Recently there has been some kind of search results showing up every so often in a new frame vertically on the edge of my open browser window...is this some kind of spyware, adware, what? I can't figure out how to get rid of it and it is not site related that I can tell, it has even popped up when viewing my own site.

Sounds like adware/spyware.

Try running Ad Aware.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

It sounds like adware. Did you download any "free" software lately?

JP's right, run Ad Aware (Lavasoft.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

I haven't downloaded anything that I remember...it took me forever to get rid of some Kazaa stuff so I am trying to be super careful.

MisterBill, you're thinking 2001/2002 spyware.... back when you were safe by just not downloading questionable programs.

Now you get adware/spyware/malware/whateverware just by surfing. Active X downloads happen and install automatically with most people's browser settings (including probably yourself) when you surf a "bad" site. You don't get a warning, and there's no direct easy indication that somethign is on your PC.

If you run AdAware, there's a very good chance you'll find much unscrupulous installs on your PC.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

You're not talking about the IE search bar, are you?

If not, I would agree with the others. Sounds like spyware. AdAware (as JP and CDC recommended) removes all but the most insidious spyware programs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sheesh! I downloaded and ran the ad-aware...over 400 instances of various adware, malware...thiefware...shouldn't my firewall stop some of this?
    I am not sure how they redirect purchases to their affiliate sites but that bites for those of us building legitimately run and promoted affiliate sites.

Of those 400, many are probably harmless cookies, but no doubt you have some bad applications there too.

Not all adware/spyware will steal commission. Some just pop ads. Some hijack your homepage. Some do tricks with email. Others take over your modem and call expensive long distance numbers.... and some steal commission.

How COULD it steal affiliate commission? Well it could stuff an advertiser cookie on your PC, so that when you do buy from that particular advertiser, they see their cookie on your PC, and track the commission back to the spyware owner.

Another way would be overwriting search engine requests. So you search for MP3 players (and it could just display PPC Search Engine results) or allows real results, but when you click on a link, it pops up a merchant selling a similar product so you buy from them instead.

There are many ways spyware can do you wrong, and no easy way to rid yourself of it... and no permanent way to protect yourself either. Even Ad Aware cannot find every spyware out there, so if you were to run another anti-spyware program, it would probably find others that AdAware missed. Worse, some spywares are very nasty in that there are several parts to them, and while AdAware can remove some, some others still stay on your PC and immdiately replicate the missing files.... so you're reinfected as soon as you open your browser again.

It can be quite ugly.

So...is there a way to tell if your website has been a victim of this thiefware?

That I don't know. I don't think so, other than actually seeing it happen yourself.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread