Using Odesk's Time Tracking Software - alternatives? bad/good idea?
    I did not find my people on Odesk but was considering asking them to use Odesk's team software because it will give me a better handle on the hours they are working and it gives us some other chat/collaboration tools.

The time tracker makes me a little nervous, what do you think? My people are full-time so they are not being paid hourly but they agreed to put in 40hrs/week so I want to make sure they stay honest. I told them I am not going to be a hard-ass and I will let them know if I have concerns. Have you used this with your people and how did your people react? I am considering giving them a slight raise at the same time as a tradeoff.

One Australian DBA profession I talk to felt oDesk was completely demeaning when I suggested it to him (he was out of work - doing odd projects) because of the tracking features.

Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    One Australian DBA profession I talk to felt oDesk was completely demeaning when I suggested it to him (he was out of work - doing odd projects) because of the tracking features.
    Not sure if it makes a difference but I am hiring Filipino's mostly fresh out of college.

Alternative to odesk team
    A good alternative is Time Doctor - better actually

I use a Filipino as well and pay by the hour. Here's my thoughts on it. Do I get 20 hours a week? Maybe, but probably not. Do I get good quality work at a great price? Absolutely. And that's all I care about. Realistically, you're paying probably 1/4 of what you'd have to pay someone in the US.

When I first hired them, I knew what I could do in 1 hour. But I can't expect someone else to have the same passion and speed doing menial tasks as I did. So I did a trial to see how much work they would produce in a week, and I was happy with the amount of work they were doing. So as long as they are in that range, I'm happy.

alternative to oDesk tool
    A good alternative to oDesk time tracking tool is Worksnaps. It allows you to track and verify remote worker's work. It does everything oDesk does (and more), and it is not bound to any freelancing market place.

Yes, some people feel irritated of being tracked on time spent on work. But many companies do this -- attendance reporting, time cards, network traffic monitoring and etc. The tool is useful if you adopt it to your scenario and workplace culture.
    Last edited by 2busy; April 28th, 2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Removed Link

For salaried workers, I don't really see the need for taking screenshots of their desktop. I agree with gcarson. Decide on how much work you need out of them each week and negotiate deadlines. Deadlines are a two way street and you need to get them to buy into your proposed workload.

I do use odesk screenshots and the odesk messaging system for my hourly workers, but I am also using odesk to recruit workers. The screenshots have helped me decide who to fire and it is a red flag if someone refuses to supply screenshots.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Require daily reports with tasks and time detailed. If you feel it took too much time for a task challenge them. If they aren't forthcoming then you could move in that direction. The other is to require that they be available on chat and you use that as a primary means to update the with tasks. When you have trouble getting hold of them its a red flag. Again give them the benefit of the doubt. The other option if you have several outsourced people is to hire a supervisor in country to coordinate then request accountability.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread