Does a new affiliate site need a landing page?
    Hello there,

I am new to this forum, and new to affiliate marketing, but am very eager to learn and help others where I can (my field of expertise is in WordPress/web development).

At any rate, I am thinking of launching my first affiliate site which would be a content-packed blog with great info and relevant ads, but I understand that the #1 biggest priority is to build a strong email list.

I'm wondering how I would build this list, as I've been told that simply placing the opt-in form in the sidebar makes for very little results when your site is new and unknown.

Here is what I am thinking to start:

1) Create a really simple 10 or so page e-book that I'll give away for free
    2) Create a very attractive landing page on my domain with a video intro and give the e-book away for free in exchange for an email sign up
    3) Once the user has confirmed their signup and received their e-book, then I'd direct them to my affiliate site, which would be blog.[mydomain].com (as opposed to www.[mydomain].com where the landing page would live).

Does that sound like a smart first stab at it, or do you think I'm missing the mark here?

Thanks so much!

Doron

#1 biggest priority is to build a strong email list
    Who told you that?

As a full-time affiliate-marketer, I long abandoned the idea of an email distribution list. In my opinion (and experience) you would be better off concentrating on your domain - just fill it with good content and those relevant ads.

Nothing wrong with your ebook idea, but you may want to focus on content - ebook, video & subdomain sounds more complicated than it might be worth. Is an email address that important if they already found your domain? Regular & informative posts would keep them coming back.

You didn't mention your topic.. would it be Wordpress? If you're familiar, and enjoy the topic, that would be a great starting point.

And welcome to ABW!

Thanks so much for the great feedback!

That's great to know. since the task of quickly creating a strong email list seemed a bit daunting, especially for a blog site.

As for my topic, I'm actually a sax player who's toured and recorded around the world. So I'm actually planning on making my first affiliate blog site on the topic of saxophone players/music, as well as the instrument itself and related products.

As for the blogging approach, I have been told that this is one of the slower paths to profitability. Keeping in mind that patience and persistence are the operative words here, I'm still curious to get a lay of the land as far as how the various approaches *generally* work.

Would you say that a blog site is *likely* to be a longer haul than a simple site with a few pages that just focuses on a single product, or is there no way to determine which way would be faster/easier?

That said, blogging seems a lot more fun, but *a lot* more work.

Thanks again,

Doron
    Last edited by dorono; September 29th, 2010 at 02:07 AM.

No reason to limit yourself to one or the other. Once you have a hosted domain you can have as many as you want to manage. There is no rule book as to what works or what will not because too much depends on you. You can build a site of a few pages for one product and do the blog about your own real interests. You may earn money sooner on a niche site but in the long haul your own interests written from your perspective and background will probably have a very good loyal following.

Once you get started you will learn from your own experience the things no book will teach you about what works for you and what does not.

That is indeed great advice. Creating a blog and then having some individual sales pages for various products that I think my audience would love sounds like a very viable strategy.

After being on this forum for less than 24 hours, I am really impressed by the generosity of the 2 folks who have already replied, so thanks so much for the great insights guys!

Still start to build your list
    Content is key so you definitely need to have good valuable content on your blog or website to keep attracting new visitors and best of all Google loves freshly created content. Its still a good idea however to create something of value like the ebook that you wanted to, place the optin form on your site and start creating your email list. It will take time to build your list so that's why you need to start now and be patient. The money is indeed in the list and thats why its so widely recommended in the industry. When you have a list you can build a relationship with that list and sell to that list over and over again. You have to try and capture the contact info of persons who visit your site since you don't know if they will ever come back to your site and you would have lost a potential lead.

@omarsev Great advice, thanks so much, will do what you recommend for sure!

The money is indeed in the list and thats why its so widely recommended in the industry
    This is just an opinion... I'm a full-time affiliate marketer (do this for a living), and I long ago abandoned the idea of an email list.

I spend my days adding relevant content - trying to build a better suite of sites to attract new visitors, and give existing readers a reason to return. Part of the learning process has been understanding what readers are looking for, and also to determine which marketing techniques generate more sales.
    As for the blogging approach, I have been told that this is one of the slower paths to profitability
    Blogs have morphed into general content sites - you can create/manage static pages, but still add fresh content easily. Slow and steady usually wins the race - the growth is more measurable and sustainable.

Your topic sounds interesting, and your Wordpress experience will serve you well! Good luck

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread