Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Got the prompt last night for begin download of the XP update. I'm not sure how long it will take to complete on cable as they are going to be chunking the download even at high speed connections. The update is anywhere from 75MB to 266MB. It's still downloading for me. I've also gotten the download prompt on the test computer. I guess all the stuff I've installed in the past has put me up closer to the top of the list for the install.

So far the only thing I've seen happen is that going into my Network connections properties authentication and the firewall were turned on. Thankfully the MS firewall didn't trash my internet connection as it has in the past (I've never been able to run it if I wanted to be connected).

I'll let people know the changes I'm seeing as it gets installed and how effective it is what MS has been claiming it will do. I may be asking folks to pm me known URL's for drive-by installs in the next few days.

Any particular behaviors anyone wants to know about, please post in this thread.

it will be interesting to hear about the changes.
    I'm not sure if I'll download it yet..might wait awhile to hear a few more reports

I'm darned well not installing *that* until I *have* to. My PC runs just fine without it, everything is screwed down in security terms (firewall, anti-virus) and I don't use IE or Outlook Express anyway. SP2 will probably just break something useful.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you also have your ActiveX set to prompt
    and not allow it on sites you don't trust.
    ActiveX has been causing most of the problems
    people are having.

Yeah I know what you are saying Moo. Kind of scares me too. Potentially 266MB of stuff that can go wrong. All in the sake of testing. Many affs here have been banking on this SP update to 'fix' a lot of the problems regarding parasiteware. So I'm really interested in seeing how much of an actual impact it is going to have. I did have quite a scare this morning when I rebooted the computer for the first time after it started downloading and I lost all internet connections. Tried several things and couldn't get a connection. I was on the verge of a panicked "I've really just screwed myself" when my modem finally decided to catch up with my cable company and show my access was down.

Wayne, I've had those set for over 2 years along with other measures. I've never gotten one application on this computer that I didn't put there intentionally. Ok, I did get 2 once, but it was because I had a hand twitch while on the mouse and accidentally clicked the wrong button.

Weeell.. general advice is to make sure you've got a good backup, including a Ghost image if you can.

Make sure you have a plan B for getting onto the web. If your machine doesn't come up again properly, then you'll probably need web access to fix it. Google Groups is excellent for this sort of thing, it'll be full of people doing the same thing and the messages are usually only a few hours old.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Good advice Moo in general. Excellent points for all whenever an MS update is allowed through. And one I'm guility of not always doing. I do have another box for access thankfully. Now if I could just get my cable company to keep their systems up and running today.

I have it on my main machine and love it so far. No pop ups unless I say ok. Other than that, I haven't seen anything different.

I did not update my test machine with it though. There are going to be a lot of people out there that won't update because their machines are older models and from what I've read, SP2 would cause problems with them. I want the test machine to see and act like theirs.

Right Linda. Also, it's only for XP. Still folks out there with other OS.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One thing I'm curious about is if it can jam junk that was *already* downloaded.

And, can it tell the difference between junk BHOs and things like the Google Toolbar, or does it just nuke everything?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    My daughter upgraded and her Google toolbar wasn't affected. It did affect Front Pages ability to connect to the net, but I have her using WS_FTP to get around that for now. We thought it trashed her connection today, but like Mrs B, it was the Time Warner RR that crashed!!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

with a file size range that large you know they're replacing much more than IE and go-withs.

It will be interesting to hear how long it takes on the average to actually install, although I bet it just replaces large chunks of code instead.

herb I saw an article about the timeframes a bit back. I can't remember what they said for high speed, but for dial-up it was up to 3 days. I still hven't gotten the prompt that it's ready to install yet. And I'm seeing nothing new on my browser. Maybe I need to get off the computer so it will finish what it needs to do.

3 days on dialup
    So broadband would probably take 1 day-even that's too much.
    Afraid by everything I've read so far, I'm going to take the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line

Nah it should only take a couple of minutes on broadband. If you get 2 mb/second you should be able to load 266MB in 133 seconds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Weeell.. general advice is to make sure you've got a good backup, including a Ghost image if you can.

Make sure you have a plan B for getting onto the web. If your machine doesn't come up again properly, then you'll probably need web access to fix it. Google Groups is excellent for this sort of thing, it'll be full of people doing the same thing and the messages are usually only a few hours old. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you Dynamoo! I won't fix something that isn't broke! I've been working with MS software all the way back to DOS. MS has put out some Crap for service packs over the years. It's best to wait and see how it works out on OTHER people's computers first.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread