New Google Indexing
    After vast amount of making a keyword rich pages I am hearing that Google is no longer looking at Keywords meta tags. Is it true? I am also hearing that instead, Google is using 14 points by which it index the site. Do you know what they are?

Second, Have you heard of the company web.com?

I don't know how much water that can hold about the keywords. Words are what are typed in while performing a search. Without them there would be know way to measure any type of relevance among pages!
    I can't see how they would get around that little obstacle.
    Let's put it this way, I wouldn't go disreguarding your on-page SEO towards your keywords just yet.
    As far as these 14 points...don't know. I can tell you this, I wouldn't be suprised if it was more like 1400 points the way things are today.

The content of your page is what matters. The impact - if any at all - of having meta keywords in place is so miniscule that it wouldn't make any quantifiable difference if you did not use any at all.
    Last edited by davidh; October 1st, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I think I may have missunderstood what he was asking at first. I read a bit too fast and thought he was more talking about the pages keywors in general.

my mistake

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It has been quite some time (3+ years I believe) since Google has been taking keyword metatags into much consideration with respect to ranking. They still may have a function with Google, however, like perhaps in the "quality" of your page when doing PPC. They also might influence the type of ads displayed on sites showing contextual ads.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Ahh the age old "Google doesn't look at keywords" statement I see this about every month or so.

Everything on the page matters. Some elements more than others. Nobody.. let me repeat... NOBODY knows exactly how much each element of a page matters. More than likely non-duplicate recently updated content is very important. Same is true for the number of inbound links. What makes sense in the real world makes sense on google. The places that have new and relevant items (updated content) and the places that everybody else talks about (inbound links) get more traffic and more attention than other places.

Other things matter too, but likely not as much - just like in the real world. So yes keywords probably matter. To what extent - who knows and who cares. Take care of them and make sure that your meta information and your title information is unique for each page. It is a very easy thing to do. Once it is done you don't have to worry about whether it matters any more. If it doesn't matter - no loss. If it does matter, then you are a step ahead of your competition
    Last edited by PatrickAllmond; October 1st, 2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: speling!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Matt Cutts says officially that G does not use the keywords meta tags at all. I believe that other search engines still give them some value though.
    The information is available at http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html
    (Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Google does not use the keywords meta tag in web ranking)
    Video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU&feature=player_embedded
    (YouTube - Google does not use the keywords meta tag in web ranking)

Q: Does Google ever use the "keywords" meta tag in its web search ranking?
    A: In a word, no. Google does sell a Google Search Appliance, and that product has the ability to match meta tags, which could include the keywords meta tag. But that's an enterprise search appliance that is completely separate from our main web search. Our web search (the well-known search at Google.com that hundreds of millions of people use each day) disregards keyword metatags completely. They simply don't have any effect in our search ranking at present.

It doesn't change my answer.

1. There are other search engines besides google. Since google is so saturated the original poster needs to keep in mind any of the other SEs.

2. Google constantly changes what it uses to rank a page. I'd LMAO if everybody abandoned doing anything with keywords and in a year Matt Cutts makes a video saying "Well what I said before wasn't entirely true" or "we changed our algorithm and now we do use them again"
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

My response was to the OP's question that was asked about G and keyword metatags specifically so I gave some references (that are useful for more info as well).
    Nothing wrong with leaving them in place IMHO. I still use them because there are other SE's out there - and I don't have time to take them all out anyway.

Affiliate Manager
    As mentioned above no the keywords meta isn't considered by Google anymore, but this isn't a new thing, this has been the case for years, and to rightly put a stop to keyword stuffing and ranking for things you shouldn't be ranking for.

I don't know what their 14 points are... I don't think anyone can tell you exactly as they don't disclose their exact algorithm.

I can tell you what works for me though, and simply put; if you have your meta title as your main keyword, with this echoed again in your H1 title on your page, and then again with this keyword somewhere within the text on your page - once or twice for a 300+ word article, or if it is a longer page you can use it more, or varients of it. Of course your 300+ words should be all around the topic area your keyword concerns too.

Whole 10 set DVD courses have been created going into further depth about my 3 sentences above, but imo, that is the real BASICS on on page optimisation.

However then there is off page optimisation - which is 80% of the ranking algorithm (imo).

Again, there are $1000 courses and entire books on off page optimisation, but the BASICS of it is that you need to get QUALITY backlinks to your site which use your keyword in the anchor text that they link to you with. With multiple backlinks all going to your site with the same keywords this tells Google that lots of QUALITY sites are giving you their blessing as an authority site on the subject, and that you should rank for these keywords.

There are tools you can use which will analyse your webpage(s) for the keywords you want to rank for - tell you where you haven't included them enough, or have done so too much, and will also compare your site to the top sites in Google currently for the keywords you want to rank for. You can even see how many backlinks everyone has got that you are competing with, and the sources they are getting these backlinks from... in this way you can reverse engineer this so you can rank too.
    Last edited by Subliminal; October 1st, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I always add keywords, better to have than not to have. Some smaller search engines still use meta-keywords.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Google doesn't pay as much attention to meta keywords as it used to, but doesn't mean the other search engines don't

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick View Post
    Ahh the age old "Google doesn't look at keywords" statement I see this about every month or so.

Everything on the page matters. Some elements more than others. Nobody.. let me repeat... NOBODY knows exactly how much each element of a page matters. More than likely non-duplicate recently updated content is very important. Same is true for the number of inbound links. What makes sense in the real world makes sense on google. The places that have new and relevant items (updated content) and the places that everybody else talks about (inbound links) get more traffic and more attention than other places.

Other things matter too, but likely not as much - just like in the real world. So yes keywords probably matter. To what extent - who knows and who cares. Take care of them and make sure that your meta information and your title information is unique for each page. It is a very easy thing to do. Once it is done you don't have to worry about whether it matters any more. If it doesn't matter - no loss. If it does matter, then you are a step ahead of your competition
    +1 and great detail. Thank you for this post.

Be thorough, if google 'doesn't care' you still should. Regardless of what is being said in marketing circles you want your entire page and all of the elements within to reflect your business, product, or services, in full.

Cheers.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread