EverCookie: Permanent Cookies
    Hi all,
    I stumbled across this this morning and would love your input. Essentially everCookie is a practically undeletable cookie that puts itself in 10 different spots on your computer and regenerates itself if you delete any one of the 10 (my understanding). It is practically undeletable.

This is the description from the developer website:
    DESCRIPTION

evercookie is a javascript API available that produces extremely persistent cookies in a browser. Its goal is to identify a client even after they've removed standard cookies, Flash cookies (Local Shared Objects or LSOs), and others. evercookie accomplishes this by storing the cookie data in several types of storage mechanisms that are available on the local browser. Additionally, if evercookie has found the user has removed any of the types of cookies in question, it recreates them using each mechanism available. Specifically, when creating a new cookie, it uses the following storage mechanisms when available: - Standard HTTP Cookies - Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies) - Storing cookies in RGB values of auto-generated, force-cached PNGs using HTML5 Canvas tag to read pixels (cookies) back out - Storing cookies in and reading out Web History - Storing cookies in HTTP ETags - Internet Explorer userData storage - HTML5 Session Storage - HTML5 Local Storage - HTML5 Global Storage - HTML5 Database Storage via SQLite TODO: adding support for: - Silverlight Isolated Storage - window.name caching - Using Java to produce a unique key based off of NIC info
    Would love to hear your thoughts on this and it's impact on affiliate marketing. Some comments have suggested that this could only be a threat if merchants (3rd party cookies) started using this but that affiliate sites (1st party cookies) may not be "unoverwritable".

http://blog.demib.com/evercookie-affiliate-marketing.html
    http://samy.pl/evercookie/

I read it but I am not super tech savy so I am not exactly sure that I am getting it. What I understood is that whenever a customer tries to delete the cookie, this program just makes a new one somewhere else? Does the user know about this? Sounds a little deceptive to me, almost like virus.

Don't think I like this either. We may not like it when users delete cookies but it's certainly their right. This type of cookie implies "I don't care what you want, I want my cookie on your computer. Period.".

Most likely the underbelly, and clueless merchants, of the Internet will love this idea-until the government comes after them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

http and a telephoto
    The Government will jump all over something planted on computers that isn't removable.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Merchants/affiliates/organizations that utilize persistent cookies of any type are assuming that they have the right to exist on a users computer regardless of the users wishes. THEY ARE WRONG, and they will eventually destroy all trust between users and organizations that set cookies. ALL COOKIES.

As Loxly stated, they'll also force government intervention and if I know our government, the solution will be much broader than the original problem actually calls for and will create an additional burden for all that have a legitimate need to set cookies.

Eventually persistent cookies will be treated the same as virus' and spyware are treated today. Some smart technologist will develop a way to remove them or even better, block access to sites that utilize them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    A user should always be able to delete the cookies (all of them) if they so desire.

Anything that makes this harder should never be allowed. We may not want them to delete the cookie, but they must always have that option.

If last cookie wins: this would violate that concept since an affiliate using this method could then overwrite the cookie of a later affiliate.

It could also lead to many reversals as it could poison a merchants computer and locally placed orders would all get the self regenerating cookie.

I don't see this as anything different than a virus or toolbar that is designed to drop cookies regardless of clicks (just a new type of fraud).

Really underhanded to me. As mentioned, it's the users right to delete the cookie if they want to. Just as it's the right of the buyer to choose your merchant vs. somebody else.
    To many shady things going on with that.
    So who's cookie would be overwritten? Or would it cause a melt down when a few of these got onto one computer and they were all trying to overwrite eachother and none of the could be deleted.
    I'm not sure how that works anyway. If acookie is set and then the user comes into contact with another, is the initial cookie just overwritten or is it deleted and then replaced by the most recent one?
    If it is deleted then it might cause a problem I would think.
    You would have hese cookies overwritting and deleting eachother...on second thought it would be like a "cookie battle" on your PC...sweet!

Cookies all battling for the right to the final sale!

Not that I agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    The Government will jump all over something planted on computers that isn't removable.
    Yep and it will make all the security utilities rich as fear of cookies builds even toward the harmless ones. In the long run it can't be allowed to happen.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lintlin View Post
    Essentially everCookie is a practically undeletable cookie that puts itself in 10 different spots on your computer and regenerates itself if you delete any one of the 10 (my understanding). It is practically undeletable.
    Wouldn't this be considered a virus????

I recently had a bout with a virus which planted itself in 3 places on my computer. Each time I removed one part, the others would reproduce it. It was impossible to kill all three at the same time.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

In the Code of Ethics being put together by the Web Analytics Association, items like this are specifically mentioned as a bad business practice.

When you take a step back (or maybe you don't even have to), it's simple to realize that a visitors computer is just that. Their computer.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Anything that prevents overwriting of our cookies, after our hardwork is to be welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by dagaul101 View Post
    Anything that prevents overwriting of our cookies, after our hardwork is to be welcomed
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! The use of persistent cookies will cause distrust among users and will eventually hurt online sales. Once customers start to think of online retailers as parasites where will your business come from?

Besides that, as affiliates we're used to last cookie gets the sale. How do you think it will impact your business when ONLY the first cookie gets the sale? Remember, if the cookie can't be overwritten, if a prospect is already cookied and you send them back to the merchant site and they make a subsequent purchase you will not receive credit. A cookie stuffers paradise.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! The use of persistent cookies will cause distrust among users and will eventually hurt online sales. Once customers start to think of online retailers as parasites where will your business come from?

Besides that, as affiliates we're used to last cookie gets the sale. How do you think it will impact your business when ONLY the first cookie gets the sale? Remember, if the cookie can't be overwritten, if a prospect is already cookied and you send them back to the merchant site and they make a subsequent purchase you will not receive credit. A cookie stuffers paradise.

-rematt
    Perfectly stated.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Cookies need to be passive. Self regenerating cookies are begging for (over)regulation.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread