ABW Ambassador
    Gee, I need a break. What started out as a relatively "simple task" of adding about 400 pages of pure, new content is ending up being a whole redesign of two of my back end "shopping sections" and a redesign of my main content section that relates to the new content I'm putting in.

The new design and updates I'm putting in look sharp, but, oh my, is it painful and time consuming.

Been going on this now for about a week, and here I'm still plugging away, at 4 am tonight. With a little luck, this little part should be done in another week or so.

Still, in the past, this type of work and redesign has paid dividends in a big way. Just hope this does, too.

I hate any type of site maintenance. I've been trying to update a 15-page site for a month and can't quite finish it off.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

That's why I keep trying to tell merchants that they MUST keep the products and images as stable as possible! Going back and updating a site will be a rare event in most cases. You can't add new merchants thereby giving yourself a potential raise if some program or combination of programs is using your time to do updates that will make you no more money than if they had left their own site alone in the first place.

I HATE DOING UPDATES!

If required to do them very often, I will let your pages become broken un link them from the rest of the sites and let them and sink into oblivion. I don't delete them because even the worst old pages sometimes bring sales or get people to the main site.

Just like I need to focus on adding more merchants and more pages, merchants need to focus on adding more affiliates and therefore more pages from different sources to the net. Constantly trying to wring more and more out of the same old tired group of affiliates who are already doing the best they can for them is self defeating.

Instead of hanging here and expecting ABW members to make my program, if I were a merchant I would be spending hours and hours every day seeing what sites come up on any SERP remotely relevant to my products and writing personal letters to each site owner asking them to join my program. I might even use the US mail and a hand written envelope. And, yes, I would contact the lowly MOM and POP sites, even those on free hosts, as well. Many of them have friends and families who will buy anything just to support the site. And, you don't even have to pay until the commissions reach $25. Cripes, I bet if even one out of ten make one sale, you have covered your postage for most products.

You only want "productive" affiliates? Nonsense. What you want or should want is to get on every site you can unless it is a parasite or some other bad thing. It vastly increases your chance to sell and there is such a thing as branding, you know. Branding makes money when people just remember your site but don't remember where they saw your ad. Why have merchants forgotten about branding in hot pursuit of the super affiliate? That is dumb.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's why I keep trying to tell merchants that they MUST keep the products and images as stable as possible! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do my best to profile relatively stable products. But, this update is all about navigation and in general making things look better - so as to get people off my content pages and into the shopping section of the site.

And the shopping pages that needed to be redesigned were, quite frankly, rather ugly. Not up to my usual site specifications (I got lazy on this section and it rewarded me with lots of work to make it right and few sales prior to this!).

One thing for sure - on a content site at least - shortcuts don't pay. Better to take the time and do it right the first time. It saves you work down the road and you reap the benefit of higher commissions right away.

Well, improving your own work from time to time is needed. I need to really re-do my site because it has become so large that navigation has broken down.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Just a tip. Even though it tends to use a bit more CPU Usage on the server. Have you guys considered using SSI (Server Side Includes) and basically break your webpages into maps.

Example you will have a few pages. Nav.SHTML, Nav2.SHTML, Header.SHTML, Footer.SHTML etc..

and when you want to redesign your pages you just edit those files and not the files with the content them selves. that way you can edit all your pages easier.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What Mikey said.

With my most recent site I used SSI a lot. Little by little as I work on pages from my older sites I'm adding SSI where it might be useful.

"Been going on this now for about a week, and here I'm still plugging away"

We're in the same boat just thought I'd tidy up some pages and before I knew I was knee deep in a site redesign and too far gone to stop.

So a week later with extensive use of SSI and the finish line looming...I'm starting to feel I've gone through some sort of zombie time zone..just can't believe the week has gone!

The good news is google has been hitting the new pages hard and they're already showing up.

I agree on SSI - the trouble is that to adapt an existing site from plain old HTML to SSI you'd have to change the URLs from .htm(l) to .shtml (don't you?). I don't fancy doing that on a site that's generating income.

Certainly all my *new* stuff is done using SSIs.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

No you do not have to change all your file names Dynamoo, you can add something to the .htaccess file that will enable ordinary .htm or .html files to use SSI
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

And in the cases where SSI doesn't solve your problems having a good editor that can do find/replaces using regular expressions is your friend.

http and a telephoto
    Find and replace is your friend!!!!!!!! Definitely!!!!!! Makes life sooo much easier. Dreamweaver is very good at it and the newer Front Page even does a decent job.

SSI's are the best way to go, but need that S&E to make those changes to the SSI calls too
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

you can also change all the suffixes to .php if your server supports it but should do the homework and go a little further with php to avoid security problems.

at least then you can include sections where necessary and have patches of ads appear according to where you want them, changing one or several pages to make the change on many pages at once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    I agree on SSI - the trouble is that to adapt an existing site from plain old HTML to SSI you'd have to change the URLs from .htm(l) to .shtml (don't you?). I don't fancy doing that on a site that's generating income.

Certainly all my *new* stuff is done using SSIs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSanf taught me this trick to make HTML pages do SSI without changing them to the shtml. It works!!

ok - on your htaccess put this in:

AddType text/html .htm
    AddHandler server-parsed .htm

On my server that didn't work so I had to do this one:

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html .htm

Then make your SSI - let it be an .shtml
    Your other pages don't have to change - they can still stay html.

This was the neatest trick since sliced bread!

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

I use them! They aren't enough for my monster site!

I really need to use Java menus but I am afraid the links won't be followed.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    &gt;a bit more CPU Usage on the server. Have you guys considered using SSI

Another option for those who use Frontpage and have small to medium sites is to use the "Include Page" function. This works like SSI but writes the includes into the final page code. You then have to upload all affected pages but at least it is all done and doesn't increase server load. Changing the included page at a later stage then automatically updates affect pages ready for re-upload. Works well if you need to be able to do system wide changes every now and then.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

I can really emphasize with ongoing updates of large sites. I have a couple of very large virtual malls that are a PITA to update. What I do is sort the emails from vendors regarding updates to links into separate folders by domain and every few weeks or so, go through the folders and update the links for the merchants. One of the things that drives me crazy are the merchants that send updated links but update the old links automatically anyway.

I really dread updates and the ones that take the longest like the PSC's are truly a pain. Can't wait for all of the merchants using PSC to use the Dynamic PSC.

On most of my sites, I use Dreamweaver templates - probably not as good as SSI, but they are the next best thing. Updates to the template side takes little time and provides consistency in format. The down side is updates require uploading all changed files affected by the template changes.

http and a telephoto
    I certainly don't want only Dynamic PSC available. Not very search engine friendly. Easy doesn't always mean effective and effective is usually NOT easy.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:

Certainly all my *new* stuff is done using SSIs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You won't have to user .shtml file extentions. You can usee the &lt;!--ssi tag I forget what it is and it will work the same way as if you named the file .shtml

Deborah,

I agree with you that you lose on SE. So far, my experience with the regular SE Friendly PSC pages is they don't rank all that high. Guess there would be many sites using basically the same products. However, as time goes on, perhaps my sites using the regular PSC pages will rank higher and I'll change my opinion. Meanwhile, I like the choice of either Dynamic or static pages. That way if I'm not extremely interested in the product listings, personally, I can use dynamic so that I don't feel like its a chore to have to do updates to the PSC pages.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread