Are Credit Card Bonus Malls Hurting Affiliates
    Just curious what you guys think? I find myself more and more using my Amex Bonus Mall or MasterCard Bonus mall to earn those points and cash backs.

I also hear more and more people talking about them. What do you guys think?

I have a credit union Visa card that offers points towards merchandise they've selected or travel, the card does not offer cash back.

I don't feel that the merchandise offered via their "points program" competes with the merchandise advertised by affiliates because affiliates can offer a broader range of items. If anything the points program is an incentive to use the credit card because the card holder must buy something in order to accumulate the points.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 27th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well AMEX and Mastercard have Bonus Malls

basically they require you use their bonus mall to get cash back and or POINTS Chase does it now too with their Ultimate Rewards.

Amex https://www.bonuspointsmall.com/home.htm?
    http:// MasterCard MarketPlace: Top Offers in Dresses, Shoes, Cameras, and More

I think these types of sites (as well as airline-mile shopping portals) represent the same risk as every other loyalty site. They're out there, some customer will use them, but I think most don't remember.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek View Post
    Well AMEX and Mastercard have Bonus Malls
    basically they require you use their bonus mall to get cash back and or POINTS Chase does it now too with their Ultimate Rewards.
    I think that's what I have. Depending upon the real amount of dollars I spend with my credit card I get a point. A "point" is a made up value, it is not real standard currency nor can such a point usually be transferred.
    I usually collect all my points from the year and pick out one Christmas gift if I have enough points for something decent. I think the program is called "Rewards" and I usually use it once a year.
    People will get excited about redeeming their points in the "Bonus Mall" or "Rewards Program" but in order to get those points in the first place they have to use their credit cards for real monetarily ticketed items/services.

I don't see how this could be a threat to affiliates.
    In fact you can go to an affiliate site, buy a big ticket television set or other big ticket electronic item, pay for it with your credit card and amass "Bonus Points" that way. Of course you'll use the "Bonus points" if you have enough points for something worthwhile, otherwise it seems that I only have enough points for key chains pens, calculators, and small gadgets/junk. It takes a while to collect enough points for something worthwhile and the only way to do that is to pay for an item in real dollars with the credit card. [Beware of hidden credit card fees, they'll bite]
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 27th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I just see AMEX and Mastercard pushing them more than they use too. Everyday Mastercard has a huge savings 50% off any merchant even if u spen 1000 dollars etc. i think more and more people are using them now than ever before.

http and a telephoto
    I have AmEx and MC and never knew those places existed. Probably many others don't either. I don't think affiliates need to worry. If your site ranks for a keyword when a shopper is ready to buy and is searching around, they aren't going to stop and say "wait I can get more points if I shop over at the AmEx mall".

Most people earn points no matter where they shop if they have a rewards card, they aren't going to bother to go back to the mall site.

Plus affiliates don't only work with brands that are at those malls. There are thousands of places with unique items not available at brands or at those malls.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread