regular page, or is it a script, or what? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not dumb at all. It's a loose definition at best. Normally it means a page is set up in an extremely spammy fashion in order to fool the search engines into thinking that page is about a certain keyword. Then when you supposedly get traffic you redirect the real visitors to your site. The blender and fork remark sums it up from there.

ABW Ambassador
    I had one of my own merchant partners do this for a while. Not only did I still beat them in the SERPS's, but they ended up PR0 for a bit, although they weren't kicked out of the index.

I still think they are doing it to a limited extent, too.

Doorway pages and doorway sites are pure play BlackHat SEO/SEM spam tools with one purpose in mind...deceiving the SERPs. The pages show one thing to the SE bots and they don't show a damn thing to the deceived shopper. They auto re-direct to the merchants site and some set multiple pop-unders also setting cookies to competing merchants in 1x1 pixels and offscreen non viewable iFrames.

These sh*itheel tricksters should all be OUTED publicly here if ABWers have any Santa balls. We need to throw down the gauntlet and declare war on the sleezebag Tricks for Cookie setting Clicks crowd. If some merchant blackHat SEO/SEM shows up OUT those bast*rds too as those crummy merchants or posers will show up on some 3rd world affiliate network in various guises.

WebMaster Mike & Charlie are calling on ABWers to better the networks newly revised CoC bow shot to sleazy affiliate practitioners that set cookies without a physical click. Let them go after the BHO perps while this group actively goes after the cookie stuffing Perp-e-Traitors right in our midsts.

Doesn't ABW have all the informal agreed to "Best Practices" down pat after 3 years and 200,000 discussions??? Isn't it about time we threw out the two faced nature of this board where the tricksters deflect the OUTINGS to the friggin BHO's while practicing BlackHat cookie stuffing schemes on our very best merchants???

I'm calling on Haiko, who nicely published his "WTF" State of the Affiliate Union message earlier this week. Now IS the time to pull the weeds out of the domain bound affiliate group and expose those roots sunk deep into cesspool of affiliate greed. None of those activities benefit any merchant and come from eyeball/cookie hijackers. ABW needs to publish and enforce their own CoC and best practices policy. Open up a "Hall of Shame" section just for that purpose and invite the SE blackhat/cookie stuffers into the debate before the Holiday season kicks off.

BONUS: Every Outed tricks for clicks player who caves in and goes straight automatically puts that stolen conmission and traffic back into the legit affiliate pool.

ABW Ambassador

Thanks for kicking this into gear weisenator

http://gorillawebsitemarketing.com/

I'll Show You How To Get ANY Website To The Top Of The Search Engines For ANY Keyword...
    And Before We Even Start
    I'll Prove It With My Own Results!

Go Take a look at what I've done for my own website! But before you check them out...Promise yourself that you will take the ACTION necessary to get the same results for your own website!
    Web Site
    www.5starshine.com Search Engine Position for
    term=car wax
    Note - I do not pay a dime for any of these rankings. In other words, they are not "sponsored" listings.

Google #1
    Aol #1
    Lycos #1
    Netscape #2

Another traffic building info peddler hawking his 50% off eBook at only $67.

5 Star Technologies
    6936 Turnberry Circle
    Navarre, FL 32566
    US

Domain Name: 5STARSHINE.COM

Administrative Contact -
    Glenn Canady - glenn.canady@gorillawebsitemarketing.com
    5 Star Technologies
    6936 Turnberry Circle
    Navarre, FL 32566
    US
    Phone - 866-395-7827
    Fax - 866-281-3315
    Technical Contact -
    Glenn Canady - glenn.canady@gorillawebsitemarketing.com
    5 Star Technologies
    6936 Turnberry Circle
    Navarre, FL 32566
    US
    Phone - 866-395-7827
    Fax - 866-281-3315

Record update date - 2003-03-04 18:46:38
    Record create date - 2001-07-10
    Record will expire on - 2006-07-10
    Database last updated on - 2004-08-19 10:18:07 EST

Real friggin role model for those seeking BlackHat SE tricks , how to spam in 10 easy lessons, and how to con merchants out of their commission offerings without any work are soon to be offered in eBook format!

ABW Ambassador
    You must have read that "WTF Thread" to mean that there are NO RULES!

Member Identity or URL Exposing

Any member who posts another member's url or urls to their site(s), their real name or other personal information without the owners prior approval, shall immediately be banned.

I didn't know they are a member? They are not an affiliate...

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    I didn't know they are a member? They are not an affiliate...

Fred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, but they have an affiliate program.

Yeah, I think I goofed.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Mike, thanks for providing all the lurkers who don't want to have to w*rk and don't how to technically implement this technique easy access to the information. They have to do even less w*rk now.

weisinator, I've had members bring this kind of stuff to me in the past. There are numerous methods of doing this kind of thing and folks coming up with new methods all the time. In the past what I've done is documented as much as I could and provided google with that documentation at well as outlining how they were doing it. The response I received from google was a huge thank-you stating that they wished that's the type of info they got all the time. The sheer volume of spam complaints they receive really don't allow them to remove sites on a case by case basis. What they have to look at is how people are technically doing the spamming and then working that into their own technology. The more detailed information they receive the faster things can happen to keep this kind of stuff out their index.

Wow! Does this ever ring a bell.

Two days ago I was at an ezine directory and searched for a specific subject matter for ezines.

It said there were two that covered that topic.

The first one was bona fide (and I did indeed subscribe) and the second was for the guerilla marketing site. I kept scratching my head as to how in the heck that related to my search.

Now it all makes sense.

Excuse me for living up to my reputation as the Masterbaiter Ms.B. Sorry I landed you in that last baited hook. Heck you have one of the secret decoder rings and even have interpreted for all here some of my posts.

My point for showing to those here what this wank is broadcasting to the world via spam lists, multiple doorway web sites, eBooks and all forms of Gorilla marketing can't be swept under the carpet. It won't go away or negate the friggin copycats from finding these tricks for clicks guide in a one minute Google search. Denial or hiding his existance and techniques won't stop the practice and OUTINGs of this type of pond scum is the immediate impact answer. The rats don't want spotlights and the wannbee rats will grow in numbers if they can operate in stealth mode.

Great work outing the procedures to the Google group Ms. B. They'll even take more direct action to whack the SE tricksters when your actions are duplicated by other legit concerned ABWers. Stealth mode and private discussion of BHO parasites during the inspection documentation process is a given. This doesn't apply to the thousands of cookie stuffers, doorway page builders, who can only be spotted with everyday Googling by 15,000 ABW members. Publically OUT the buggers and make room in those SERPs.

Just remember the thread earlier this week on the hidden partnership of Zango with a well known free game site for the kiddie targets. Within hours of the OUTINGS the ABWers, who were parents, took my bait and raised holy hell for those Adwhores targeting children for their infestation routines. Before sunset 48 hours later that whole infection segment was put on high alert and are taking CYOB moves if they offer free games to kids. Taking that OUTING to the media should be the next step as they'll headline it on all the cable News channels.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Doorway pages and doorway sites are pure play BlackHat SEO/SEM spam tools with one purpose in mind...deceiving the SERPs. The pages show one thing to the SE bots and they don't show a damn thing to the deceived shopper. They auto re-direct to the merchants site and some set multiple pop-unders also setting cookies to competing merchants in 1x1 pixels and offscreen non viewable iFrames. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for accuracy: Mike's description is for cloaked, black-hat doorway pages. It does NOT describe all types of pages which sometimes are referred to as "doorways." Sometimes a "doorway" is simply an SEO'd page used when the site's normal front page has subpar SEO--for instance, if it's optimized for CompanyName so much that nobody can see what the heck the site's really about.

IMO, we should be careful about narrowing the definitions of words which are in common usage around the net. It will only cause unneeded misunderstanding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want to know who advised the manufacturer to follow this practice, and out THAT GROUP.~Weisinator
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It sounds like one of the traffic power pages ~Jane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been reading about that place on some SEO boards. For those that don't know, it sounds like they suckered in a lot of businesses! Some of the companies had great ranks on some keywords--UNTIL they let that mega-blackhat spammer talk them into signing up for their services to get "massive" traffic on even more keywords. Then it was CARNAGE in the SERPs as Google went on a rampage with the Ban Button.

Sicker yet, last I read, Traffic No-Power was STILL running their pitch by unsuspecting suckers, and telling the peeved-off customers that they weren't banned at all--Google was just "reindexing!"
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast