Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Question Merchant Banners with 800 Numbers
    I was just approved for a program on GAN, and upon looking through their available banner selection, I was horrified to see this. I immediately sent the following email:
    Hello,

I was just approved for the XYZ affiliate program, and the first thing I did was to look through your selection of banners.

I was astonished to see several banners with a prominently displayed 800 phone number for call-in orders.

As I see it, you are asking your affiliates to display banners on their sites that will influence their site visitors to call your number and place orders, without even clicking on the banner. This amounts to free advertising, as it totally eliminates the likelihood of your affiliates from receiving credit, and their hard-earned commissions, for providing paying customers to your site.

I am really interested in hearing your opinion regarding this, and your thinking in creating such banners.
    I will follow up, and may or many not name the merchant depending on their response. I am posting this now, though, so that people can be aware that merchants are doing this, and to look carefully at merchant banners before placing them on your sites.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hi AffiliateHound,

Can you please let me know who it is via PM? We have some merchants who also commission on phone calls. I'd like to investigate and see if that is the case.

Thanks!

Jamie

PM sent.

I am really surprised that no other affiliates have shown any interest in this.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; October 6th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I contact the affiliate reps and tell them I won't use their banners until the 800 number is removed. I then ask for permission to use the banners with the 800 number erased. They always say no, but in all cases, the 800 number disappeared with the next banner update.

I am really surprised that no other affiliates have shown any interest in this.
    I think it was not because of lack of interest, but where it was posted. The problem is not unique to GAN.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I think it was not because of lack of interest, but where it was posted. The problem is not unique to GAN.
    You are right. This is not unique to GAN. It seems to be an increasing "problem". If this is all that is offered to work with, I don't post any banners for the merchant.

I also hesitate to promote a merchant who displays an 800 number at the top of their home page.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

The merchant in question has now updated their banners, replacing the telephone number with their url.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread