Google Finding Your Products
    Has anyone seen products from their popshops store in any Google results? I am wondering if all the keywords I am manually putting into item titles and descriptions will ever be found in search results. There is a lot of competition from Google Merchant listings.

PopShops products aren't supposed to bring traffic to your site, they are supposed to work in conjunction with the rest of the content on your site. The merchant whose products you have in your shops will nearly always outrank you in searches unless you are adding in more content related to the products.
    The idea isn't to outrank merchants by using PopShops services.

Popshops SEO
    Thanks, so do you think adding keywords to products has any value?

I don't think it can hurt, but it is more important to have unique and relevant content on the page that the shop is on, and in other places on your site. If you are just adding keywords out of context then your visitors may be more confused than impressed. The product titles and descriptions are supposed to help people know more about the product and help them decide to buy.

orbit - which version of the Popshops code are you using?

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

PopShops SEO
    I am using pro unlimited. I am adding keywords in the custom area of new shop to the products. It is my understanding from POPShops that Google will read these item descriptions when they crawl. As far as competing with the Merchants, I am not using the same keywords as they would and descriptions are still intact for people who are looking to buy something. I had a similar website, but the products came from a feed direct from my dropship supplier. I could then submit that feed to Google Base. This is where a lot of my traffic came from. Google Base will not accept affiliate type feeds like those in Popshops though.

Sorry orbit, I should have been more specific. Are you "popping in" the PHP code, javascript, HTML, etc etc? Which version of code are you using?

Popshops SEO
    I am using Javascript code. I pop it into a Weebly site.

Using the Javascript version your custom descriptions and keywords are only seen by visitors. Google and others "don't do javascript". PopShops explains that on their site. For your pages and products to be spidered, they need to be in php, html or one of their other options. Good luck!

Thanks 2busy ... that's just what I was getting ready to (try to) explain and you did it so well. I hated to think about all that extra work orbit was doing in case his/her keywords weren't being seen.

It looked like that's what you were getting at. Good thing you asked orbit, because it didn't occur to me that they had missed that part. Didn't mean to get in your way but I saw the response last night and thought they should know ASAP.

Creating specific product-oriented pages can help your site be found for many long-tail product keywords in Google, Yahoo & Bing. Keyword-loading a page isn't necessarily a good idea, but once you're using PopShop code that can be spidered by the SEs (PHP or other code schemes as 2busy pointed out), experiment/test & see what works best for you.

Use an analytics program to see how visitors find your site, such as Google Analytics or check out the Piwik thread on ABW for more ideas.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; October 7th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Spidering
    Thanks, everyone. I will use one of the other code versions and see what happens.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread